Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22 Mag in a pistol not all you might think

Boolit Master

But today we have loading for both LR & Mag designed for short pistol barrels. The LR does it better then the Mag with the shortest. But after about 3.5" the mag out paces the LR.

With standard LR offerings 16" is optimal and longer can actually be lower velocities. Hyper velocity offerings can see marked gains in velocity. Magnums dont see super velocity gains. They read/advertise 2200fps+ but usually dont hit those highs. My 24 Savage only bears my 22" barrels slightly.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

My first experience with the 22 magnum was with a Savage 24. 22 mag on top barrel 20ga bottom barrel. This was back in the 70's. The 22 mag had a dismal reputation. My first attempts with the Savage made me think they were all right on. Was telling my gunsmith Uncle that I was thinking about selling it. He instructed me to do an Arkansas stone the sear to reduce the trigger pull that was off the charts hard. carefully stoned and got it down to @ 5 lb. Also felt a lot smoother. The groups shrank to the point it became my favorite squirrel gun. I became a huge fan of the cartridge.

Ran across a full stock Anschultz carbine. No trigger job needed there. It was flat out deadly with a Leupold 2X7. It made shots while hunting that I would never have attempted with any 22 lr. Many claim to have rifles that are " tack drivers ". I would challenge some of the claimants by inserting an actual tack in my range's backboard. Deal was alternate shots 10$ to first shooter to destroy the tack. This was off a bench and I would shoot versus any caliber. Since most of the guys " knew " the 22 magnum was so inaccurate. Most of them accepted the bet. I did not win all but I made enough to pay for that Anshultz twice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12