Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

View Poll Results: Have you ever mixed copper sulphate with molten lead?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 13.33%
  • No

39 86.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever mixed copper sulphate with molten lead?

Boolit Master

Have you ever mixed copper sulphate with molten lead?

Why would you want to?

Boolit Buddy
    Nope I've never had the need to

Boolit Master
    What happens when you mix lead and copper in a solution?
    This is what’s known as a metal displacement reaction: the lead substitutes for the copper and ends up precipitating out of solution as insoluble lead (II) sulfate. This is similar to what happens in lead-acid batteries: What would you do with stuff.

I remember in boy scout camp one of the waterfront counselors would drag a burlap bag of copper-sulfate in the swimmers area. This was to kill the leaches.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Can't imagine why I would want to.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

No.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Because a little copper in the alloy makes tougher bullets

And some say it will remove any zinc contamination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mixing Pb and Cu doesn't work. Mixing Cu with Sb does work. Mixing suphur with lead works, hardens the Pb but stinks pretty bad.
    Covered in the stickys. CuSO4 replaces tin or zinc in the mix (maybe some other stuff too) and combines with Sb. Does NOTHING for Pb. Becomes a large tough molecule. I pushed 168gr to 2700 fps accurately out of AR10. 2k fps PB from BO carbine. Tough alloy holds to the rifling better and does pass the rpm limit, no problem. I don't deliberately use for pistol stuff but it doesn't hurt in 9mm.
    Cheap and easy way to get better bullets. Lee bottom pour pot doesn't freeze up, good bullets with NO tin. They PC fine too.
    Pb is malleable as it is a cubic lattice with low shear strength. Adding CU/SB molecule provides a better 'shear' strength without the brittleness of straight Sb.
    Last edited by popper; 07-05-2022 at 01:00 PM.
    Whatever!

I have been experimenting with this during the last year. I think it is beneficial for use in the 2300 to 2600 fps range. I have killed two deer with it. I plan to keep using it.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Master
    Several years ago I was given a piece of cylindrical metal which was quite dense and thought to be lead. I melted it in with some wheel weight alloy and I was surprised at the cobalt blue surface of the melted alloy. The mixture would not flow through my dipper when I tried casting and I felt that I had misidentified the metal I had added to the wheel weight. After attempting to dilute the mixture by adding additional wheel weight alloy (to no apparent effect) I in desperation purchased some copper sulfate and added several ounces a little at a time to the melted/contaminated alloy.. this resulted in the formation of a grey powder on the melt surface which I dipped off and disposed of. I had no idea what the compound was. I was left with a melted alloy which was acceptable as boolit material. I felt rather foolish about the whole thing as I was sure I had ruined a large quantity of wheel weight alloy and it was Popper’s suggestion on using the copper sulfate that allowed me to salvage a portion of the metal.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Newboy View Post
    Because a little copper in the alloy makes tougher bullets

And some say it will remove any zinc contamination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Never had a problem with zinc in my alloy. As far as the other goes if I want any copper ( which I don't ) in my alloy I would add a bit of Babbit metal.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
    I have been experimenting with this during the last year. I think it is beneficial for use in the 2300 to 2600 fps range. I have killed two deer with it. I plan to keep using it.
    Can you explain this in a little more depth? Why beneficial in that fps range or at all for that matter
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

jonp,
    I hunt, primarily, for deer and antelope. I also use, primarily, rifles in .30 and .33 calibers. I believe, all other things being equal, that "flatter" trajectories are "better" than more "arched" trajectories. Bullet "speed" is an important component of trajectories. Faster speeds equal flatter trajectories. I believe that a "tough" bullet alloy aids in achieving faster bullet speeds while still allowing "good" terminal performance in game. I believe that some copper in lead bullet projectiles can contribute to bullet toughness. I believe that the "copper sulfate - zinc/tin exchange" method is one way to achieve this.

Sadly, I don't have the time, energy and writing ability necessary to produce a well thought out, data heavy, image enhanced, article to "prove" my beliefs.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m surprised that such a high percentage of members have. I think that will change as the poll goes on.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got about 50 lbs of lead with zinc contamination. I have yet to use any but figured I would just mix a little in at a time with good lead. I would rather delute then play with another chemical but I am interested in possibly replacing zinc with copper sulphate. Only I would need research more before I would even consider.
    With people starting to cast with zinc and reclaim lead become a new standard over CWW this might come in handy in the very near feature.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I wanted a tougher not harder boolit

Apparently enough showed interest in this to make it a Sticky: Fifth one down from the top in this subform.

Boolit Grand Master

I for one remove the zinc wheel weights before they go into the melting pot .
    It isn't hard to test them with diagonal cutters ... why take a chance of melting them when it's so easy to test them .

Here is a saying from my Mom ... "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure "...
    Mixing Copper Sulfate with molten lead just doesn't sound like something I want to do .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I for one remove the zinc wheel weights before they go into the melting pot .
    It isn't hard to test them with diagonal cutters ... why take a chance of melting them when it's so easy to test them .

Here is a saying from my Mom ... "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure "...
    Mixing Copper Sulfate with molten lead just doesn't sound like something I want to do .
    Gary
    As do I and I'm sure must everyone here dose as well. I bought my zinc contaminate lead from a scrap dealer @ $0.50 a pound (still not bad) before I learned to test for zinc and I'm sure theirs a lot of boat keels that may be contaminated out there. I think unfortunately do to the supplies of lead in the country becoming more scarce tricks like this may need to become regular practice for casters in the near future who are using scrap metals or reclaim bullets to make alloys. I for one really don't want anything to do with it but if a few educated experiments can potentially assist me in the future. Then it's something I must at least consider.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone had XRF testing done on a lead sample after it was treated with copper sulphate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast