Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Lee Classic Turret powder drop options

Boolit Bub

Question Lee Classic Turret powder drop options

Alright folks, I know this is something that has been covered in the past, but I don't see a lot of current info out there.

Backstory
    I began reloading with a single stage and the cheap lee "perfect powder measure" (which is far from perfect). I later jumped to the turret and the auto disc, which has its features and problems. I did the double disc kit and the whole gambit of different things to it. I remained unimpressed with its capacity and accuracy. After a few years with that, I picked up the auto drum a while after it came out, thinking that its infinitely adjustable design and magnum drum would be the solution to all of my prior issues with the disc style!

My issue
    I love most of my lee equipment, but these powder measures (and the lee safety powder scale for that matter) were not one of them. All of these measures have leaked significant amounts of powder (especially ball or flattened ball). I have probably swept up a half pound of more of powder over the years. My bigger issue is that the powder gets everywhere, on my hands, in the press, gums up the already finicky priming system, etc...

In addition, my auto drum has lately started doing this thing where it won't quite return all of the way back to home (despite my messing with the tension on the drum retaining screw), causing powder charges to vary more than I am comfortable with, even for plinking ammo.

I will also be honest that after so much fiddling I start to become irritated about all of the plastic bulls*** and how the design of both rotating lee measures relies on the mating force of the two halves to be set by what is basically a wood screw going into plastic

Where I'm at
    So, I still use my auto drum for rifle and the lee perfect powder measure for pistol, but I am nearing my wits end with them. I have seen people say its only the early auto drums that do it and to try a new set of drums, try lapping compound, etc, etc, etc... I do not believe mine is early enough to be of that group. And to be honest, with the new problem of it not returning fully, I'm really just looking for something better. I am not sure how much longer my psyche can stand the crunching sound as the drum rotates.

Question
    What is everyone else doing for their powder dispensing needs? I have seen people get better measures and mount them on stands above the turret and manually throw. This might be nice because with two mounting locations it could replace both of my measures?

These are just my ramblings, but to be honest I am frustrated and a little stuck as to what to try next.
    Thanks in advance!
    Cole

Boolit Mold
    Hey mate, hello from New Zealand. I have owned and use all the Lee measures you mention except the double disc rifle setup. I've also had 2 Lyman 55s, and an old Hornady Pacific. I have Dillon measures on 550 presses and currently an RCBS bench mount.

I use fine ball powders including a lot of.
    WC286. I find all the measures will leak 296 to some extent, with the best performance from the cheap Lee Perfect and then the Perfect Deluxe. The key with them is to condition them by running a full lb of powder thru them first. I regret moving my first Lee Perfect on to a new Reloader, the powder barrel was dark with graphite from use. It was super accurate with fine powder and only beaten by the RCBS on stick. The Dillons are good, very accurate but will leak 296 a bit. I don't use them for rifle calibres. The Lee disc I like for Pistol powders like Universal or disc and flake powders. With a bit of seating and polishing work on them which I think you've maybe done, along with new wipers from Lee, they are very accurate and consistent. I have adapted a couple to work on Dillon 550 presses. The Lyman 55s I really disliked, the brass barrel wears on the cutting edge unlike a steel RCBS or Hornady.

In short, chasing leak free measures for fine powders can be a real rabbit hole. You may find the little cheap Lee you already have is as good as any. I do agree with you on the Lee Balance scale. Adding a couple of disc magnets to the offside makes a huge difference dampening the pointer. I keep one for a travel kit but there are a lot better ones out there for regular use.

Best of luck.

J.

Boolit Master

Someone has an RCBS uniflow powder measure for cheap on swapping and selling. Then get a case activated set up for it https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012747927?pid=591344 I also purchased a pistol drum for it and reloading is a dream. It never leaks and it is a solid as a rock. I tried the Lee thing too and had the same experience with their powder measures.

Invest in two Hornady powder measures.

One for pistol with the case activation assembly, the second for rifle without a case activation assembly.

You can technically have only one, and swap out the pistol rotor with the rifle rotor each time, but it's more convenient to have two.

They work with measuring inserts that are quick change, so you can have one for each common load pre-set.

I prefer the micrometer insert for rifle, that way I just need one, and I record the number on it for each charge and type of powder.

I share one pistol measure between two progressives, each press is setup with it's own case activation bottom linkage and I move the measure between them. You can buy a complete case activation assembly, or just the bottom that fits into the press called the Quick Change Powder Die.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee Pro Autodisc for all my pistol reloading and have virtually no leakage with any powder. I work up my standard loads with the newer Perfect Powder measure, then customize a disc using a tapered reamer to match my final charge and mark it for a standard load. I’ve found this works great on my Lee Classic Cast turret press. For rifle I load on single stages using the Lee Deluxe Perfect Powder Measure. Once I get my load worked out I then use one of the extra plastic drums set for a particular load, mark it and set it aside. I’ve had no issues with leakage on this PM either.

I also use the Lee Pro Auto Disk on my Lee Classic Turret without trouble. Years ago I covered the bottom of the dispenser with a single sheet of clear packing tape. (with a hole for the powder to flow through) I even purchased a 2nd Pro Auto Disc. I removed the plastic hopper and made one from copper.( yes, a copper hopper) This dispenser is dedicated to black powder use. Neither leaks powder and both are accurate enough for me to make master class in Lever Action Silhouette. On the Lee Pro Auto Disk converted for black powder I even use/created a triple disk function. I use it for loading 45-70 to feed my 1886 Winchester.

Boolit Grand Master

Scoops .... little plastic scoops or scoops I make from small brass shells .
    I regulate them to scoop a particular grain weight of powder ... then record what weight they scoop with what powder .
    It's the easiest , safest , fool proof way to dispense powder .
    I see the powder go into the case ... I inspect all charged cases in the tray ... I inspect the charge a third time when I place a boolit into the case mouth ... I know danged well there is one charge in there not two charges and not no charge ...
    It may not be automated but it's accurate and safe .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Lee PPM that I got in '90. It is one of the most accurate and repeatable powder measures I own (5). I have been able to measure charges of W231 with +/- .5 grain over 10 charges and +/-.75 gr. for 25. I have had WC820 leak, but with a bit of cleaning and lapping, I now only get a dusting after a session (40-50 charges).I learned that any powder measure needs consistent use to give consistent charges (same speed, same pressure, same throw, same hopper load, etc.). I also own/use a C-H 502 powder measure and to get consistent results, it also must be used consistently (been while since I checked, but IIRC I can keep +/- .5 gr with CFE Pistol with my 502). I weigh a lot of my powder charges (most and with some, load work ups, cartridges/powders all charges weighed)...

Don't own the other tools you mention, but with any powder measure, consistency is the key. I also own a Lee Safety Scale. When I first got it I had heard of weighing a piece of kleenex. so I cut a piece of single ply tissue, about 1/2 the size of a postage stamp, and weighed it several times. Scale read the same weight each time. Yes the scale is a bit slower, some cannot/will not learn to read a vernier scale, but is as accurate and repeatable as any of my 4 other beam scales.

Perhaps operator error plays a major part in Lee tool "failures"?
    Last edited by mdi; 07-19-2022 at 01:08 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I use the Lee Auto Drum with my Lee Classic Cast Turret press. It's case activated and attaches to Lee Expanding dies. If your reloading setup doesn't have Lee expanding dies, they aren't too expensive. You can also use the Lee Short or Lee Long Charging die for calibers that regularly come with only 2 die sets.

The best part about it is that you can swap out the drums so that you can keep your favorite load handy.
    If you're feeling fancy, you can have multiple Auto Drums with different powders handy so that all you have to do is put the Auto Drum that you need into your setup.

Edit: Whoops! Read the rest of your post and you seem to have some trouble with your own Auto drum! That's a shame. I've been very satisfied with mine and it has withstood thousands of uses so far.
    Last edited by VariableRecall; 07-19-2022 at 01:44 PM.