Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Have you ever mixed copper sulphate with molten lead?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 13.33%
  • No

39 86.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever mixed copper sulphate with molten lead?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Has anyone had XRF testing done on a lead sample after it was treated with copper sulphate?
    Now that's a good question. If finding an XRF gun in your area is an issue there's a member here who does lead testing.

I guess I could try different methods myself and send them all to be tested. To see which methods works best or works at all.

Boolit Bub
    Hardness does not matter as much as it used to. Do not ever see me adding copper to my melt. Thank you powder coat paint, you sure made life much easier.

If I need a tougher bullet (rarely) I add a small amount of copper hard babbit. You don't want to get carried away if you're using a bottom pour pot as a little too much copper will cause spout freeze.Gp

Is the Copper Sulfate in question, a blue crystalline type? I have been pouring thru posts on this, and saw one comment, somewhere, that copper sulfate pentahydrate (the blue crystals ) shouldn’t be added to molten mix as the pentahydrate means 5 molecules of water… which will do the water in lead pot thing. Amorphous Copper Sulfate is a power.
    What form of copper sulfate is being used here?
    Last edited by Krh1326; 07-28-2022 at 10:49 PM.

The only time I have used copper sulfate with lead is when I tried copper plating bullets. I gave it up as a lost cause.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Krh1326 View Post
    Is the Copper Sulfate in question, a blue crystalline type? I have been pouring thru posts on this, and saw one comment, somewhere, that copper sulfate pentahydrate (the blue crystals ) shouldn’t be added to molten mix as the pentahydrate means 5 molecules of water… which will do the water in lead pot thing. Amorphous Copper Sulfate is a power.
    What form of copper sulfate is being used here?
    Blue crystals - Zepp Root Kill. I place the crystals on top of the lead before I turn on the pot, so they are well dried before I start mixing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12