Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What magnum powder besides 2400 for 4” - 5” barreled 357’s?

What magnum powder besides 2400 for 4” - 5” barreled 357’s?

Some questions I hope you can help me with:

What other powders do you recommend besides 2400 (only magnum powder I’ve ever used in handguns over last 45 years) for use in shorter 357 Magnum revolvers as the Ruger BH 4 5/8”?

I would think that H110/WW296 would be more appropriate with longer barrels 6 inches and up for better and complete powder burn? Does anyone have experience with H110/WW296 powder n shorter barreled 357 Magnums say 4 to 5 inches?

Are there any other magnum powders you would recommend to duplicate a 1,250 fps load in this shorter barrel length besides 2400?

I'm a big Blue Dot fan for a 6" and also Marlins.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Absolutely for H110/296. A lot of folks get caught up about barrel lengths vs burn rate. You'll still get better velocities with H110/296 vs 2400 in a 4" barrel, you'll just also have more muzzle blast.

I'm still working my way through my 8 lb jug of 296 with my .357 mag loads with a 4"model 28, 16.5 grains at a time with my RCBS 38-150-k bullets.

While I love 2400 for this role, 296 works every bit as well, and even has a nice peppery smell to it.

I didn't really like Blue Dot for loads like this. It doesn't meter nearly as well, and it burns dirty enough that my forearms had as much powder residue as the revolver barrel.

You might also look at Accurate #9, and also the Shooters World equivalent.

Depends on what your goals are. Plinking, full house barn burners, or both, as the mood of the day dictates.
    I vote for TightGroup, H4227, 296, or Longshot. I've loaded with all of these and they do well. Plug your load into the Hodgdon data site and see what happens. All except 296, are very versatile powders across the bench. Act fast, because right now, all except H4227 are in stock at Hodgdon.
    Deplorable infidel

I have not loaded .357 but when I couldn't get 2400 a while back, I switched to 110 and 296 for .44 mag. I now use Titegroup for full mag loads. The plus side is I am using 9 grns. of powder as opposed to 22 grns. of 296/110. So I get twice as many rounds per pound of powder. The down side is Titegroup burns very hot.

Here is load data from Hodgdon's web site for a 124 grs. cast lead flat point:

BULLET WEIGHT
    125 GR. CAST LRNFP
    CASE WINCHESTER
    PRIMER WINCHESTER SPM

Manufacturer Hodgdon
    Powder Titegroup
    Bullet Diam. 0.358"
    C.O.L 1.580"
    Starting Load Grs. 4.0 Grs.
    Vel. (ft/s) 1,055
    Pressure 13,800 CUP
    Maximum Loads 5.4 Grs.
    Vel. (ft/s) 1,274
    Pressure 22,800 CUP

Hope this helps.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

#9 fan here. Able to equal velocities of H110 but with less muzzle blast and slightly less powder used. Blue Dot is darn good too.

Boolit Master
    Alliant Unique, BE-86, or Herco, if you can find them. AA#5 also works well, and may be a shade more available.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    Absolutely for H110/296. ....
    this

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'm a big Blue Dot fan for a 6" and also Marlins.
    Me too. Also works fine giving magnum level velocities under 158 gr cast in my 2 1/2" M19 S&W. Blue Dot load data in CBH #3.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Enforcer, HS6, CFE Pistol. Depends what you're shooting, didn't mention weight of bullet.

Boolit Master

Blue Dot! It will do anything 2400 will do in a .357 Magnum and will save you 2-3 grains per charge.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

.357Ma powder

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    Some questions I hope you can help me with:

What other powders do you recommend besides 2400 (only magnum powder I’ve ever used in handguns over last 45 years) for use in shorter 357 Magnum revolvers as the Ruger BH 4 5/8”?

I would think that H110/WW296 would be more appropriate with longer barrels 6 inches and up for better and complete powder burn? Does anyone have experience with H110/WW296 powder n shorter barreled 357 Magnums say 4 to 5 inches?

Are there any other magnum powders you would recommend to duplicate a 1,250 fps load in this shorter barrel length besides 2400?

Hispeed -

Howdy !

I've been shooting WW296 pretty much exclusively in S & W "N"-frames of 4", 5", and 6".

I have been shooting 158SWC's predominently, and they don't necessarily have to be GC'd.

The charge I have settled on is 14.5gr WW296 and SP Mag primer, under Lyman .357" cal SWC's of 158-172gr.
    This was the lightest charge that Winchester ( Olin ) used to list in their free handout reloading pamplets.

This is a bona fide' magnum load, which shoots great from my current custom 4" heavy-barrelled M-520.
    It also shot superbly from my M1894SC .357Mag, bullets sailing completely through a steel plate @ 4' from the muzzle; when I did an inpromptu run through a pistol course..... and all I had with me happened to be the carbine.

Also was going to use the load shot from my custom M-520 for local " practical " handgun matches at a local club in NE Indiana. I had to first shoot " sponsored " in 3 preliminary matches, before being " accepted into the club officially.
    They used a pendulum-style " power meter " to determine who qualified as " major calibre ", and who was ( in their minds ) shooting " minor calibre ". Thing was....they adjudged me minor calibre for the first 3 get-to-know-you matches,
    and shooters could not ask for the power meter to be brought out to validate loads until they were accepted members.

I put in my first 3 preliminary shoots, and was accepted. Upon the very 1st shoot after becoming a " member ", I called for the power meter to be brought out, and when you did that.......all shooters had to do a sample shot on the meter to be assigned major / minor power category; before the official match began. At the time, the club had been populated by shooters using customized 1911 .45ACP's, and they were ardent followers of one Clint Smith. I was the sole exception.

Come to find out, a few shooters had been automatically granted " major calibre " status, as they were shooting .45ACP.
    The power meter showed some of their loads as " minor cal " in power, but they hemmed and hawed around; and did not
    assign the lower power rating to those ( effectively ) cheaters.

My turn came, and upon my 158SWC hitting the the plate.... the welds broke, and the plate fell off the end of the pendulum ! Poor welds sure, but was humorous ( to me ) to see happen ! The rig had a protractor afixed to a moving needle, which held the highest degree of arc reading the the load produced. My loads degree of arc movement was nearly twice that of the lowest .45ACP loads, and still higher than the reading their legal " ball " loads produced.
    They grudgingly assigned me " major calibre ", but they still did continue to use drills that required things like mandatory reloads and such.... which biased success more towards the use of their chosen gun.
    I gave them a couple more tries as a member, then excused myself from their most gracious company.

My point: 14.5gr WW296 Mag primer and a 158SWC is a no-kiddin' " Magnum" load.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Grand Master

You cannot go wrong with 296/110 in a 357 Mag!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Depends on what your goals are. Plinking, full house barn burners, or both, as the mood of the day dictates.
    I vote for TightGroup, H4227, 296, or Longshot. I've loaded with all of these and they do well. Plug your load into the Hodgdon data site and see what happens. All except 296, are very versatile powders across the bench. Act fast, because right now, all except H4227 are in stock at Hodgdon.
    Titegroup is my main go to pistol powder.

4227 is fine..but not economical. The blue powders are good too.

Boolit Buddy
    AA#7 works well too especially in the short barrels...

Thank you all! You make this old man happy!

Boolit Master
    My preferences in order: Blue Dot, WW296, 4227.

One thing I like about Blue Dot is the muzzle flash is less conspicuous than the other two and it's a dark orange rather than a bright yellow white. No big deal unless you are trying to shoot something at night and want to have some vision left after the first shot.

Boolit Grand Master
    A very useful, albeit expensive and hard to come by powder is Vihtavouri N-110. In the .357 Magnum, it uses charges virtually identical to 2400 to obtain similar velocities. Except at the very top end with heavy for caliber boolits, you can safely substitute one for the other. 14.5 grains of either under a 158 grain SWC gives a good load.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

My mag carry load with a 4” 66 is H-110 under a 162g RCBS, also works real well in my 6” 5T M-19. I have shot many pounds of #9 as well. It works well in my 94-C Marlin as well, with the RCBS 200g.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    H110 and W296 (same thing) are the only magnum powders you ever need. I played with 2400 because it uses standard primers and has plenty of power, but really, if I could only pick one magnum powder, it'd be H110/W296. There is no need for anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast