Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lead in Bolt Carrier of AR 300 BO need help getting it out. Ideas?

Boolit Master

Lead in Bolt Carrier of AR 300 BO need help getting it out. Ideas?

I think it is from the ****ty Lee undersized boat tailed boolit. I tried adding a thick enough PC to them but still they were barely 308. Thing is they were the only cast one of my 300's would cycle. Never leaded the bore. Has anyone dealt with this and what is a good way to get the lead out. Don't know how well the carbon removing tools would work on the lead. Not using the mold anymore.

You got actual molten lead that passed back down the gas tube and into the BCG bolt cavity....?
    ...or something else ?

Boolit Master
    I have had to clean lead deposits from AR-15 bolts on several guns (a number of 300 BOs and a 357Ar Max). All boolits associated with this problem were ASBB PC coated without gas checks. This lead build up appears to be from gas cutting of the base (through the PC) occurring as the boolit goes past the gas port. I was also having "flyer" problems with these loads. Shorter length gas systems and higher pressure loads seem to make the problem worse.

After thinking things through, I have decided that Gas Checks applied after PC coating of boolits was probably the "correct answer" to using boolits in gas operated rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    You got actual molten lead that passed back down the gas tube and into the BCG bolt cavity....?
    ...or something else ?

You think it were impossible but it ain't. I was surprised too. Figured the tube would get clogged first. But those gasses are hot and moving fast till they hit the BCG.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I have had to clean lead deposits from AR-15 bolts on several guns (a number of 300 BOs and a 357Ar Max). All boolits associated with this problem were ASBB PC coated without gas checks. This lead build up appears to be from gas cutting of the base (through the PC) occurring as the boolit goes past the gas port. I was also having "flyer" problems with these loads. Shorter length gas systems and higher pressure loads seem to make the problem worse.

After thinking things through, I have decided that Gas Checks applied after PC coating of boolits was probably the "correct answer" to using boolits in gas operated rifles.
    Yeah gas checks would be best but a lot of these were suppressed and I was worried about baffle strikes with loose checks. I am just not going to shoot cast in cans anymore.

Is anything actually clogged, or just deposits found
    in the bolt cavity and on bolt rings ?

If so, I'd just clean the cavity with a 410 shotgun
    brush wrapped in copper/BreakFree Chore Boy,
    ditto clean same the rings/bolt.

Boolit Master

Try suppressor cleaning solution, something like hydrogen peroxide, white vineger...

Boolit Master

If so, I'd just clean the cavity with a 410 shotgun
    brush wrapped in copper/BreakFree Chore Boy,
    THis reminded me. I had swapped BCG and bolts ( new rifle was a 6.8) with the 300 pistol. (it had a nice bcg). I remember the tail of the bolt being nasty, carbon and a little lead, in the 300 but never thought to look in the carrier. Heck it may never cause a problem but not using it till I get it clean. I will try some of the techniques.

Boolit Master
    Chore Boy,
    In my case, the lead deposits were mostly on the bolt. If I let it go long enough, the bolt would get stiff to move inside the carrier. Cleaning was not hard, I think I mostly just used bronze wool.

Boolit Master
    got it soaking in some Ed's Red I mixed up about 10 years ago. I will let it soak and find some copper or bronze wool. Mind you this build up was heavy.