Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CVA Accura LR-X in 45

Boolit Master

New CVA Accura LR-X in 45

A while back I posed the question to the forum. Do I need a 45? And the answer was yes. Not one to upset the counsel of Cast Boolits I told my wife I had no choice but to buy another rifle, and so I did.

That rifle is an Accura LR-X. It comes with a 30" barrel and fancy cerekote finish. Now I've read some bad reviews in the past, but I love my Optima so much I decided to get it anyway hoping the production problems have worked themselves out. It looks like I was wrong.

Firstly this rifle is advertised as having a free floating barrel, however the handguard touches the barrel on one side and there's a huge gap on the other. I contacted customer service about this issue and they sent me a video about adjusting the tension, which did just that, but did nothing to fix the canted grip.

The other issue is the bore size. In an email from their service rep, they say it should be between .451 and .453. Mine is .4545 which is out of spec by their standards. For me, I don't really mind since I intend to shoot sized down 45-70 boolits and a .454 sizer is standard for many old 45 Colt revolvers. This could be disastrous for someone who doesn't slug their bore and just tries to plunk down a undersized boolit which wouldn't stay on top of the charge.

Some reported a choked barrel. I haven't tested for this yet and my understanding is that when shooting Mini balls this is actually an intended feature in some rifles. Anyone know if that's true?

It may be a while before I shoot it since I just ordered my moulds today, but I'll update this thread for those interested.

Boolit Grand Master
    Poor quality control drives me nuts. I guess for some it's just a production item when at other times/companies these things were made by actual gun guys.

Boolit Master
    I've been curious about this one. Will be very interested in how it shoots.

Boolit Grand Master

That's nothing new. CVA never had good or bad years... they were always just CVA. An Optima makes sense. They are an inexpensive rifle that works. I am a little confused why people are paying $500, $600, or more for any CVA. You can get a Knight Mountaineer at that price range that will blow the doors off of just about anything else out there. It's not too late to return your rifle. Knight has the Moutaineeer on sale for $550. I'm not aware of another production muzzleloader with an MOA guarantee. It's even available in a 45 cal 1:20" twist.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 07-08-2022 at 07:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Just a quick update. BPI who owns CVA sent me a new grip and it fits much better. It's not 100% but it's not touching the barrel anymore. I'll try to figure out how to tweak it. I have my moulds now so this weekend I make muzzleloading food.

As for Knight. I know they make great guns but I'm a bit addicted to the luxury of a break action barrel with a quick detach breech plug. If they could make priming the gun easier, without using a tool and a way to remove the plug without a wrench then there'd be no reason not to buy one.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    Just a quick update. BPI who owns CVA sent me a new grip and it fits much better. It's not 100% but it's not touching the barrel anymore. I'll try to figure out how to tweak it. I have my moulds now so this weekend I make muzzleloading food.

As for Knight. I know they make great guns but I'm a bit addicted to the luxury of a break action barrel with a quick detach breech plug. If they could make priming the gun easier, without using a tool and a way to remove the plug without a wrench then there'd be no reason not to buy one.

That's the Knight Vision, it's even cheaper. It's on sale for $200 right now, but I don't see a 45 caliber. They can be had with the bare 209 breech plug, as can every other night except the TK2000. I'm not sure if they still make any plunger style rifles. I have no idea if they offer any kind of knurled plugs. Once most manufacturers went to hex head plugs, I was happy.

Boolit Master
    While I like the Knight rifles, I also like the design of the CVA's with the easy to remove breech plug. You can shoot, swab it from the breech, load and shoot again from a 'clean' bore. I'm just interested if they can get decent accuracy from the break action. I have not been that impressed with other CVA's, even with the Bergara barrels.

Boolit Mold
    its a quality control issue on the forearm. The entire barrel was built off center too.

Boolit Master
    https://youtu.be/1cD9Nc0zwOw

This guy is making easy hits at 340 yards with a bottom of the barrel CVA Wolf and Optima. He's using sabots and Blackhorn powder.

I have no interest in plastic or nitrocellulose. It's lead and BP for me.

I've got my charges weighed and boolits cast and sized. I have a Monday off next week and that will be range day.

My Optima is fantastic once you find what it likes. We'll see if the new LRX is any better.

Boolit Master
    I shot a long boring video which I'll link to soon, but here's a look at my targets.

The boolit was the Lee 459-500-3R sized to 454. Loading required a short starter. I used charges of 55,65 and 75grains of screened BP made from Willow char.

This was my first outing and I was just trying to find what worked. I did not weigh each bullet, I did not cull the blemished, I did not swab between shots and I wasn't shooting off a bean bag so there's a lot of extra potential on the table. The distance was 50 yards.

65grains wasn't very punishing and gave great accuracy. Velocity was 978 on average and energy was 1062 ft/lbs.

https://youtu.be/Y-5eDr8xBrs Video
    Last edited by Super Sneaky Steve; 08-01-2022 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added video

Boolit Master
    Tested the Lee Improved Mini today.
    https://youtu.be/vQ_i2K5mfdY
    Basically 300gr isn't heavy enough for a 1:20 barrel. I got OK accuracy with 60gr by weight but if I went up to 70 my groups open up from 2.5" to 5".

Trying to go to 80gr gives me a shotgun pattern of about a foot and a half. Still clean holes so I don't think I'm blowing the skirt off. Not sure what's going on.

I tried lowering the charge taking it down another 100fps and the groups opened up again so I left with a single usable charge of 60gr that gives me about 1100fps. I'll be moving away from this one.

Boolit Master
    Enjoyed your video and it left me a bit amazed! Never considered making powder. You seem to be doing excellent work.
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

I have a .45 caliber CVA Accura MR-X. Would like to be able to determine bore dimensions because I already know it's funky. My calipers are ***** and I can't measure groove marks with my micrometer worth spit. What I would like and don't have is the ability to produce are .452/.453/.454/.455/and .456 test bullets. Thor makes a test pack for .50 caliber but I can't find one for .45.

It someone wants to put together such a test pack, price it to me please!!

I think CVA has totally screwed the pooch on these MR/LR -X series of rifles. COVID quality I guess. But calling a rifle that weighs over 8 pounds without any extras a "mountain rifle" is more that a little screwy.
    Last edited by Underclocked; 08-21-2022 at 12:16 PM.
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Underclocked View Post
    I have a .45 caliber CVA Accura MR-X. Would like to be able to determine bore dimensions because I already know it's funky. My calipers are ***** and I can't measure groove marks with my micrometer worth spit. What I would like and don't have is the ability to produce are .452/.453/.454/.455/and .456 test bullets. Thor makes a test pack for .50 caliber but I can't find one for .45.

It someone wants to put together such a test pack, price it to me please!!

I think CVA has totally screwed the pooch on these MR/LR -X series of rifles. COVID quality I guess. But calling a rifle that weighs over 8 pounds without any extras a "mountain rifle" is more that a little screwy.
    With mine I recently used pin gauges. I know I said it was .454 above but it's actually .4520. A .4525 pin will go in about an inch then stop.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by canyon-ghost View Post
    Enjoyed your video and it left me a bit amazed! Never considered making powder. You seem to be doing excellent work.
    Ron
    I have a video on how I make my rice starch batch. It's not very hard to do with a few basic easy to find tools.

Tomorrow I'll be testing out the Lee 400 grain cupped base bullet. I hope it's heavy enough to stabilize as good as the 500gr did. Looking to get more velocity without all the shoulder bashing kick.

I did pick up a brake so I may throw it on if things get hairy.

Boolit Master
    Looking forward to the video!

Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Master
    Boolit today was the Lee 495-405-HP sized to .453. It worked out better than the 300gr mini but not as good as the big 500gr missile.

I'll upload the video soon. I did slap on a brake for the 90gr load and it worked well. As long as you don't expect to swab or seat with the short end of your starter it does the job. After a few shots it was slathered with warm liquid lard.

https://youtu.be/0aKOyL3shDw
    Last edited by Super Sneaky Steve; 08-22-2022 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added video link

SSS, are you shooting pure lead or an alloy? I think I'm going to need a .453 sizer. Not familiar with these new Lee sizers but may have to give one a try.
    "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." Understand?

Boolit Master
    Once you get the charge you want, try putting a wad under the bullet. I use both a lubed felt and a card wad. Increases accuracy a bit more.

When shooting bullets that need to be upset into the rifling they need to be soft, 1:40 or so.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Underclocked View Post
    SSS, are you shooting pure lead or an alloy? I think I'm going to need a .453 sizer. Not familiar with these new Lee sizers but may have to give one a try.
    Yes pure lead. The pot needs to be really hot and the mould needs to be really hot too for good fill out, but it can be done without any tin.

My .453 sizer is from NOE. You need to buy their kit first but then you can change the sizing bushings for $10. I like my Lee sizers but they only come in popular sizes and .453 ain't one of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast