Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grooves Again?

Boolit Master

Grooves Again?

---I posted for input ( Borrow Your Brain) in ref. to a 38-55 I'm gonna have JES re-bore. How many grooves do you suggest, got some really good response & then the post has been removed, Why is that? Oh well, I appreciate all of the knowledge that was posted & shared & would like to hear more of your input. pretty much settled on the twist rate but input on that subject is always welcome. What's your opinion? Thanks -06

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Your original post was not deleted, but rather moved to a more appropriate section of the forum. Check the "Gunsmithing" section, your post is still there.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    I would really like to hear from the hunters who have dealt with this scenario, Thank You. -06

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 308 win Henry single shot rifle that Was rebored by Jes to 358 Win. I opted for the 3-groove rifling and 1:14” turn. It is very accurate and works well.
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JES did a Rem Seven Predator to 0.358" 3 grooves for a 350 Legend 1:16" Shoots jacketed and cast well. Kind of neat when you retrieve fired bullets and look at the engraved grooves / lands.

Boolit Buddy
    I had Jess doa rebore on a 223 ruger #3 to a 350 legend it also has the 3 groove ,all I shoot is cast and paper patched but it does that very well . When you call Jess and then he calls you back just tell him what you plan to shoot and he will lead you in the right direction.

Boolit Master
    I just received my new 94AE from GunBroker yesterday and did an accuracy comparison to the 94AE I already had & low & behold they shoot the same ammo at the same sight setting at the same POI with very similar accuracy. which leaves me with the decision of which one to send. Coin Toss says my wife. Thanks for all of the patience of all of you while clearing up a moment of confusion, And all of the responses about the topic at hand. Your input & hands on experiences are a well full of knowledge. --- -06

Boolit Master

had a '94 AE done few years back, in 38/55 got the 3 groove. It shoots straighter than I do. All I shoot is the Lee 250 boolit
    Last edited by T-Bird; 07-12-2022 at 06:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hoping to try some AA-2015 powder & Lee 379-250 P-coated Boolits anybody use AA-2015? For a hunting load?

Boolit Master
    I use 2015 in the .30-30, but it'll work in the .38-55 with a boolit of that weight. Another one which works well is AA 1680 or Win 680. Win 680 is a touch faster so I don't don't use the same loading for both.

Boolit Master
    I finally found some info using AA-2015 to make a hunting load & some IMR SR-4759 info for some mid range loads. Naturally the load will have to be worked up to the rifle's liking, but a good place to start. This is the post that got me started with the 38-55. --"38-55 green dot load on doe"-- Good Story. P.S will be trying some Green Dot loads also.

Boolit Master
    Well I talked to Jessie again about the rebore & my options were 3,4, or 5 grooves. Decided on 5 & groove depth is gonna be .005. Has anybody come up with any AA-2015, & 250 grain boolit ideas? From what I see as far as burn rate it should do well. Input appreciated

Boolit Master
    Me again, I've got several powders . How about your favorite 38-55 load?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a JES rebored Marlin 336 done early last year, 3 groove very accurate with the Lee 255g rf. It likes them sized to .377 I pc all my boolits. Favorite load, 18g of a2400 yields 1500 fps, 10g Unique gives 1200fps with said boolit. Doesn't kick hard at all my grandson will use it for deer this fall.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Master
    I hope he gets a Big'un. & thanks for the load input.

Boolit Master
    Well I finally got the rifle sent to Jesse Aug. 19th should be hearing from him soon on return shipment. During this wait I got an itchy trigger finger & purchased a mint condition Win. 375 XTR & also got lucky with 38-55 & 375 Win brass from starline. It was marked on back order but the 38-55 shipped almost immediately & 375 brass about ten days after order was put in. Only mold I have is the LEE 379-250-RF & a round ball mold. That should get me started. Anybody shoot NOE's 235 gr RD mold?

Boolit Grand Master

JES does three and five groove barrels. The last rifle I had him rebore for me I had asked and paid for 5 groove and got 3! No explanation or apology! The rifle does shoot accurately though.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

We generally size to .377 for our JES bored rifles. They all shoot far better than than any factory caliber .38 rifle we have owned.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I was going to buy a 38-55 & read how good the rebores shot & decided to go that way. I bought a really nice 94ae to ship & wound up costing more than a new one after rebore. But I don't like a gun with so-so accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Has anybody heard anything that might be wrong with Jesse & JES Reboring? He's had my rifle since the 23rd of Aug. Left 3 polite messages & no return calls. I understand his turn around time to be somewhat better than over a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast