Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyBonettRotoMetals2

View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Leveraction Cartridge Listed In Winchester's 1895 Catalog

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • 44 Henry, Model 1866

    1 1.37%
  • 44 WCF, Black Powder, 1873 and 1892

    2 2.74%
  • 44 WCF, Smokeless, 1873' and 1892'

    7 9.59%
  • 38 WCF, Black Powder 1873 and 1892

    1 1.37%
  • 38 WCF, Smokeless , 1873 and 1892

    3 4.11%
  • 32 WCF, Black Powder 1873 and 1892

    1 1.37%
  • 32 WCF, Smokeless 1873 and 1892

    5 6.85%
  • 25-20 WCF, Black Powder, Model 1892

    0 0%
  • 25-20 WCF, Smokeless, Model 1892

    3 4.11%
  • 25-35, Model 1894

    3 4.11%
  • 30 WCF, Model 1894 (30-30)

    22 30.14%
  • 32-40, Model 1894

    1 1.37%
  • 38-55, Model 1894

    7 9.59%
  • 50-100-450, Model 1886

    2 2.74%
  • 50-110-300, Model 1886

    1 1.37%
  • 45-90-300, Black Powder, Model 1886

    2 2.74%
  • 45-90-300, Smokeless, Model 1886

    2 2.74%
  • 45-85-350, Smokeless, Model 1886

    0 0%
  • 45-82-405, Smokeless, Model 1886

    0 0%
  • 45-85-300, Smokeless, Model 1886

    0 0%
  • 45-90-295, Smokeless, Model 1886

    0 0%
  • 40-82-260, Black Powder, Model 1886

    0 0%
  • 40-70-330, Black Powder, Model 1886

    0 0%
  • 45-70-500, Black Powder, Model 1886

    0 0%
  • 45-70-405, Black Powder, Model 1886

    1 1.37%
  • 45-70-405, Smokeless, Model 1886

    9 12.33%
  • 40-65-260, Model 1886

    0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Is Your Favorite Leveraction Cartridge Listed In Winchester's 1895 Catalog?

  1. #21
    Boolit Master


    Walks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,871
    .38-55
    Had a model 94 for 30+yrs, Sweet rifle, sweet cartridge.
    I HATE auto-correct

    Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

    My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

    SASS #375 Life

  2. #22
    Boolit Buddy Pereira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    "central" West TN
    Posts
    207
    I do also like the 25-20, have one in a 1892.

    RP

    Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

    If you don't have a C&R FFL, you really need to consider getting one------it's a license to spend money, though.
    Quote by a member of another forum.

  3. #23
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    I am not sure, was hoping some of that stuff would get discussed. The cartridge is listed but not for the 1886...hmmmmm I may have goofed on a few others too.

    I think I missed the 38-70-255, 38-56-255 for the Model 1886...and I may have added a few that shouldn't be there

    Attachment 301783
    Attachment 301784

    The 45-75 is listed on page 83 and I completetly forgot about the Model 76, although it is not listed.....DUH!!!
    some interesting stuff from my catalog

    The 1886 was advertised only in the "new" 33winchester and 45/70
    1873 was still listed

    prices for a 24 inch octagonal barrel rifle
    1892................$25
    1973................$28
    1876 (45/70) ...$32

    ammo
    44Winchester (our 44/40) 200grain lead over 38 grains blackpowder
    44Colt............................217gr 40 gr
    44/40 marlin ..................217gr 40gr
    44 Game Getter ..............115gr 34 gr (looks like a round ball load)
    all listed for winchester rifles

    Blackpowder loads as above all $33.25 per 1000
    Smokeless (jacketed SP) $42
    44 model 92 special W.H.V. $47.25

    some serious inflation from 1895
    your price for 40-65-260 .......$33 per 1000
    my price for 40-65-260 .......$62.75 per 1000

    what price your book for a 24" rifle?

  4. #24
    Boolit Master Savvy Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    some interesting stuff from my catalog

    The 1886 was advertised only in the "new" 33winchester and 45/70
    1873 was still listed

    prices for a 24 inch octagonal barrel rifle
    1892................$25
    1973................$28
    1876 (45/70) ...$32

    ammo
    44Winchester (our 44/40) 200grain lead over 38 grains blackpowder
    44Colt............................217gr 40 gr
    44/40 marlin ..................217gr 40gr
    44 Game Getter ..............115gr 34 gr (looks like a round ball load)
    all listed for winchester rifles

    Blackpowder loads as above all $33.25 per 1000
    Smokeless (jacketed SP) $42
    44 model 92 special W.H.V. $47.25

    some serious inflation from 1895
    your price for 40-65-260 .......$33 per 1000
    my price for 40-65-260 .......$62.75 per 1000

    what price your book for a 24" rifle?
    I have the August 1895 catalog
    prices for a 24 inch octagonal barrel rifle
    1892................$19.50
    1973................$18
    1886 26"..........$21

  5. #25
    Boolit Buddy

    Noah Zark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    140
    38-55 for the Win. (sorry!)

    Noah

  6. #26
    Boolit Grand Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    7,356
    Mine is not listed.
    Don Verna


  7. #27
    Boolit Master Shawlerbrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Central NY
    Posts
    2,252
    Of the ones listed the 25 35 is my favorite.

  8. #28
    Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boonesborough, KY
    Posts
    5,586
    .30 WCF all the way, got two Marlins and two Winchesters. I do want to get into .38-55 someday though.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

  9. #29
    Boolit Master smkummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So. Indiana
    Posts
    1,738
    Yep, the practical side of me voted 30 WCF. It was close choice also for 32-20 as it was so popular then and advertised as a deer cartridge as well. Back then, there was a reduced load for 30-30 using what appears as 32-20 bullets in either 100-117 grain. That reduced load would kill a lot of stuff around the farm/ranch. I smile at that as that is exactly what I am doing today!

  10. #30
    Boolit Master
    Eddie Southgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Are you able to view the list in the poll?
    Some it seems do not read a post before they start responding. Of the above listed I would pick the .38 WCF in the "92 , the .38-55 in the "94 and the .50-110-450 in the "86 . I think that would give the most well rounded batterie of rifles for what I would use them for. If I could absolutely only have one it would be an "86 in .45-90-300 Smokeless to split the difference since I think it would be easier to down load than the big .50 and I would not want that much power all the time. Were I alive in that period I would have moved to Alaska or the PNW area ahead of the libtards that have moved that way since so the smaller stuff would be marginal for a lot of the available hunting in those areas.
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 07-06-2022 at 12:14 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

  11. #31
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    291
    Viewed the list associated with the poll. My favorite lever gun cartridge is not on the list. Indian Joe's preference for the 45-75 WCF is my favorite also. Winchester produced this Model until 1898.
    Sitting Bull's 1876 sold at a Cowan Auction last month for 132,000.00 + auction fees. The rifle was in his cabin in 1890 when Tribal Police showed up to arrest him. He was shot and killed as a result of the attempted arrest.
    Rick
    PS The rifle was chambered in 45-75 WCF
    Last edited by Rick B; 07-06-2022 at 05:12 PM.

  12. #32
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    681
    My great uncle was born in 1895 and my grandfather in 1902. They grew up shooting these guns throughout their youth and early adulthood. They both lived long lives and I was fortunate to have known both of them.

    My grandfather's first rifle was an 1873 Winchester in 44-40 - I think his grandfather traded a box of horseshoes for that rifle. When he could afford something else, he bought an 1894 in 32-40 and used it until he was in his late 50's.

    My great uncle always liked the 38-55 cartridge and had several rifles over his lifetime chambered for same. He had a couple of target guns, a drilling, and a couple of 1894 rifles.

    I've always liked the 44-40 cartridge and probably would have picked a '92 in that caliber.

  13. #33
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Some it seems do not read a post before they start responding. Of the above listed I would pick the .38 WCF in the "92 , the .38-55 in the "94 and the .50-110-450 in the "86 . I think that would give the most well rounded batterie of rifles for what I would use them for. If I could absolutely only have one it would be an "86 in .45-90-300 Smokeless to split the difference since I think it would be easier to down load than the big .50 and I would not want that much power all the time. Were I alive in that period I would have moved to Alaska or the PNW area ahead of the libtards that have moved that way since so the smaller stuff would be marginal for a lot of the available hunting in those areas.
    I read it - absorbed it - understood it even - but then - i got a bit of an obstreperous streak in me -- how come my favourite cartridge aint on that list ? question was "what is your favourite leveraction cartridge listed in Winchester's 1895 catalog" were it not ???? I couldnt imagine they would not have listed the 45/75 - turns out they did -- none of which is a problem we sposed to be here to have fun not terrorise each other over technicalities.

    If the question hadda been "what is your favourite leveraction cartridge from on this list ?" I woulda had no argue at all (there been plenty of lists like that)
    Last edited by indian joe; 07-08-2022 at 04:15 AM.

  14. #34
    Boolit Master Savvy Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I read it - absorbed it - understood it even - but then - i got a bit of an obstreperous streak in me -- how come my favourite cartridge aint on that list ? question was "what is your favourite leveraction cartridge listed in Winchester's 1895 catalog" were it not ???? I couldnt imagine they would not have listed the 45/75 - turns out they did -- none of which is a problem we sposed to be here to have fun not terrorise each other over technicalities.

    If the question hadda been "what is your favourite leveraction cartridge from on this list ?" I woulda had no argue at all (there been plenty of lists like that)
    What I would like to know is why is the Winchester Model 76 not even mentioned in the August 1885 catalog.

  15. #35
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    291
    Winchester produced no 1876's in 1895. The last ten years or so they manufactured less than 400 cleanup rifles total. 4 of those ten years they produced no 1876's at all. Once the modern designed 1886 arrived it was all over for the Model 1876. However both Winchester and UMC made ammo for the 45-75 until the early Depression years. I have both Models and prefer to load and shoot the
    Model 1876 in 45-75 WCF.
    Rick

  16. #36
    Boolit Master Savvy Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Winchester produced no 1876's in 1895. The last ten years or so they manufactured less than 400 cleanup rifles total. 4 of those ten years they produced no 1876's at all. Once the modern designed 1886 arrived it was all over for the Model 1876. However both Winchester and UMC made ammo for the 45-75 until the early Depression years. I have both Models and prefer to load and shoot the
    Model 1876 in 45-75 WCF.
    Rick
    Thanks Rick!

  17. #37
    Boolit Master Savvy Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    1,143
    Found it hiding in plain view on page 83
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	292610544_452294182995689_1614685360908226832_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	301900

  18. #38
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Winchester produced no 1876's in 1895. The last ten years or so they manufactured less than 400 cleanup rifles total. 4 of those ten years they produced no 1876's at all. Once the modern designed 1886 arrived it was all over for the Model 1876. However both Winchester and UMC made ammo for the 45-75 until the early Depression years. I have both Models and prefer to load and shoot the
    Model 1876 in 45-75 WCF.
    Rick
    Rick
    I have both models also and likewise prefer the 76 ---maybe down the track a bit that will change (I doubt it) what is most likely is it will get shortened some - back to the same length as the 86? - I am a 48 vintage and 5'8" not getting myself enough excercise - that 76 is heavy to shoot offhand has a lot of weight out in the front with a full magazine where the 86 is more balanced in both hands (they are almost identical weight empty).

  19. #39
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Found it hiding in plain view on page 83
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	292610544_452294182995689_1614685360908226832_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	301900
    Bryan is that catalog an original? its in seriously good order if so!

  20. #40
    Boolit Master



    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tropical southern vermont
    Posts
    2,853
    Let us not forget the 1876 was also produced in 50-95 Express. Doesn't look like that one is there either
    Being human is not for sissies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check