Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You got confident's in those boolits you cast?

Boolit Master

You got confident's in those boolits you cast?

There are casters, home reloaders and big game hunters so it's known. "All in one."
    But, how many of you B/G hunters -and especially those home casters that actually rely on their rifle cast. So too drop the beast their allowed to harvest State wide only once a year? Curious I am: Your'e cast boolit? or some others bullet?

Boolit Master

I hunt with my cast bullets. Deer is the biggest game I hunt and as for as I can tell the deer can't tell the difference.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    I hunt with my cast bullets. Deer is the biggest game I hunt and as for as I can tell the deer can't tell the difference.
    Me too. .358 Winchester, 8 x 57 Mauser rifle, .45 Colt handgun, and .357 Max rifle so far. .45-70 Browning Hi-wall is next. Work fine for me, hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    I use my cast boolits in my muzzle loader, .45/70 and .44 Mag for deer. Smaller high velocity guns use a jacketed bullet, though I may try cast in my .416 this year.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    There are casters, home reloaders and big game hunters so it's known. "All in one."
    But, how many of you B/G hunters -and especially those home casters that actually rely on their rifle cast. So too drop the beast their allowed to harvest State wide only once a year? Curious I am: Your'e cast boolit? or some others bullet?
    I've read this over five times or more, and I have no idea what you are saying, or what you are asking. I'm not judging if English isn't your first language, but please fix some of these punctuation and spelling errors. The way your post is written means nothing.

My hand cast round balls dump deer in muzzleloader season.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

The last few years I hunted, I killed all my deer with cast in .30-06 and .45-70.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I generally shoot my own products - but I have also purchased sizes that I don’t own in a mold. For example, I don’t cast round balls anymore - too easy to buy. I bought 500 cast .411 slugs because my .41 mag doesn’t get much use so that many will last a long time.

Boolit Buddy
    Been shooting deer with cast bullets since 2013. No lost deer and satisfying results from 38 special to 50 cal muzzleloader. The key is testing to make sure your cast load penetrates like your jacketed ammo that your are used to. If you go to a cast bullet with the same energy but double the penetration, you will likely find smaller wounds than you are expecting and slightly longer blood trailing jobs. Likewise if you go to a cast bullet with the same energy but half the penetration of your jacketed ammo you will likely find longer blood trailing jobs because of lack of penetration to the important stuff. I shoot a lot of milk jugs with known performance jacketed rounds, then try to match my cast bullet hardness to get close to the same penetration as the stuff that has killed millions of deer.

I have killed about 15-16 with a 357 rifle that penetrates the same as proven woods deer rounds such as 150 gr 30-30 or a 180 30-06 which is 5 jugs.

I have killed 4 or 5 with a 45 Colt rifle 300 gr at 1600 fps that penetrates 5 jugs.

And I have killed 5 with a muzzleloader shooting 45 sabots that penetrate 4-5 jugs.

I have killed a few deer with loads that penetrate either 3 jugs or 8 jugs and results are worse than bullets that are dialed in to penetrate just like the GOAT deer rounds. Check your penetration at your deer shooting ranges and make sure you aren't under-penetrating or over-peneetrating and you will have a great time making meat. I like 5 jugs for our northern Ohio deer that go from 90 pound yearlings to 170 pound 4 year old does to 250 pound 4 year old bucks. If you are in Florida or Texas you might not need as much penetration. Also I drive deer and take whatever shots I can that lead to the vitals. If you are shooting small deer from a treestand over an automatic feeder and you can wait until they are perfectly broadside then you might not need as much penetration as me. Enough penetration for any angle is great, but too much penetration means a smaller wound than you could have had.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 07-08-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I am primarily a hunter and cast/hunt for many calibers (all but high velocity long range cartridges) that I use for handguns, muzzleloaders and a few centerfire rifles. I have taken all sorts of game on three continents and thoroughly enjoy making my own alloys for the different cartridges and harvesting game with them. . .quite rewarding to me. I have not had ANY issues with performance of my ammunition, therefore I have total confidence in harvesting game with boolits I've casted.

Boolit Grand Master
    For the one deer a year I harvest (maybe two), cast hunting bullets do not make sense for me. I use a .308 and do not want to turn it into a .30/30. I bought 500 premium hunting bullets for $150 years ago and they will last a lifetime. I can take a shot to 400 yards if need be.

I do not worry if lube affects my shot if it is 70* or -10* or first shot out of a cold barrel. Yes...I have hunted with that much temperature variation in Michigan.

I do not worry if the alloy is too soft for a 50 yard shot or too hard for a 400 yard shot.

KISS works for me.
    Don Verna

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Yep I cast and obviously hand load .

I set a goal to get every load legal in Nevada at 1000 ft lb at 100 yd in rifles .

Killed 1 mulie at about 105 yd with a 1 off paper patch 200 gr 06' that was walking a pretty fine line of legal it was a matter of everything being exactly right at the necropsy the very soft bullet left an almost identical wound tract to the Hornady #3033 of years past . I'd hunt that set up again here in Arkansas.

I've moved sideways I suppose , the 06' had a fast twist that I measured a dozen times at 1-8.5" it hit a wall at 1850 fps , I needed 1900 to make the 1000 ftlb but I figured the altitude at the shot made up for it .

I have a 30-30 now that will run the Ranch dog 312-165 FP 2200 fps MV with a sub jacketed start load .

I worked a load up for a 32 Rem with 32 WS data 2300 fps with a 175 is faster than the start jacketed speeds . I took it hog hunting but didn't get to try it out .

I don't have to be down at the low end I shoot a 358 Win that also makes jacketed speeds with a 35-250 and a 45-70 .

I won't need the 300 yd flat shooting loads any more so as long as I can make my personal base line I can't see any reason not to use them.

In 45 Colts with 250-265 gr SWC or RNFP I've killed 5 hogs 135-165# live weight . Killed them dead enough for me just over 1000fps . Except for that one that was juiced up and running already it went another 200 yd before it piled up in a pool of foamy blood .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I've read this over five times or more, and I have no idea what you are saying, or what you are asking. I'm not judging if English isn't your first language, but please fix some of these punctuation and spelling errors. The way your post is written means nothing.
    Yep. Glad I'm not the only one who got a headache trying to make that make sense. I knew this would be a good thread when I saw the possessive apostrophe in the title instead of ending in -"ce"....

I'm not a big game hunter, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use my boolits on anything deer sized and under. The critters which have encountered any of my RFs have not survived to remember the experience.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

I am after deer most of the time.

I have used and trust my own cast in .357, .44 and 45 caliber. Either SWC's or RNFN's, having a good meplat.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I don't hunt big game but I trust my life with my cast boolits. They are in my carry gun everyday. Pure lead powder coat hollow point boolits.

My cast bullets don't talk to me so they aren't confidants. When I hunt with them I know they will do the job so I do have confidence in them.

Banned
    since i started using cast boolits (10+/- years ago, i'm a neophyte) on deer, i'm impressed. my self-styled limit on yardage is 150 yards, but i can shoot them further. my son has killed a doe (DRT) at 173 yards (laser range finder thingy) with a 165gr ranch dog going 1926fps(from the barrel) in 30-40 krag. i killed a doe (DRT) at 140+/- yards with the krag too.

most of my shots on deer are 40-60 yards, with an occasional 20 - 30 yards shot. the deer will either go DRT or jog about 20-30 yards and then die. i do the same thing, except the deer runs 20 - 30 yards or DRT. i have used a 30-40 krag, 444 marlin, 45-70, 8x57, 7x57, 30 remington, 500 linebaugh(tc encore with 23" MGM barrel) and others that i shoot cast with on deer.

placement of the boolit/bullet is the key. if you are one those that has "buck fever" (i did), then cast boolits aren't for you. jacketed bullets have a hard time if "buck fever" is in, but the bullet will usually do its job. boolit/bullet placement is the key.

Boolit Grand Master

I hunt mostly hogs and feral goats with a smattering of deer along the way and have 110% confidence in my cast bullets. They have never failed me at all.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

45 Colt, Ruger Blackhawk, 7.5" bbl, 250 gr., Lyman #454-190 CV, Unique, 9.5 gr., 18 yds., through-and-through, stalking feral hogs, DRT

223, H&R single shot, Handi-rifle, bull bbl, 1:9 twist, 50.2 gr., Bator, GC, IMR 4227, 11.8 gr., 22 yds., FL turkeys from a ground blind, DRT

223, H&R single shot, Handi rifle, standard bbl, 1:12 twist, 55 gr., RCBS 22-55-SP, GC, IMR 4227, 12.5 gr., 15 yds., "X" btwn ears and eyes, sow and boar, feral hogs, both DRT...she walked up in daylight, behind the stand, he walked in front of the truck's headlights right after I loaded the sow

30-30 Marlin 336, 6X scope, 170 gr., Lyman #309170, GC, IMR 4227, 18.5 gr., up close (say 50 yds.), "X" btwn ears and eyes, DRT, or broadside, 150 yds. max., feral hogs, from a fixed platform stand with rock steady rest
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I'm a small caster, and have only be at it for around 10 yrs.
    To date I have used the 200 gr. RCBS rfn 35 Rem. in two separate Marlins,
    A Lyman 300 gr. wfn gc 44 in a Marlin 444
    A Lee 240 gr. swc 44 mag. in a 4 5/8 barreled Vaquero
    And a Lee 210 gr. swc in a 41 mag. 6" BH

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast