MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire 22WMR ammo - the price per round is INSANE!

Boolit Master

Rimfire 22WMR ammo - the price per round is INSANE!

I (may) have an option from a private seller for a KelTec 22 PMR pistol in 22WMR caliber. It feels nice in the hand, comes with 100 rounds, and I could (ordinarily) afford 2,500 additional rounds (retail online).

The cheapest prices of Armscor (not recommended by KelTec), CCI, Reminton, Winchester, that I find in stock (they say), online today are: $0.27, $0.28, $0.29, $0.30, $0.31 through and including $0.70 PER ROUND retail!!

What is wrong with the RETAILER's? Rimfire ammo price, which I cannot control through reloading, is INSANE.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

17 HMR ammo has gone through the roof as well.

22wmr has in my opinion, always been disproportionately higher priced when compared to 22lr. Not sure why. volume of sales maybe? I really like the cartridge but have never owned one because of this.
    Deplorable infidel

Super Moderator

It's been that way for years. Fortunately, I have enough on hand to last a long time.

Boolit Grand Master

$0.27 x 50 is $13.50 a box. That is not that much more than three years ago. I shoot a lot of 17 HMR and that was always cheaper than 22 Mag but currently it is significantly more. When I could find sales for $8.99 a box I would by a couple of cases of 17 HMR. I don't remember what the lowest 22 Mag prices were, but I've never seen it be less than 17 HMR until now.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Hello My Friend!!

I just was soaked for two boxes of Federal Punch as Federal wont sell to me at this location.

Love my PMR - 30!! But it takes much massaging and smoothing to make it a reliable runner.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    When I took the plunge to the magnum I bought enough ammo to smack woodchucks for a long time . I just wish I would have bought more to practice with .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Moderator Emeritus

I went back and checked mine from March 2020 and they were $0.124 each delivered for 5,000.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I went back and checked mine from March 2020 and they were $0.124 each delivered for 5,000.
    Wow! Where did you find that good of price? None of my sources in early 2020 came close to $6.20 per 50.

I purchase by the case also but 2,000 round cases are all I've found except for Armscor and they don't have the bullets I want.

I use 30 grain V-Max or 33 grain Remington AccuTip's for prairie dogs.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-04-2022 at 10:11 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Stay out of the big "sports" stores, seen 19.99/50 for CCI at Academy last night.

I guess it's all relative.

Compared to .22LR, when you can catch it on sale---- its always been higher than giraffe lips.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Actually .22mag ammo is down considerably from where it was a few months back.

Before this madness I was paying 20 to 24 cents per round. Now if you use ammo seek you can find it for 28 to 30 cents for the bullet weight and brand you prefer. Not all that bad. That 70 cents a round is what it was up to for a while in most places. Those stores likely have not sold much, so have not reordered and received fresh shipments at lower prices. And with current prices elsewhere, they are not likely to sell much.

Considering that to reload centerfire is going to cost you 15 cents a primer and more for powder, lead, brass. It does not seem as bad as it could.
    But if you have not been pricing ammo, wait till you see the prices on centerfire rifle ammo! Even .30-30 ammo that was available anywhere a year ago for 50 cents a round or less is now 2 or 3 dollars per round. 50$ for a box of 20, now that to me is greed pure and simple.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    .22 Mag never made much sense to me. Cheaper to reload .223 to whatever power level desired in the rifles.

In a pistol, I never had the need...but can see others that want it.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    .22 Mag never made much sense to me. Cheaper to reload .223 to whatever power level desired in the rifles.
    For a couple reasons, that was how I got into casting for .38Spec.
    Since my time (according to an ex-wife) is worth about 4 cents an hour, I figured out
    I could cast and shoot .38Spec. for almost the same price as buying premium .22s like CCI Stingers.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    I posted a thread here on how I make .22 Mag from .22 LR that equals .22 Mag performance in my Ruger Single Six. I don't have a .22 Mag rifle since I have a .22 Hornet.

I did that development and testing just because I am an experimenter and it seemed possible. I was disappointed in .22 Mag in a pistol as it was barely better than the best .22 LR ammo. I think factory .22 Mag is tuned to rifle length barrels. I could post test data both mine and published that demonstrates this.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    22wmr has in my opinion, always been disproportionately higher priced when compared to 22lr. Not sure why. volume of sales maybe? I really like the cartridge but have never owned one because of this.
    22 WMR uses "j words" and they're a lot more expensive than simple swaged lead bullets.

Boolit Master

Down loading CF calibers to RF preformance is just great unless you LEGALLY LIMITED TO RIM FIRE!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    What is wrong with the RETAILER's? Rimfire ammo price, which I cannot control through reloading, is INSANE.
    What exactly do you think is happening here? You think that vendors are buying 22WMR at $0.02/rd and then selling it to you at a 20x markup in some vast conspiracy to force you to pay more than grandpappy paid so that they can smoke stogies and swim in a huge vault of gold coins like Scrooge McDuck? Maybe they learned it from the gas station and grocery store owners. Filthy price gougers making us pay more than grandpappy paid! Who do they think they are.

It's not the retailers. It's economics. And opportunity cost.

And 22WMR has always been relatively expensive...And shooting is an expensive hobby.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    22 WMR uses "j words" and they're a lot more expensive than simple swaged lead bullets.
    Looking at some CCI WMR rounds on my shelf, the bullets are not jacketed they are plated.

Yes, others do use jacketed bullets.

TEK
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    What is wrong with the RETAILER's?
    Overall, some things are more profitable than others,
    but they all work on a straight, fixed percentage of mark up over what they pay for it.

If they get word a price on something will go from 10 cents on something they sell for 15 cents
    will now cost 15 cents on their next shipment, and then they'll need to sell it for 20 cents----
    they have to mark up everything in stock to the new price of 20 cents to be able to pay for their next shipment at 15 cents.

EVERYONE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast