WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage model 23 in 32-20

Boolit Master

I love the Savage 23's. From the LR to the '20's they are very nice "cheap" guns some (many) Couldn't afford if built today.

I like the 32/20 better then the 25/20 But I like my Savage 23 25/20 better then the 32-20 version.

https://rumble.com/vs7g0h-coyote-down.html

Its a fine good ahooting rifle that shoots cast wonderfully

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Attachment 302357

Here’s my new toy - sorry for the late picture.

Fired one shot for functionality and hit a pop can; appears to be in great shape. My only question is: How does the magazine release? Or is it fixed and has to be loaded one at a time?

Boolit Master
    I figured out the mag release. Kinda weird - no surprise people lost them occasionally in the field if the mag didn’t latch properly.

She looks very nice and clean. You did well sir.

Boolit Master
    Probably should start a new thread, but for what it’s worth, I had a hunch and loaded a few of the old Speer .30 cal half-jacket plinkers in some 32-20 cases over 16.0 gr of Reloder 7. Very accurate at 25 yds and report is not too loud. I shot at a 6x6 post and the bullets zipped right thru. Too bad that Speer bullet is not generally available anymore.

Boolit Master
    Hope you have lots of enjoyment from that rifle! I tried to get my mitts on one in 25-20 several years ago but the owner was trying to get about 450 out of it and I backed away.

Anyway I got into Contenders and bought a carbine barrel from EDSTC for 295 instead.

I would go for 32-20 but I have a 10” in 30 Herret and a Super 14 in 30-30 Win so I figure that dance card is full enough already.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Hope you have lots of enjoyment from that rifle! I tried to get my mitts on one in 25-20 several years ago but the owner was trying to get about 450 out of it and I backed away.

Anyway I got into Contenders and bought a carbine barrel from EDSTC for 295 instead.

I would go for 32-20 but I have a 10” in 30 Herret and a Super 14 in 30-30 Win so I figure that dance card is full enough already.

Best regards

Three44s
    Thanks! I paid $690 for this one plus tax but it's practically brand new - the bore is spotless; rifle looks like it was built last month. I can't figure out when it was made but it's a high number so I'm thinking late 1930's or early 40's. I owned a Marlin some 40 years ago but the interior was not this good.

Boolit Master
    Since I normally don't reload any caliber developed after about 1908, my cousin offered me a set of RCBS 32-20 dies. I reluctantly took them. That planted the seed; so been idly looking at gun shows for a rifle in 32-20. Already have two sets of molds - both IIRC throw a 98 grain swc at about .312 or maybe .314. Y'all ain't helping me a bit.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Since I normally don't reload any caliber developed after about 1908, my cousin offered me a set of RCBS 32-20 dies. I reluctantly took them. That planted the seed; so been idly looking at gun shows for a rifle in 32-20. Already have two sets of molds - both IIRC throw a 98 grain swc at about .312 or maybe .314. Y'all ain't helping me a bit.
    That's about the same date range for my reloading - newest caliber I load is 45 ACP, the rest are older...

I looked for a decent lever gun for a long time but the prices are always too high for my budget or they were junk - so I switched to looking at other actions, which is how I identified this one. I would not have known much without posting this thread and getting the positive responses from owners.

Find a good one and buy it - you won't regret the decision!

Boolit Master
    Actually the introduction of the 32-20 happened in 1882 so it’s right in your “wheel house".

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Get to a certain point and you have to do some figuring; like when I tried a moderate load for the 45 Colt with Win 231 in that big old black powder case a moderate load was very positional sensitive. If I did not turn the barrel up before firing, I'd get @ 340 fps.

Boolit Master

You could send those dies to me, thereby removing much of the temptation. I have two boxes of new Starline brass and three barrel blanks. I feel I am most of the way there, could fit one of the barrels to a Handi Rifle or a Winchester 37A, once I have the time to work on gun stuff.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    You could send those dies to me, thereby removing much of the temptation. I have two boxes of new Starline brass and three barrel blanks. I feel I am most of the way there, could fit one of the barrels to a Handi Rifle or a Winchester 37A, once I have the time to work on gun stuff.
    I appreciate it, but I've been kind of interested in 32-20 for a spell. Cousin got the dies and a couple of tubs off cast 100 and 116 grain bullets along with a rifle from a feller from up North somewhere. He claimed he'd killer several Elk with it. No Elk around here, but there is of course smaller game here - still yet if I deer hunt I will use my 308.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12