WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Paper Patch Mold?

Paper Patch Mold?

Did I just buy myself a paper patch mold? If so, guess I'll be here learning from you folks! If any of you know anything about the mold, let me know!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nra spec3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	301973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nra spec2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	301974Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NRA special1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	301975
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Looks like a conventional design with gas check shank.

Boolit Master

What is the diameter? Assuming it's for 30 cal ( .308 ) it should be smaller, like .304 0r .301. It is not standard practice to have a gas check on a paper patch mold, but if you plan to go fast, why not. Cast a few and let us know.

Boolit Master
    Yep that’s looks like one of the originals.
    Lyman cut them slightly different than what they wanted.
    You have done well.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like the Lyman 301620 200 gr. for paper patching.

That mould should cast a .301" bullet to be paper patched for 0.308" groove diameter.

They used to make two moulds to NRA specs for paper patching... 301618 and 301620. Both had gas check shanks for some reason, possibly an old .309" or .310" cherry foreground? Regardless gas checks aren't required when paper patching.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook has the history of Harrison's load development and load data for .30-06, .300 Win and I think .308 Win.

Yes, you have done well!

Longbow

Neat! You got a rare one there. Just need a good 300 H&H model 70 bull gun to shoot them out of!

A Krag with a good barrel should suffice. I found an original that's .299x.308. I'm not going to make Camp Perry this year, this may be a part of future plotting. I've got a lot of slow burning powders that work good with conventional heavy bullets in the Krag.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Seek out the more recent, 10 years or less , threads for the NOE version of the 301618 with or without check step available in.301 or .303 dia and 172 or 212 gr versions .

They were worked up for the NRA for 1000 yd competition with 300 WMs as I understood it .

The GC step was to facilitate tailless wrapping . It allowed more variables to be removed like paper weight variation and base damage from paper impressions from a twisted or folded tail .

I had moderate successes with IMR 4350 in 308 but didn't chase it past "yep that'll work" . The 06's I had at the time were un cooperative at best 1 had a 1-8.5" twist , another was just plain too tight for anything cast . The last one ......we didn't get along at all , and I tried everything. I have a few loaded for a 4th rifle I just haven't gotten to it yet .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    A Krag with a good barrel should suffice. I found an original that's .299x.308. I'm not going to make Camp Perry this year, this may be a part of future plotting. I've got a lot of slow burning powders that work good with conventional heavy bullets in the Krag.
    It will indeed!

Received the mold today. It is new and unused! Beautiful old bluing! My caliper says the bands and bore rider are .3045". I realize they won't cast that large, however. I hope the 329 on each mold half is the top punch number, I have one those!

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Received the mold today. It is new and unused! Beautiful old bluing! My caliper says the bands and bore rider are .3045". I realize they won't cast that large, however. I hope the 329 on each mold half is the top punch number, I have one those!
    No top punch needed. They don't get lubed.

Oops! The mold is too pretty to use Nobade! I have an Eagan die that'll swage the gascheck shank to a taper, like the Belding and Mull 311169 had. Sort of a boat tail! I've been comparing it to a NOE spitzer I have seated out to the rifling of my Krag. That spitzer is over magazine length once out there. Looks to me like this paper patch bullet will be a perfect fit at a length that'll work through the magazine.

-Thomas Jefferson