Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: lubricating jackets

Boolit Master

lubricating jackets

Would like advice on lube on jackets with cores seated? I can find plenty of info on lube to carbide dies but I think the tiny amount I see used would stick a bullet in my steel point form die. Have not stuck a bullet yet but have a few lube dents at the nose.

Boolit Master

I use Bag Balm for seating jackets in cores and for nose pointing. Otherwise I use Corbins lube for swaging.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

steel needs lube too. doesnt take much, to much and you get deformed areas, not enough and you get stuck in die.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I use 50-50 anhydrous lanolin & castor oil. A little on finger & thumb & rub so just a thin coating on skin. that's enough for 5-10 jackets.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I use 50-50 anhydrous lanolin & castor oil. A little on finger & thumb & rub so just a thin coating on skin. that's enough for 5-10 jackets.

Bob
    +1 on this. eight ounces of each will probably make more than you will ever need. I have been using the same prescription bottle full for years.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    An old benchrest bullet maker told me about his procedure years ago. He had a ratio of amount of lube per jacket and measured out the lube necessary for the jackets he was swaging. He put the lube on a piece of tinfoil and put the jackets and tinfoil with the lube into a rotary tumbler and ran it for x minutes. The jackets come out perfectly lubed and very consistent. I did it a few times and it worked well, but I usually just use my fingers.

Boolit Buddy
    I lube the jacket, core seat and then PF with the same lube. I too do the 50/50 lanolin / castor oil mix. 1 grain of lube smeared on the inside of a peanut butter jar and 1000 22lr jackets. Tumble for 1 hr.
    I use steel dies.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

Hornady Unique Case Lube has always worked for me. A very small amount rubbed on that you cannot see,but just feel. One tub last for years and thousands of bullets.

A nice thing about the 50/50 lanolin/castor oil mix is you can also use it when you resize your brass. I think it works a lot better than the commercial lubes.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.