RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: My Faux Frankford Arsenal 1878 ammo boxes

Boolit Man

My Faux Frankford Arsenal 1878 ammo boxes

I wanted something to use as a prop in my photos. Since I can't afford $300-$400 for the real thing I used screen captures and made up my own. A friend that owns a few genuine boxes gave me the dimensions.
    The paper is faux parchment from Amazon. I printed the label using a color printer. The box is actually a block of wood that I carefully folded the paper around. I added a string to one for a more authentic look. when all was complete, I gave each "box" a coating of shellac.

I think they came out pretty good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3502.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	301905

Those look great.

Boolit Master

great job. james

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Way Cool!

I like 'em. They even have that aged look.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Very well done!!! My kudos to you and your printer. Might it be too bold for me to inquire the make and model of printer you employed? I recently purchased an HP Color Laser Jet MFP M182-M185; I wonder if it might work... I have a few oldie but goodie calibres making faux box backdrops may be a real visual addition to.
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Very well done!!! My kudos to you and your printer. Might it be too bold for me to inquire the make and model of printer you employed? I recently purchased an HP Color Laser Jet MFP M182-M185; I wonder if it might work... I have a few oldie but goodie calibres making faux box backdrops may be a real visual addition to.
    geo
    I have never done this, but I believe the final product might have more to do with the paper you use and not the printer. I nice parchment type off color paper for the aged look. Probably a card stock weight if you actually want to use them for cartridges.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    I have never done this, but I believe the final product might have more to do with the paper you use and not the printer. I nice parchment type off color paper for the aged look. Probably a card stock weight if you actually want to use them for cartridges.
    I have and use a card stock for many "projects", and -- on one -- I had the challenge of bleed-through where the coating dissolved (?) enough of the ink to really degrade the final product. I was using an ink-jet printer and sprayed with a Minn-Wax aerosol varnish. I switched to a Polyacrylic which worked re this, but the finish was not what I had sought. I had not thought of/tried shellac, and have seen it in an aerosol can which may be "the cat's meow"?
    Interestingly, I used a yellow felt-tip marker on a laser-jet printed page to highlight a few words and first noted the yellow felt tip itself had turned black, and then that the printed letters were smearing. Hence -- my inquiry.
    Thanks!
    geo

Wow...that looks like real ammo boxes.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk