RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationPBcastcoRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Older RCBS priming tool

Boolit Buddy

Older RCBS priming tool

Is this RCBS priming tool worth having/using? I know the newer APT is faster.

Hello shtur,

I have and use one of those.
    I put rubber pads on the bottom and sit at the coffee table while priming, watching TV.
    One does need to lube the cam, otherwise it will get sticky and you loose feel of the primer.
    I love it and searched a long time before I found one, no regrets.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Buddy

Call mine a "Jack" because it reminds me of a bottle jack. Use often for anything that doesn't go in the Dillon. Excellant feel and simple. GW

Very simple, effective and sought after priming tool.

Boolit Master

They are very useful tools.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

The Universal Priming Tool with its 100 capacity "auto-prime" feed tube may be a bit "faster".
    Yours is rugged, will never wear out, and is equally sensitive to feel.
    Gotta improve that handle though. That'll kill your hand if you do more than (say) 100 cases.
    The UPT has a "rubber" grip, which is, imo, insufficient when priming a lot of cases.
    Maybe add a return spring also so it is "always" at or near the top and ready for the next primer.

It "looks" funny and complicated, but it works when priming a LOT of cases in short sequence.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

The "old" primer tool may be slower, but it is a very easy to use, positive seating priming tool. I have no need for speed while reloading (40 years experience and no kabooms, no squibs). I have the RCBS AutoPrimng tool, but was disappointed when I tried to use it. The tool must be mounted with the handle hanging out over the edge of the bench of mounted on a 3" riser to keep the handle from hitting the bench before a primer is seated, and the primer tube flopping back and forth in front of my face was kinda disconcerting. I made a riser and cut 1 1/2" off the handle. It works, OK, but I often prime on my Co-Ax or with a ram prime
    My Anchor is holding fast!

If you can not feel the primer seat, you simply have the wrong priming tool. You really do not know when the pocket is correct, unless you can feel the primer actually seating fully. The RCBS Universal is what I use, because I can feel the primer seat fully every time. Mine is a different version than shown, with the round hard green plastic handle.
    If you shoot matches every cartridge better be right or you become an also came.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    The Universal Priming Tool with its 100 capacity "auto-prime" feed tube may be a bit "faster"....

Land Owner, I applaud your ingenuity!!!

I haven't tried them all but I sure like my RCBS bench top primer. My only minor complaint is that its hard to store with the handle sticking out & if I leave it attached on my bench, the handle gets bumped a lot.
    I know, I'm nit-picking....
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy

All the opinions are very positive for this old priming tool. I'm going to prime some '06 cases with it to see how I like using it. Thanks for all the replies.

I like mine, got it for $1.00 at swap shop. looks like the one with the spring attached.