Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lyman NRA Special Mold

Lyman NRA Special Mold

Anyone know anything about this 30 caliber mold? I've never seen it on the mold charts. I think I remember reading a little blurb in an old American Rifleman many years ago, but don't remember for sure. I have Eagan bullets that have bands like this, but the conical flatnoses don't feed through my Krags. Long bullet, has to go over 200gr! I'll certainly be trying it in my Krag!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NRA special1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	301950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nra spec2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	301951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nra spec3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	301952
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

does it mike at .308 to .311 or does it mike ~ .301 (Paper Patch)?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Well I thought I saw .308, but I now see that was another auction. I'll have to wait till it gets here to answer your question. The little blurb that is in my mind might also have been in one of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbooks. Hopefully it's a bit more than .308, though that would do for one of my Krags, the one I usually take to Camp Perry. I wouldn't mind paper patching. What you suppose would be best, Bugler, EZ Wider, or the hemp paper a friend imported from China back in the 90s? Now that you've mentioned it, it appears the bands are about the same diameter as the bore riding portion of the nose!
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 07-10-2022 at 01:57 PM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

If it should be a ~ .301 for paper patching and you do not want it - PM me and maybe we could cut a deal.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

It is for PPing. There is a very good article on its use in the NRA Cast Bullet Supplement.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

That looks like the Lyman 301620 which is a 200 gr. bullet that should cast atr 0.301" for paper patching to standard .30 cal. at 0.308"/0.309". The 301618 is the same design but 160 gr. Here are links to posts on both boolits:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...301620PP-Mould
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...18-NOE-boolits

The Lyman Castr bullet Handbook has the story as well and Harrison's info on it for use in 300 Win. There is load data for .30-06, .308 and 300 Win IIRC.

Longbow

Thanks fellows. I should be paying a bit more attention to details. It'll work out. I got some slow burning powders that work good in the Krag with heavy bullets!
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 07-10-2022 at 10:26 PM.

-Thomas Jefferson

Actually that's a very rare mould, and the .301 diameter was made for a rifle. I have a friend who has the rifle, but I don't remember what it was.
    I actually had got a custom Accurate mould made based on a boolit pulled from a cartridge. Custom sizing die also ala Lathesmith @.303 Dia. and .30 cal. Gator Gas Checks.
    I'm sure it is not a PP.

Jeff
    Last edited by masscaster; 07-12-2022 at 01:30 PM.