MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Side charging AR upper ?

Side charging AR upper ?

Just curious ...
    Does anyone here have any experience with a "side charging " upper in the AR class of rifles .
    Been looking at Bear Creek Arsenal , with what they have to offer among some of their products .
    They have "side charging " uppers ... , bolt with lever on the side instead of the "T" handle bolt as has been standard on other rifles .
    link:
    https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Got a stripped upper side charger by mistake once, thought of building it up but never did. There are 2 types. One has a bolt screwed into the 'bolt' and moves with the carrier. The other is a rig that is a charging handle operated from the side and doesn't move.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    My buddy has one, if you are using a brass catcher, you can't get to the charging handle...he has the one that the handle threads into the bolt. I think he regrets getting one of them, it was fighting him on our prairie dog shoot.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Buddy
    I built one up years ago with a short 16" heavy barrel in .223 Wylde. Accuracy is great - comparable with a 24" heavy barrel for me. Reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to build another should the need arise.

Boolit Buddy
    BCA is bottom of the barrel buy at your own risk sort of thing.

If you are having issues gripping the regular charging handle you can look into getting an ambidextrous charging handle, they generally have larger wings making it easier to grip.

IIRC Stoner originally had a side charger but Gov changed it. A disadvantage to the side charger is it's difficult to pogo.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I like my side charger from bear creek. I splurged for one of there premium barrels with spiral fluting (223 wylde) I get 1.3 moa at 100 with winchester fmj. This is with a 5lb trigger.

I like the side charging because its the same position as many other auto rifles; aka marlin model 60, camp 9, ruger 10/22, ect. That and the price was right. No issues with mine. It runs well with Lancer mags.

Boolit Master

That's what I have on my 22 Nosler. It's not been any problem.

I have some BCA side charging uppers and have had good luck with them. My brass catcher does limit access to the charge handle but not a huge deal. (I do not want to lose any 12.7 x 42's) With a scoped unit I prefer the side charge as compared to a rear T-charge handle. The first BAC I ordered I will admit I had low expectations and was greatly surprised by the fit and finish and performance. The complete upper was less than a T/C Contender barrel. I have a BCA 20" 350L that shoots as well as a Rem M Seven Predator JES re-bored for me using my reamer designed for 0.359" bullets. The bolt action 350 L does shoot cast better but jacketed is pretty similar.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    [QUOTE=Multra;5425454]BCA is bottom of the barrel buy at your own risk sort of thing.

Please back up that statement.

My brother and I have BCA side charging uppers and after having built probably a dozen or so over the years, I think they are as good as any other average priced upper out there. I just can't see spending 3X the money just for bragging rights. I use LRB and Anderson lowers that I bought for an average of $40.00 or so and can see absolutely NO difference between them and the crazy over priced RRA or Spikes or whatever brand that is out there for some ridiculous price. Obviously, if you want something more than a basic AR then a person can expect to pay for that, but for a basic AR, paying $1000 or so is just plain NUTS!
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=roysha;5425838]
    Quote Originally Posted by Multra View Post

My brother and I have BCA side charging uppers and after having built probably a dozen or so over the years, I think they are as good as any other average priced upper out there. I just can't see spending 3X the money just for bragging rights. I use LRB and Anderson lowers that I bought for an average of $40.00 or so and can see absolutely NO difference between them and the crazy over priced RRA or Spikes or whatever brand that is out there for some ridiculous price. Obviously, if you want something more than a basic AR then a person can expect to pay for that, but for a basic AR, paying $1000 or so is just plain NUTS!
    ^this….I’ve got three and all perform just fine. No side chargers but interested in what folk are experiencing. BCA starting to expand their AR10 uppers too. Would love to see a 358 Winchester, 708, 338 Federal. Oh my.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A95D438-1CA1-4F1E-9926-61EB06D2DB8A.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	301812Attachment 301811
    I know it’s apples and oranges but I tried to have one built years ago on a Olympic arms 45acp/greasegun lower pcc that was also going to sbr it but the class 3 gunshop decided they couldn’t do the work after keeping my gun for months. I sbr’ed it myself and built my own forward charger using the gas tube holes to operate my blowback action.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=roysha;5425838]
    Quote Originally Posted by Multra View Post

https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/commen...issues_thread/
    https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/ice...#axzz7Y7ofyhun
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bear...bih=1297&dpr=1

Plenty of examples of them sending things out that seem to have zero quality control. How do you manage to send out a barrel with no rifling or gas port drilled? Or the wrong caliber stamped on a barrel? Spend the extra 5% and at least go with PSA.

Boolit Grand Master

I built one but decided that I did NOT like the charging handle moving back and forth on it and it stuck out snagging on things. Sold it and went back to the "normal" AR uppers.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    [QUOTE=Multra;5425902]
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post

https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/commen...issues_thread/
    https://www.ammoland.com/2019/02/ice...#axzz7Y7ofyhun
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bear...bih=1297&dpr=1

Plenty of examples of them sending things out that seem to have zero quality control. How do you manage to send out a barrel with no rifling or gas port drilled? Or the wrong caliber stamped on a barrel? Spend the extra 5% and at least go with PSA.
    Starting with that one, one of the first topics is an AR-!5 7.62, seriously, a 7.62 AR-15? Also using steel cased crap ammo that can even make an AK gag! Stupid is as stupid does.

I'm not even going to look at the rest because they will more than likely be equally inane and mindless.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Bub
    I got my first side charger from bear creek. I liked it so much I have built four more but I just use a slick side upper and copy the slot to the rear of the ejection port and drill and tap the carrier for the handle. I use 1/4x28 allen bolt for handle. With this set up I have the charging handle and side charger.

Boolit Buddy
    My suggestion would be to get a stripped 'non reciprocating side charge upper' from either Gibbz or Joe Bob's (same upper with different logo) and try it out. I find in a PCC that they are much more user friendly than a traditional upper. My PCC's have no gas system (rdb) and run with no issues... Cost is minimal and they use a standard bcg.

Boolit Master
    My experience with them was on NRA Match rifle "space guns" we used the ones with a modified bolt carrier and slotted upper. The point was for two things
    One handed operation of the bolt closing for slow prone, you could leave the rifle in your shoulder, and two using stocks with adjustable cheekpieces such as WOA buttstocks to get your line of sight up to the match type rear sights.

For a target gun or DMR type application Im sure they're fine, but in combat/serious duty, id pass on them. THe bolt handles were a simple 1/4x28 bolt with an aluminum sleeve we made, the bolts often broke or came out and you can't locktite them in or your cant take apart the gun to clean. I carried one or two extra handles in my kit.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125