Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: An interesting thing happened at my annual qualification

Moderator Emeritus

An interesting thing happened at my annual qualification

My better-half and I have to qualification one time per year to keep our LEO's papers. For Christmas last year my wife allowed me to buy a new carry pistol so she took me to my dealer and I had been reading quite a few good things about the Ruger Max 9 so I filled out the paperwork and have enjoyed this new gun until May 20th. We were half way through the qualification and the trigger locked and could not be pulled. Tried to do the tap, rack and bang drill to no avail. I help up my hand up and the the range officer came over and even he could not get the trigger to be pulled.

I finished the qualification with a second pistol and all is good. When I got home I was able to clear the weapon and break it down and thoroughly clean it. Presto the trigger began to work. I called Ruger Customer Service and related the problem and told the lady about the malfunction at the range and that it was now acting normally, kind of like taking a car to the mechanic deal. She said I could send it back but suggested shooting it some more and see if the problem showed up again......well long story short I have not been able to get to the range so I typed out a long detailed letter and had my dealer send it back to Ruger.

Prior to sending the pistol back I was attempting to duplicate the problem with a empty pistol and I discovered that the toggle part of the pistol trigger would lock the pistol up if I did not pull the trigger absolutely square and front to back. I detailed that fact in the letter and are hoping that Ruger will be able to fix the problem as I really like the pistol...easy to hide; easy to carry; and shoots like a dream!

Have anyone of you had a similar problem with their Max 9?

I have been a Ruger fan for a very long time, sine 1973 and the few problems I have had over the years they took care of without any problem.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

good thing you discovered it when your life was not on the line.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I hope they get your pistol problem corrected. I have never had a problem with a Ruger.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

i would not trust it in the future as a CCW. but thats just me.

Boolit Buddy
    Very rare for a Ruger to have problems. But they will make it right when you send it back. Usually no charge, either.

Boolit Grand Master
    I wish that it was very rare for a Ruger to have a problem, but that has not been my experience. I bought 8 Rugers between 2010 and 2018, An LCP, a Vaquero, 2 Single 7's, a 308 American, a .327 SP101, a 44 GP 100, and a 44 Special Blackhawk. The American would not chamber a 308 round. I believe that it had never been finish-chambered. That one really gored my ox, because I had to re-register it and pay a second 35 dollar fee when they shipped me a new one rather than repair the old. The Vaquero was very inaccurate. Investigation showed it had grossly over-sized throats, so much so that you could put a sized case in either end. My 7 1/2 inch Single 7 would not accept a 327 cartridge, and the center pin wouldn't stay put. My second 5 1/2 inch Single 7 also would not accept a 327 case. That one I fixed my self, stoning the trough of the loading gate to deepen it enough to allow cases to chamber. The other four were acceptable out of the box, though I did put an M-Carbo trigger kit in it to help the SP101 find the bullseye more easily.

I will say that Ruger's customer service is second to none. All three guns I sent back were repaired correctly, and are fully functional. The Ruger American regularly shoots 3 shot 1"-1 1/4" groups, 5 shot groups averaging only slightly larger with a low power economy scope. The Single Seven 7 1/2 inch has shot several 1" 25 yard groups, the only ones I've managed since I turned 60, and the Vaquero still didn't shoot all that well despite the .452-.453 throats.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus

Prior to this the only problem I have had was a Mark III Hunter. It was after I took it apart and watched a non-Ruger video on how to assemble and disassemble one. They fixed it and told me to watch their videos on Mark III and everything has been hundie-dorie ever since. The only other problem was with a 1974 Ruger M-77 with their pot metal floor plate. They replaced it last year without cost. I can only sing their praises!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    i would not trust it in the future as a CCW. but thats just me.
    If you get other responses of issues, I would take that advice. If you got a freak bad one, then I would shoot 1000 rounds and give it another chance.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We can all "arm chair quarterback" what happened but please post what the issue was caused by if you can when Ruger fixes it. Thanks and glad you were able to finish your qualification.