RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: OK, WHICH Black Airsoft BBs?

Boolit Man

OK, WHICH Black Airsoft BBs?

I’m using Smoke’s powder, and my containers are all “#5” (polypropylene) plastic. I specifically bought a pack of black BBs to help with my powder coating. The only black BBs I could find were “GameFace” brand “Maximum Precision” .25g BBs. I had a helluva time getting powder to stick to .452” bullets, and wound up re-recoating them. Which gave me too thick a coat, and made sizing really challenging.

So is there a “recommended,” “preferred”, “only these will work” list of which black Airsoft BBs to buy? I honestly don’t want to go through the whole process over and over just to find out I got “not great” BBs, and have to start all over again.

Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master

Most of us don't even use the BBs anymore.

Boolit Master

The ones Smoke sells...

I like using the BBs as it cushions the bullets (keeps them from bouncing off each other) when I "shake"

Boolit Master
    The black ones that aren't shiny. I had some from many moons ago so used them. Recently got some more from Smoke.

And, yes, many of us still do use them

Boolit Buddy
    I have used black pony beads with success. https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...ads/p/80921288

Boolit Master

Do they "wear" out"?
    I have been using the same ones for along time....

I no longer use bb’s and have no trouble with powder sticking. Perhaps your bullets are contaminated with something? Maybe your powder has absorbed some moisture? I use Smoke’s powder. I keep it stored in the house, and I keep it double bagged, and squeeze all the air out. I have previously had trouble with adhesion, and it was because of moisture in the powder.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I used the cheapest and gaudiest color BBs I could find on Amazon, and the stuff sticks to them very well. I still use, and probably will continue to use them, although I guess I should try it without them sometime.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Mold
    Crosman 6mm Plastic Airsoft BBS, 0.25g, 2000 RDS, Black

got them at Amazon

Boolit Man
    My bullets were absolutely clean, and my powder was never exposed to the elements - I opened and stored it indoors exclusively.

My #5 containers are nothing special, but the powder sure stuck to the insides of them without a problem. I wonder if I just tried to coat too many bullets at once. My containers are about pint-sized, and I was coating .452", 230 grain bullets...maybe I should have just done a few at a time instead of maybe 15 at once. It's something I'll have to try next time.

Anyway, the BBs I have are definitely shiny, and the package actually says they're polished too. Maybe the slick BBs didn't do much to help distribute the powder. On the other hand, I have definitely NOT polished white BBs, which I may try before I buy more. I have most of the 5k jar of the white ones, so I'm not really risking anything by trying.

I'm going to stick with the BB process until I get more experience under my belt. I'm open to new ways of doing things, but there are so many success stories with BBs, that I'd like to feel that I'm using a tried and true method before I start experimenting.

It seems like too much powder is a huge problem in coating

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by brassrat View Post
    It seems like too much powder is a huge problem in coating
    I specifically used a measuring spoon to put the recommended amount of BBs, powder, etc. But I do know that I didn’t pay attention to excess powder - I was more focused on obvious bare spots.

How old is your powder? Powder will pick up a little moisture sometimes. You can’t tell by looking at it.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Man
    My powder is (now) a couple of years old. It’s been stored indoors, in a sealed plastic container except when I actually used it. My home relative humidity is pretty constant at 50% +/-, so I don’t think that’s it.

I think I just didn’t “get it” when I tried coating these bullets, and instead of stopping and asking questions, I plowed ahead. I believe I’ve learned a Valuable Lesson about that…

Boolit Mold
    I am a new caster but have been reloading for about 30 years.
    So I just started powder coating as well. It is amazing to me how well PC works.
    I have only used these....
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVKB72Q...v_ov_lig_dp_it

but they have worked well and do the job.
    I only use Smoke's powders and get great coverage with these BB's.