Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Think I messed up today

Think I messed up today

Went to a gun show today and I looked long and hard at an 8 cavity H&G 357.197, 148gr double ended wad cutter.
    Had the H&G nut cracker handles. Need the wood replaced.

Didn't buy it as I really don't shoot much 38's any more.

Ideas as to what is the going price?
    Big Bore = 45+

Moderator Emeritus

Your "messing up" -- or not is quite subjective! The 148gn DEWC moulds I have are their Number 50 and their Number 527. A comprehensive list of H&G Mould numbers may be viewed at https://www.hensleygibbs.com/casting...uld%20List.htm

That said, to say the prices are "all over the place" may be an understatement. Most 8-cav #50s I've seen are generally priced between two and three hundred U S dollars. At a major show last fall there were two, each priced at $249.00, and when I walked by as I was leaving show I noted BOTH were gone. (I did not ask the actual sale price to buyer(s)).

The 8- and 10- cavity moulds were the cat's meow for police departments maybe 75 years back, as revolvers in .38 were the carry, and often bullets were cast in house for practice, training, and even qualification. I have a 10-cavity 50BB which was owned by a police department for this purpose.

For many, these gorgeous moulds are perhaps more nostalgia and collector items than casting tools. On the one-hand, a huge pile of bullets may be turned out fairly quickly, with -- typical of H&G moulds -- very few, if any, culls. On the other hand -- even an 8-cavity mould seems to get quite heavy after not too long a casting session. And, as you stated, the popularity of the .38 S&W Special seems to have waned.

I have a very soft spot in my heart for H&G moulds -- an H&G50 was my very first mould -- I still have it.

BEST!
    geo

I think I will go back tomorrow morning. I am still tempted to buy it.
    I will sleep on it.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You regret more what you didn’t do than what you did do.

Boolit Master
    Yea I saw that one also I don't remember the exact price but I remember it wasn't to bad The same guy had a couple of molds I kinda thought about a Saeco and lyman .40 cal 400gr but I passed cause Iv'e got an NOE 412-400 which is working fantastic.

Boolit Master

Let go of "gut" regret. Don't carry that around. If the head did not "agree with the gut" at the time, there is a reason. Let it go.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=MGySgt;5427950]

/QUOTE]

So why do you think you should purchase this now?
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

[QUOTE=remy3424;5428123]
    Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post

/QUOTE]

So why do you think you should purchase this now?
    Well I could cast 35 to 40 lbs of 38 WC's and then sell it. At 71 years old they would last the rest of my life.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    Well I could cast 35 to 40 lbs of 38 WC's and then sell it. At 71 years old...
    With you here, age and thinking, and have been kicking component sales around for different calibers for some time. What stops me COLD is I got BURNED OUT over an insane year of sorting, cleaning, storing, advertising, negotiating, selling, paying bills, packaging, and shipping components from an estate I purchased and STILL have a "ton of stuff" left to sell.

What I know now but didn't know then could fill a library. One man, President, CEO, COO, CFO, Chairman of the Board, and Clerk of the Works from Board Room to Mail Room, with no Executive Washroom privilege or key. I often wonder if I had had a store front to go to every day, would that have been any different? I might have liked a seemingly easier way of life through a store front. Not now though...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    For many, these gorgeous moulds are perhaps more nostalgia and collector items than casting tools. On the one-hand, a huge pile of bullets may be turned out fairly quickly, with -- typical of H&G moulds -- very few, if any, culls. On the other hand -- even an 8-cavity mould seems to get quite heavy after not too long a casting session. And, as you stated, the popularity of the .38 S&W Special seems to have waned. geo
    Geo: what planet are you casting on?
    I use my H&G's 4-6-8-10 cavity moulds exclusively. I shoot full auto with cast bullets and my S50 10 cavity feeds a MAC 380. At 1300+ rounds per minute it eats a LOT of lead!
    But seriously, I disagree. I would hope that anyone that takes the time to assemble their H&G moulds (it has taken me 40 years) is USING them. I think i only have one mould that is not an H&G. i know a few H&G collectors but they are using them too.
    As for the 38? It is singly the most popular reloaded round ever.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    You regret more what you didn’t do than what you did do.

Amen To That Brother !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I sometimes buy inexpensive molds I don't need, either because I may need them in the future, or I can use them as trade value.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I sometimes buy inexpensive molds I don't need, either because I may need them in the future, or I can use them as trade value.
    Yep, same thing with die sets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I hope to be doing more selling than buying, if I make it to my 70s. I am just shy of 60 and already realize I need start paring things down.
    If I haven't owned it by then, guessing I would not need it.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.