RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark stain for walnut stock

Dark stain for walnut stock

I just bought a Pendersoli flintlock kit and I want to stain the walnut stock very dark, almost black. I've seen some that look like that but I've no idea what stain to look for. I plan to seal the stock with linseed oil after staining. Any suggestions for a stain?

Thanks for looking.

Boolit Grand Master
    Multiple coats of red mahogany. Gives a rich luster to the wood and just looks great. Some use cordovan shoe polish with some kind of vehicle (solvent) to work into the wood. I'd get some scraps and experiment.

Boolit Master

black walnuts make a nice dark stain

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have an original French 1777. The stock is almost black. It’s probably because of a lot of oil that was applied. I’ve seen some in a museum and they had lighter stocks. I’ve wondered if I should try and lighten mine.
    It’s all up to what you want. There are a variety of stains, but not all give the same results depending on the original wood. What is Pedersoli using for stocks today. Maybe beech? The color depends on the wood. Maybe you can can get some advice from Pedersoli.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I have an original French 1777. The stock is almost black. It’s probably because of a lot of oil that was applied. I’ve seen some in a museum and they had lighter stocks. I’ve wondered if I should try and lighten mine.
    It’s all up to what you want. There are a variety of stains, but not all give the same results depending on the original wood. What is Pedersoli using for stocks today. Maybe beech? The color depends on the wood. Maybe you can can get some advice from Pedersoli.
    It's American Walnut. It's not a period correct piece or reproduction so I decided I'm going to finish it according to my personal taste. The majority of muzzleloaders I see have lighter stocks with as much grain showing as possible so I'm going to try something different.

Boolit Master

Ordinary walnut stain will stain maple almost black.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Minwax has several stains that are dark. Jacobean and Ebony are a couple of choices.

Boolit Master
    I used the Minwax Ebony stain to darken some walnut grips for a pistol before.
    It was a small project.
    So I don't know how it would look doing a rifle stock in it.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The stock will darken over time. If you want it really dark, a couple applications of aquafortis or ferric nitrate, neutralized with heat will do it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Jacobean would also be my suggestion

I don't feel like I can give you any "for sure" advice. I used Ace Hardware Black Walnut stain on a walnut stocked Lee Enfield No.1 Mk. III and a walnut stocked M1 Garand. Both came out black. After a couple of years I couldn't take it anymore, and re-re-finished them to a lighter shade. Every piece of wood is different, and usually the exact shade of color will not result from staining any two pieces of wood with the same stain. So, I guess what I'm saying, is that you might re-think this, as you might really not like black. You can't see much of the grain, and few trees (there are some) have black wood. I have several BP rifles, and their stocks run from light brown to dark brown, but I doubt if Dan'el Boon's rifle was black.

DG

Boolit Master

I’ve had luck getting deep finishes by applying multiple coats of stain. Thin the 1st coat 50-60% with thinner, apply as directed. Wait several days (for thinner to evaporate) and do it again. Again wait and apply final stain coat. Stain will only penetrate so deep into the wood.
    The density, porosity, relative moisture and natural oil content of a wood determines how much and how deeply stain can penetrate. Same applies to a finish.

Boolit Master
    Alcohol based dyes like for leather , penetrate pretty deep.
    And they dry faster.
    But are expensive compared to oil base stains.
    Heck.
    I even thin Linseed oil and Tru Oil for doing the first coats on my stocks.
    Turpentine works best.
    But Mineral Spirits works good too.
    Or just paint thinner.
    I bet Leather dye can be thinned if needed with Denatured Alcohol.
    But I never use Water Base stains on my rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Stocks may start out light, but after many years of oil being applied, they can become very dark.

If my children or grandchildren want it lighter then they can set about refinishing it. I'll be too old to care or gone by the time it happens naturally.

MinWax Black Walnut stain over Walnut wood will darken it further with each application.

IME, Jacobean & Ebony stains appear like black paint.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

MinWax Black Walnut stain over Walnut wood will darken it further with each application.

IME, Jacobean & Ebony stains appear like black paint.
    Ok, good to know. I want it very dark but I'm definitely not after anything that resembles black paint like black furniture is for example.

Boolit Master
    Do a few tests in the barrel channel.
    That way you are staining the wood that you are actually using.
    And if you don't like the spot test , the barrel will cover it up.
    But don't color test in places like under the butt plate.
    That is End Grain and can soak up the stain and not produce the same color as will be on the other parts of the stock.
    Also.
    Testing in the barrel channel can be done far before you are ready to stain the rest of the stock.
    That gives you more time to decide if that color is what you want.
    And time to find other colors or application methods to refine your project , and not hold up the rest of your work.
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-05-2022 at 10:06 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Do a few tests in the barrel channel.That way you are staining the wood that you are actually using…..
    Agreed, just be aware that the barrel channel is probably not as well sanded as the outside stock surfaces. The finer you sand a piece of wood, the less stain it will accept.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast