Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Renting a chamber reamer

Renting a chamber reamer

I've never done this before but I have a Zastava 'mini Mauser' in 5.56 with a bad barrel and I'm planning to rebarrel in 300 AAC. I always buy new reamers but I can't imagine wanting to do something like this again and since I need headspace gauges also I'm kicking around the idea of renting the reamer and gauges just one time.

That said, anyone here had any experience renting a chamber reamer and how was your experience?

I may talk myself back out of renting especially if the results have been spotty. Could always sell them all and probably break even by the time I pay the rental fees.

Thanks for looking.

Boolit Master
    Norwegians have a saying: never lend your boat motor or your wife...

Meant to viewed as humor
    Last edited by Martin Luber; 07-07-2022 at 03:45 PM.

Not asking for anyone to lend me anything. Asking about renting one from one of the chamber reamer rental companies. There are several of them.

Vendor Sponsor

Call Keith Rice, White Rock Tool & Die and ask him about it. He rents reamers and is very reliable and quite affordable.

816-454-0478
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    CH4D has always been top notch for me. Can rent for a couple of days or a week. The reamers have always been sharp and worked well. Return was easy in original shipping container with the included return label.

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    CH4D has always been top notch for me. Can rent for a couple of days or a week. The reamers have always been sharp and worked well. Return was easy in original shipping container with the included return label.
    ^^^^^ DITTO^^^^^ I've rented from C4HD three or four times over the years.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I have over 100 reamers but there is always a time I don't have what I need. 4D has been very helpful when needed.

Boolit Master
    I’ve rented a half dozen or so from White Rock, CH4D, Reamerrentals and Shawnee Tool. (Some of these outfits may no longer be in business.) Never had one from any of them that was dull, out of spec, or otherwise unsatisfactory.

There was one kerfuffle with one outfit that sent me a .40-90 Sharps Straight reamer for the .40-90 Shiloh Sharps chambering (based on .405 WCF Basic brass) when I wanted one for the slightly fatter original case as replicated by Bertram, but that really wasn’t anyone’s fault except mine, for not doing the necessary research ahead of time.

I have bought new reamers for one-off rifles in oddball calibers (including the one above), but as the price kept going up, it became less and less cost-effective.

Boolit Bub
    i'll second Keith Rice. No website, but Keith normally answers the phone. Generally 30 days to complete the work and return the reamer.

Boolit Master

I don't own any reamers because renting them has worked out well every time I needed one.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Mold
    I've used both 4D Reamer Rentals and Elk Ridge Reamers several times and have always had great luck with both companies.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    CH4D doesn't rent reamers that I'm aware of, I believe that would be 4D Reamer Rentals.