Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Multi-Cavity Iron HP Mold

Boolit Master

Multi-Cavity Iron HP Mold

I’ve never seen a multi-cavity hollow point mold made of iron. Is cost the only reason? I’m looking at Accurate Mold 45-210A to solve a particular quirk in my 3” 1911, and I’ll convert it to HP if all goes as planned. I’d like to get the iron version.

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    I’ve never seen a multi-cavity hollow point mold made of iron. Is cost the only reason? I’m looking at Accurate Mold 45-210A to solve a particular quirk in my 3” 1911, and I’ll convert it to HP if all goes as planned. I’d like to get the iron version.
    You may want to review Erik's page at hollowpointmold.com. He does them all the time and his work is excellent. Here's the link: https://www.hollowpointmold.com/

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

Here is one to look at.
    4 cav Iron mold with all cavities having Cramer style Hollow points.
    https://www.hollowpointmold.com/cram...s/?picture=2#2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Is cost the only reason why Lyman, NOE, MP, etc don’t produce 4-cavity iron HP mold?

Is cost the only reason why Lyman, NOE, MP, etc don’t produce 4-cavity iron HP mold?
    Probably not the cost, but rather the R&D and time. They're selling everything they make, and taking on something new probably isn't in their budget. Machinists are becoming a rare commodity, just like any other skilled labor, so they have to make the best use of what they've got right now.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

I suspect there isn't the demand. I wouldn't want one, and I think that is common with most all boolit casters.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

If there is a large enough demand for them, the major players will supply it.

I probably wouldn't buy one. I can drop six boolits from a two cavity mold in the time it takes to make one HP.
    For mass production to punch holes in paper-- I wouldn't fool with making HPs with any number of cavity mold.
    To practice up and hunt with, I'd make 1-2 hundred from a single cavity, but that's about it. And it'd last a few years.

Every body does things different, but even if the price of them wasn't a concern,
    I think my case is fairly typical of the current market for multi cavity HP molds.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Have you considered working with 4-6 moulds at once with a much larger weight bullet included, with a big flat meplat, does the same thing as a light HP, just a lot more violently. My social 45 ACP carries 8+1 of 252 grain revolver SWCs, a big flat nose. Had to work with it to get it to be reliable in function, but it can be done.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    MP Molds brass hollowpoint molds cast bullets just as fast as solid bullet molds.

I have asked Miha about Iron HP Molds. Except for casting machine molds so far all he is willing to do is Brass.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

First the reason for iron? I've got both aluminum and iron 4 cavity molds. Much prefer the aluminum, way easier on the wrist.

I only have 2 HP molds. Lyman single cavity 457122 and a NOE 458 dia. of about 490 grains with the captive pins. The NOE mold works pretty good. Not sure I'd want to go back to an iron mold for 4 cavities.

The Lyman single cavity is sloooow to cast with. To the point that I picked up an Accurate mold that's a clone of the 457122 with no HP (but a gas check) for paper punching because the HP slowed things down so much.

Boolit Grand Master

I've cast with steel HP molds, and they work fine. In general I don't like steel molds, and it seems most people don't either. I prefer them to brass though. Besides cost, aluminum is far lighter, and I find it easier to cast with. Steel holds heat though, which some people like, plus it is very durable. Erik at hollowpoint molds will convert any type, and I don't believe he charges extra for steel. I could be wrong. Tom with Accurate molds charges quite a bit more for steel molds simply because they are so much harsher on tooling.