Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersPBcastcoTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: 310 MR die number 132, 6 MM Lee Navy?

Boolit Master

310 MR die number 132, 6 MM Lee Navy?

In a recent lot of 310 dies I received I found a MR die that has the number 132 on it. Only chart I can find that shows that number says it was the 6 MM Lee Navy rifle of 1895! That was a very interesting US military arm that was ahead of it's time, using smokeless powder that varied in characteristics from lot to lot and didn't store well on-board ship. The rifle also had Medford form rifling that didn't stand up well to the smokeless powder and suffered rapid bore erosion. US Marines did carry and use the rifle in action in Cuba I believe but after only a couple of years, it was decided that all services should rely on the same .30 caliber. Needless to say, the rifles were always a rarity although Bannerman (of course) did sell a few to the public, Including some recovered from the sunk battleship USS Maine!
    If this really is in 6 MM Navy, this must be a very rare die, I doubt many straight-pull Lee rifles were in civilian ownership! Anyone have another answer for what a die code 132 could be? While rare it is certainly of little value I'd guess, other than an oddity.

Boolit Buddy
    Every chart from 1927 through 1951 shows 132 to be the number assigned to the 6mm U.S. Navy cartridge. Ideal Handbook No.12 (1899) is the earliest to list tools (the No.10 tool) available, and it was Lyman's No.37 (1950) which was the last to list tools (the No.310, by this time) for this cartridge.

Winchester marketed a sporting version of the Model 1895 straight-pull alongside the military version from 1895 to 1902. The rifle was never terribly popular, but ammunition was listed in Winchester catalogs until 1939, and Remington catalogs until 1937.

Boolit Master

Wow! Outstanding information Jim, thanks a bunch. I have a few of the Lyman older manuals but sadly, they are not in great shape. I've often desired to know what the earlier manuals showed for 310 dies. You seems to have a pretty complete set of them and even better, to know what is contained in them!