Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
PBcastcoRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubrisizer problem, help please

Boolit Master
    Make sure the lube groove lines up with the active holes in the die at the bottom of the stroke.

Use only enough pressure and heat to fill the groove.

Allow zero transition time at the bottom of the stroke. Keep pressure on the top of the bullet until you reverse.

Lube on the bullet base is common in that style of lube/sizers. I switched to a Star and a different set of issues but I like the Star Better.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I have only just gotten started with my lubrisizing journey, but I've experienced similar issues. I'd agree that the issue stems from over-pressurizing the lubricant. This can occur more often if your lube is extra hot and goopy. Adjust the lube depth as well. Often, by just fiddling with certain things you eventually get the adjustments correct!

Boolit Mold
    Did you get the issue figured out? One thing I didn't see mentioned was the size of the boolit relative to the die. I've had the same issue and noticed that the bottom of the boolit diameter was less than the die. My Lyman 45 works great when the entire boolit is being sized.

Boolit Buddy
    1. Undersized Bullets relative to sizer diameter manifests in lube oozing up the sides of the boolit.
    2. Bullet pushed too deep in sizer body manifests in lube oozing up the side of the boolit.
    3.Too much pressure on the lube manifests in lube oozing up the side of the boolit.
    4.Lube temp too high manifests in lube oozing up the side of the boolit.

Once you get too much pressure on the lube, backing off the plunger does not effectively relieve it in my LAM. Push a bullet down in the sizer. The lube will stop flowing out when the pressure dissipates. Clean it up and push a bullet down in it without pressure. Extract the bullet. It should come out sized but unlubed. Now run the bullet back in the sizer and minimally tighten the plunger screw while holding down pressure on the bullet. Raise the bullet back up. You should get a partially lubed bullet. Run it back down and repeat until you have applied barely enough pressure to lube the bullet. No more. Make sure the lube is warm before you start. Cold lube requires more pressure which is stored. As your lube heats it flows more readily. If you have pressure on the lube before it comes up to temp. it will sploog out when it warms up. Lower the temperature and see if it settles down.
    Willie
    Last edited by Willie T; 01-03-2023 at 12:48 PM.

Boolit Mold
    When this happened to me there would be a build up of lube on the top of the bullet ejector rod. Some was stuck to the bottom of the bullet some was left on the rod. I would have a heck of a time getting it to stop squirting under the next bullet. I found out if I cleaned the top of the rod(scrape the lube off with a little Screwdriver and wipe clean) so the next bullet set flush on the ejector rod it would stop going under the bullet. I watch the top of the ejector rod to make sure it is clean so the bullet seats flush and I do not have the problem any more.

Undersize bottom punch can do that. Boil everything clean and see if it is a good snug fit in the die. Use micrometer on the punch. Easy to get punches & dies mismatched. Ask me how I know.

I make my own dies. I use a cut-off gage pin that's no more than .0001" under the hole diameter for the punch. Say I'm making a .312 die; I'll ream .3120, polish lightly with fine crocus cloth, and select a .3120 "minus" Grade Z pin.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I had this problem and the fix was easy. Look back to post #15. If your die has top and bottom holes, this will work. Clean the lube out of the bottom holes. Measure the hole diameter. On my die the hole was I/8" if I remember correctly. Get a neoprene O ring, 1/8" thick, and cut pieces to plug the bottom holes of the die. Your done. This will prevent lube from oozing under the base. I cut the pieces as thick as the die wall.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

I have also put a #9 [i think] shot in ports to only have one ring of holes open for the lube to go through.

You're running your lube too hot or under too much pressure. Relieve all pressure and start with room temp lube, set your bullet in the die, slowly apply pressure, then raise the bullet and check lube grooves; repeat until lube groves are filled. YMMV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12