RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32cal Thompson Center

32cal Thompson Center

Hey guys I have a Thomson center muzzleloader rifle 32cal 4 digit serial # and #11 cap wondering what it would be worth any ideas. I am unable to find date of manufactur.

Thank you and God Bless

JDAS
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0402241757~2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	325371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0402241756~2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	325369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0402241756a~2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	325370
    Last edited by Jadkins87; 04-02-2024 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added info

Boolit Grand Master
    ? rifle ? pistol ? Any chance of a photo?

Boolit Master
    What model TC is it ?
    Seneca ?

It's a rifle and does not have a model name

God Bless and Thank you

JDAS

Pictures added

Boolit Master
    Its a cherokee model try around 30 grains of 3fg with a .310 round ball. The small bore T/C's were made in the 80's and early 90's and if in great shape can bring north of 600 but in very good bring around 450. I had a couple of them when they were still in production.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Its a cherokee model try around 30 grains of 3fg with a .310 round ball. The small bore T/C's were made in the 80's and early 90's and if in great shape can bring north of 600 but in very good bring around 450. I had a couple of them when they were still in production.
    1Hawkeye Thank you for the information

Thank you and God Bless

JDAS

Boolit Master

Yes, Cherokee model. I had on and used it in muzzleloading matches called Raccoon shoot. The target was a picture of a Raccoon head on with a circle around the eyes brain area. That was the only scoring area. It was a two minutes drill at 25 yards. Object was to see how many shots you could get into the circle. My buddy, who was a few years older than I was, would beat me most of the time by using the old 2 balls down the snout on each shot. He would shoot 3 shots and put 6 shots into the circle most of the time. While I would struggle to get off 4 and sometimes 5 shots depending on how badly that little 32 bore fouled. It was a great little rifle and like a dang idiot I have always been, I sold it for $400.00 many years ago to buy another rifle. james

That is an awesome rifle. I have two Cherokee rifles, a 45 and a 36. They are very accurate and very comfortable to carry.

Boolit Bub
    As others have said, it's a Cherokee. The Seneca was a fancier offering, having a patch box and brass nose cap. The barrels are the same width, but their ribs are not the same length, so Seneca barrels will fit Cherokee stocks, but Cherokee barrels will not fit Seneca stocks. Both use the same lock, which is also the same as the T/C Patriot pistol.

The .45 barreled versions are somewhat vulnerable to breaking at the wrist.

Boolit Master

I always wanted one!! Looks great!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I always wanted one!! Looks great!
    I am shocked at how much interest this rifle has brought the last few days.. Seems they are generally very good shooting guns.

God Bless

JDAS

Boolit Buddy
    It is a odd bird being 32 cal since 36 cal was always known as the "squirrel caliber" muzzle loader. I even looked at my TC muzzle loader booklet from 1981 and there was no mention of 32 cal. The smallest they had was the 36 cal Seneca.

Does anyone know if TC ever made a 32 cal Maxiball mold? If so I would get one since the rifle probably has 1-48 rifling which should perfectly stabilize it.

I haven't asked about this but I also have a 32cal revolver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0403242107~3.jpg  

Also a E.N. Santana Barbara 44cal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0403242107~4.jpg  

Boolit Master

Thompson Center started selling muzzle loading rifles in about 1970 and from what I have read, they started with serial #1,000. A four digit serial # should put it somewhere from 1971-1973 I would think, depending upon just how low the # is. A fire later on destroyed all the records of the earlier guns so there is no way of knowing other than from what dates others had bought their's new.

From the UPI:
    "ROCHESTER, N.H., March 28, 1997 -- Fire crews battled an explosion- punctuated blaze during the night at a gun factory complex in New Hampshire. Officials say the five-alarm fire destroyed three buildings at Thompson Center Arms and Thompson Tool Co., one of the largest employers in the Rochester area."

From Wikipedia:
    "Cherokee: Barrel: 24” octagonal, twist: 1:30 (32) & 1:48 (36 & 45), Trigger: double set, Caliber: 32, 36 & 45, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued 1994, Ignition: percussion"

"Seneca: Barrel: 27” octagonal, twist: 1:30 (32) & 1:48 (36 & 45), Trigger: double set, Caliber: 32, 36 & 45, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued 1987, Ignition: percussion"
    Last edited by HamGunner; 04-03-2024 at 10:32 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

HamGunner Thank you for the extra information.

God Bless

JDAS

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    It is a odd bird being 32 cal since 36 cal was always known as the "squirrel caliber" muzzle loader. I even looked at my TC muzzle loader booklet from 1981 and there was no mention of 32 cal. The smallest they had was the 36 cal Seneca.

Does anyone know if TC ever made a 32 cal Maxiball mold? If so I would get one since the rifle probably has 1-48 rifling which should perfectly stabilize it.
    Track of the Wolf has Lee 6 cavities in stock $61

Boolit Buddy
    If I had a 32 cal rifle I would grab one. The only issue that needs some research is how well the bullet will stabilize with a faster 1:30 twist. I thought the older TC muzzle loaders were all 1:48 which was optimized for their Maxi Ball. Is the same true for the .32?.

Boolit Master

My .32 TCB Cherokee shot very well with a round ball, patched. I never tried or used a maxi ball as I never really saw any use for them. All my muzzleloaders have/had twist rates for round ball as that is what they were originally designed to shoot. If I wanted to shoot more modern black powder rifles with maxi balls, I would get an inline front stuffer. They have the twist rate for maxi's and not round ball. But to each his own, james

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast