Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Die locking rings ???

Die locking rings ???

I know this has been discussed before but what are the best( I know it’s subjective) die lock rings and why ? I still debate this with myself. Thanks !

I like the ones with some form or fashion of a set screw.

I'm sure the 'O' ring ones are fine, I just don't like them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I've replaced most of mine with the hornady type split ring style that clamps the die v/s the setscrew style. If you only use them on one press you can lock them in place and not have to adjust them each time they get put back on that press.

Boolit Master

I prefer the set screw rings with a lead shotgun pellet to protect the threads on the die. I traded all lmy split rings for the set screw type and am perfectly happy. james

Yea I just gave some one a set of 7mm dies that had ding spots on the threads, The cure is lead shot under the screw.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Man
    Both style of rings are good and both will work just fine. The down side to the set screw rings is if someone tightens them down too much they can be a real bitch if you need to readjust them to another press. The split rings are easy to loosen up and readjust. The down side to the split rings is they are a little harder to do the final adjustment to as they can pull on the threads just a little and all but lock your die into the press, you need to back the die off a bit and then lock it down.
    Sam

Split rings.

Boolit Master
    Guess it’s a depends, my Lee size/decappers still have the o ring style and I manually set them up each timefor a little bit of cam over. I have a few with the RCBS knurled clamp and setscrew types that generally live on my older less used dies. For the high use dies from all manufacturers pretty much all of them are sporting the RCBS hex setscrew type and associated black socket wrench for maximum repeatability. There are probably better newer choices these days, but this seems to work for me. The wrench hangs from a hook on the cabinet above the press with a flashlight and 4in crescent wrench for immediate use.

Here’s a pix, the set on the left is an older .38 Lee set with the RCBS rings and wrench. The set on the right is a Frankenstein set of dies put together to do my .38 LRN. When I get around to it I will get another handful of RCBS rings and this seat die will likely get one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F33F16D8-F556-471A-A9FF-FAE5CC64AC61.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	301949
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 07-09-2022 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added pix

Metric, you sound like what I am doing. Was looking at the split Lee rings with both the O-ring and a locking screw.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the RCBS rings. RBCS also makes a wrench that fits over the top of the die to snug them down.

I love the split type, and if anyone wants to trade me for a bunch of the set-screw type, get in touch via PM. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master

Split rings for me

Boolit Master
    Only want small hex locking rings. Nothing else will work on my Spar T press
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

+1 on the Hornady. I like the fact that they squeeze the nut around the threads as opposed to jamming something into the threads. My least favorite (and this is strange coming from me because I'm a fanboy) is the RCBS. The Lee work OK, but with the "O" ring I check the depth each time I use them.

Everything used on a single stage press.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    The Lee rings work fine if you also get the plastic tool for tightening /loosening them from Titan. Yes, from time to time they may need minor adjustments, but it’s so simple to do and requires no tools to do it that it’s not even an issue IME. But since all my pistol loading is done on a Lee Turret it’s once and done with turrets for each caliber. Rifles on my single stage presses then they are all set up with lock rings, preferably the split type, although the set screw varieties work good with some lead shot between the screw and threads.

Moderator Emeritus

I prefer the ford...but the chevy is probably better built.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    I've replaced most of mine with the hornady type split ring style that clamps the die v/s the setscrew style. If you only use them on one press you can lock them in place and not have to adjust them each time they get put back on that press.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    +1 on the Hornady. I like the fact that they squeeze the nut around the threads as opposed to jamming something into the threads. My least favorite (and this is strange coming from me because I'm a fanboy) is the RCBS. The Lee work OK, but with the "O" ring I check the depth each time I use them.

Everything used on a single stage press.
    ++1 on what these smart fella's said. I ordered a pack of Hornady rings & a wrench & set-up all my most used dies. They are a little more difficult to set-up initially, but after that, you're one-n-done. I always use the wrench to lightly torque the die to the press & my setting have always stayed consistent.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master

I like the set screw and split ring much better than the o-ring type
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

If you have a press that has a removable bushing and will accept 1-1/4x12 dies then you have another option. You can use Hornady or Lee bushings. The initial cost kind of stings but the convenience is fantastic. Every die that I use on my Rock Chucker has a Hornady bushing. The dies are always adjusted perfectly and the time to change from one to another is about 2 seconds.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Lordy, Lordy. Can-O-Worms.

Hex head with set screw for me, though when "dialed in" the set screw is NOT used and is a PITA to wrench down on a limited space 5-station tool head.

Six (6) different types in my toolbox, so far...:
    1.) aluminum knurled ring w/set screw (half dozen growing moss here)
    2.) steel hex head w/set screw (prefered)
    3.) aluminum knurled split ring w/flats and set screw (1-off unused)
    4.) aluminum knurled split ring w/set screw (2 unused)
    5.) steel knurled ring w/set screw (1-off unused)
    6.) steel hex head no set screw (1-off)

Last edited by Land Owner; 07-11-2022 at 07:25 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast