Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rimfire 22WMR ammo - the price per round is INSANE!

Boolit Master

Some folks are LIMITED TO RIMFIRE!!!

State laws do not allow CENTERFIRE in some locations.

YES, a CF duplication loads are option for duplicating POWER
    LEVEL. BUT its not always the only option!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I hear that about Connecticut, but is there any other jurisdiction that prohibits centerfire for hunting?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Illinois doesn't allow center fires other than shotguns for small game. I would love to hunt squirrels with 38 wadcutters out of my ruger 77/357, but not an option in this state.

Edit: A quick google search shows that it is a relatively common restriction.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Had a 9422M for quite awhile and it was a good one that shot quite well. Good supply of ammo as well. Problem was that I also had a .22 Hornet, so the levermatic collected dust. It went down the road a few months back w/o hurting my wallet.
    just to clarify a bit. did you have a marlin 1894 in 22 mag? very desirable and extremely hard to find gun. or do you mean a winchester 9422m
    marlin made models 56 and 57 and 57m which are also known as levermatics. the model 56 has removable magazine and the model 57 has tube magazine. but both are short stroke lever actions that were given name "levermatic"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I had to make a grocery run to Walmart today and spotted these….

Needless to say they went home with me! Figured I’d kick myself if i didn't buy them. They took a $7 price hike. I know they got a batch in last year for $29 right after I bought mine for $22 and disappeared pretty fast. I haven’t seen any since. Figured it was still a good deal vs $46.98 at Cabelas and since I just bought a Walther WMR I needed some plinking ammo.
    That is exactly what I purchased, but my local wally world only sells but one box of .22 mag. I do not shoot much of it so a box of it or so is enough.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    In WI it's illegal to hunt small game with center fire rifles as well.

Boolit Master
    Those kind of laws are part of why I have lived in Ak and MT since 1983. I am not at all fond of the 22mag because of the cost of the ammo. If a 22 lr won't get the job done, I go to the 22H and then move up the line to what ever it takes.

Boolit Master
    for years its been cheaper to reload .223 than buy .22 magnum here in NZ..... and as we cant use .22magnum on public land for anything bigger than hares n rabbits...and even then we need a special small game permit.... so using the .223 has just made more sence..... and no we arent allowed to use handguns...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I wish we could use centerline. I'd down load one of my 223's.

Boolit Master
    hmmmmm seeing the thread on reloading PRIMERS...... and then reading here you cant use a centrefire.......wonder how the .44 rimfire would be able to be resserected from the dead???? or indeed any of the early rimfire rounds???
    does that centrefire exclusion allow a muzzle loader to be used???the rebel in me seems to be l
    searching for a LEGAL way to do things differently or more efficently....
    one of the blocks I hunt has access onto another hunting block through farmland but that access strictly forbids firearms to be carried across it...and I have found quite a few arrows with broadheads in the area..... not something I have picked up in any other public hunting area and yet have found three arrows, three different sorts up there,so would guess thats three different people all with same idea.

Technology certainly exists in the marketplace to reload any rimfire. Coming up with 44 rimfire brass would be the sticking point. I don't think it's beyond the abilities of an advanced home machinist to make the tooling necessary to form it, but no matter how it gets done it will be restricted to low pressures or the rims will burst.

Quaere: Would a machined-from-solid rimfire adaptor using a magnum RF blank as the primer be allowed under these laws? The .17 WSM rimfire cases I reform into .25 Stevens are capable of standing 20,000 psi, which is well above the blackpowder pressure that the old rimfires were limited to. That in theory could get you a .44 capable of over 2000 fps from a rifle barrel.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Those kind of laws are part of why I have lived in Ak and MT since 1983. I am not at all fond of the 22mag because of the cost of the ammo. If a 22 lr won't get the job done, I go to the 22H and then move up the line to what ever it takes.
    I guess ya dont smoke or drink alcohol either then? Do ya go to sports events or music concerts? ALL these things are FAR FAR FAR more then expensive in comparison. A hi priced box of maggies is 20/50pcs but its NOT a fair comparison as mag ammo is all
    Premium or higher quality then better then 1/2 of the LR offerings. There is no budget bulk. So a better fair comparison is hi end LR but even then you are not getting the same bullet. LR are plated or just lead lubed. Maggies are JACKETED.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    I bought my stockpile of 22 mag back in the 80's. Not sure exactly how many I have, but I picked them up anywhere they presented themselves. My last buy was at K Mart. They were clearancing all their ammo. I picked up 10 cases of 5000 Winchester 22 mag.In the paper box. Remember those? 15 cases of 5000 of Remington 22 Lr. A few cases of CCI Stingers. Among several cases of centerfire fodder they had stashed back there. If I recall correctly, I picked the 22 mag up for 2 cents. When my wife found out I had ran up that Visa bill, she became somewhat creative in describing my future state of affairs.

Boolit Bub
    What's the deal with the Marlin 94 M? I've got one from my dad, NIB, he bought me back in 1983 for a wedding gift. I've kept it in the safe, only took it out to wipe it down with an Outers silicone rag once or so a year. My go to 22 mags are a Winchester 9422 and an H&R Model 700. They both are accurate to the extreme.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123