Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage model 23 in 32-20

Boolit Master

Savage model 23 in 32-20

I'm looking at one of these at an LGS. Pretty clean overall, bore is in good shape and it has the original magazine. The owner is asking $690 and doesn't want to come down any off the price (yet).

I used to own a Marlin lever action in 32-20 and liked it quite a lot for hunting small game. It was accurate with jacketed pills but it split every case when fired. I sold it to a friend who didn't reload but I've always regretted losing access to the caliber. I can reload for it, and I have a supply of both brass and loaded shells.

That being said, this one looks really interesting but I know nothing about this model Savage and am curious whether this price is reasonable.

Thanks in advance...HW

Boolit Grand Master

I have no idea the value in Texas, but the fact that it has the magazine is a major plus. I wouldn't buy one without a mag. Mine is in 25-20.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I have no idea the value in Texas, but the fact that it has the magazine is a major plus. I wouldn't buy one without a mag. Mine is in 25-20.
    Wayne, do you like it?

Boolit Master
    Buy it. Anneal the cases to make them last. You will like it!

Boolit Master
    I think show prices were around $400-500 in my area, before the recent craziness. I have one in 25-20, never shot anything other than cast in it. Nice handling, nice weight for easy carrying, plenty accurate for head shots on ground hogs (with scope, it was drilled when I got it), lots of reasons to like it. For me, the cock on closing took some getting used to. Never had a bolt action that wasn't cock on opening before. I have only ever seen one magazine for a model 23 at a gun show, and the price was $150. Be very careful not to lose it or drop it on the feed lips.
    Buy the gun, you'll like it.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses - I'm going to head down over the weekend and try to snag it.

Boolit Master
    I have one. Worn on the outside but good inside. It seems to favor the lighter 80-gr boolits, but the 100 and 115-gr shoot well, too.

Triple K makes magazines for the 23B and C. Not the style of the originals, but they fit and feed just fine.

Boolit Grand Master

We also have a 32-20. Where I grew up there was a constant following of either 32-20 or 25-20. Both groups thought theirs was best...
    But I always thought bigger holes were better.
    We near only load a 115 gr FPPB. Never lost a big corn fed groundhog when shot through the shoulders or head.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of each, a 25/20 and a 32/20.

25/20

32/20

Both are extremely accurate with loads they like and if you keep velocities near factory these guns will last forever.

If you decide to buy the one local to you I believe you will enjoy shooting it.

Keep in mind that 32/20 brass is fairly scarce nowadays and if you don’t already have some on hand you’re likely to go walk yourself bow legged and blind trying to find it.

Boolit Master
    I like those pics. My son is overrun with jacks where they live near San Angelo - that’s pretty cool with the can attached.

Y’all have sold me - I’m going after it.

I have 50 rounds of 32-20 factory loads and about 75 empties.

Boolit Buddy
    I also have one in 32-20 . Great fun only ever shot mine with cast .
    Mine also has the magazine .
    I have 300 empty cases another plus

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Mine pre-dates the Model 23 and is marked simply Savage Sporter. It has simple open sights and is not drilled and tapped for peep sights or scope mounts. With simple open sights and factory .32-20 ammo or handloads with 105-grain Accurate .31-105T cast bullets and 3.5 grains of Bullseye I get very satisfactory 3-inch iron sight groups at 100 yards and under 2 inches at 50 yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32-20SavageSporter100yds.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	302247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage 32-20.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	302248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31-105T-D.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	302251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WRA32-20bulletVsAcc31-105T.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	302252

Gun has killed truck loads of game from groundhogs to deer over last 75 years. A 5-inch S&W 1905 Hand Ejector shoots the same loads and fed the family during the Great Depression. You don't need supersonic velocities in a .32-20. Look for 900 fps revolver and 1050 fps rifle. Fully adequate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 340 Dockendorff rearsight.jpg  
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-17-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Saw one at the gunstore today in 32/20 with a perfect mirror bore for the princely sum of $AU500!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Now you have me looking for one in .32-20. I have a 23-D in 22 Hornet, with a sloppy chamber, and hard on brass. Do the .32-20's have large chambers? Sorry for the thread drift.

Boolit Master
    Well, I bought it. Pics to follow in a few days. Looks pretty clean so far but I haven’t shot it yet.

Boolit Master
    I saw one at a show yesterday it was a beater and the guy wouldn't buge at 850 but then again he was kind of a nut job everything on his table was priced at 850 including newer stuff like a spray painted savage axis.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Now you have me looking for one in .32-20. I have a 23-D in 22 Hornet, with a sloppy chamber, and hard on brass. Do the .32-20's have large chambers? Sorry for the thread drift.
    My early 1920s Sporter which pre-dates the Model 23 has a nice snug chamber. Reloads assembled with Ideal tong tool will chamber in my 1915 S&W Hand Ejector, but not the reverse.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

They're mighty scarce on Gunbroker, and one seller is trying to get $100 for a .32-20 magazine. Even if you paid his price, I think you did as well as can be done in this day and age.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of each, 32-20 and 25-20. Both are the earlier models with the cheese grater magazines, I have four of those and they all work for either gun. Brass is not a problem, Starline has 32-20 and that can be sized to 25-20. You do HAVE to reload though. Look for the Lyman 311316 and 311319 for the 32-20 and the 257420 for the 25-20. All are gas checked moulds. There are several new mould makers making these moulds now but they all also appear on Ebay from time to time.
    You will find that with 1680 powder and these slugs, the model 23 will shoot lights out at 50 yards.
    FWIW
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master

Yea, I like mine. It's a simple, competent machine, nothing fancy.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast