RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inventory

Boolit Master
    Whatever you do,make backups. More than one.

Anything digital can -and will- disappear just like that.

I have recorded audio on hard drives since the 80's. Used every digital storage option there is.

Definitely print,too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Digital records are good, so long as you maintain a copy separate from the database...meaning a thumb drive. Print a paper copy too and keep that in a fire safe.
    Sorry; I have to throw in my two cents here. The only medium more effective at losing data than a thumb drive is a floppy disk. I’ve been an IT professional since before we had USB devices of any kind. Fortunately, now retired. I can’t begin to tell how many people have come to me with a USB (thumb) drive in hand wanting their data to be recovered. They corrupt very easily.

Back data up to a real external hard drive or burn a CD or DVD. Thumb drives are not good back up media. Syndicated computer guru Kim Komando will tell you the same thing. Store the backup in a separate location from the computer so both are not lost in a fire or theft. Store a printed copy of your inventory in your safe deposit box. Update all of them every time the inventory changes.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I use the Excell spread sheet as well - then take photos and save the JPEGs in a separate file.

I keep a gun inventory, mold inventory and reloading equipment inventory - I also keep a household inventory room by room. The biggest thing is to train yourself to keep it current and not put it off.

One of the most helpful things I started doing years ago was keeping a house file. When a new appliance was purchased or repaired, a repair to the house was done, new roof, painting, etc. I keep track of what was done, who did it, what the cost was, model numbers, etc. to go back and refer to if I need to. Time has a way of flying by and it's hard to remember just when something was done.

I can see how a specific software could be helpful - just remember that even the most advanced program is worthless if you don't take the time to keep it current. Keep a back-up copy in another place so if your house should burn your inventory doesn't turn to smoke too - and a printed copy is a good idea to. A good inventory is a blessing to the person/s who have to Adminstrate your Estate when and if something happens to your or if you have a surviving spouse.
    Very good system and advice here. The key to all of it is keeping it up. I have inventory of primers, powder, bullets, and reloading equipment along with household items. Further, I have a couple rental homes as well that we keep inventory on with video and other methods. Certainly, get in the habit of updating the list whenever something changes, a new firearm, remodeled room, new appliance, etc but also have a date set in your calendar to sit down with your significant other and review it all, it is easy to forget things. It is very easy to forget when you remodeled a room, what appliances were new, etc. Time gets away from us as we get older and then you have the insurance company to deal with in the case of a tragedy.

Once that is all compiled, keep a copy in your safe or other safe place and another copy in the cloud or off site in a safe deposit box.

You fellas are so high tech and modern. Being a fossil, and less computer gifted than many, I keep a 3-ring binder. It's a smaller size. When I acquire or dispose of a firearm I just record the particulars on a page and staple the acquisition paperwork to the same page and it's all there together. Probably no one else would do it that way, but if you do, buy several packs of pages if the binder is of a smaller less used size, as when you go to buy more 10 years from now they'll most likely be unavailable. Advantages to the system are that once you sell one, if you have no reason to keep the record you can remove it from the binder and trash it, you can trash a page if you made a mistake without scribbling out an entry and making an entire printed list messy. Please note that the ATF prohibits dealers from using this system, saying that your records have to be a "bound book." Yes, I do know that they now permit computer programs-- I'm talking personal non-FFL records.

DG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12