RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Load Data

Thread: New Ruger American Ranch .556

New Ruger American Ranch .556

Been wanting one for awhile now. Can't wait to get it out. I have an Arsenal 61gr PC only mold on load I will try to cast with over the holiday weekend. Anyone else shooting one?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I’ve got early model, with the flush 5 rd plastic magazine. With the 1-8 twist, I load 60 gr V-Max bullets. It’s my walking varminter.

Boolit Master
    Tried to find one last year, no luck. Got a Savage Axis in 223 instead. It doesn't have an AR mag, but a 223 rifle is a lotta fun!

Boolit Master

I have the American standard model, but have been wanting a Ranch Rifle for a while now. I load 62 gr. Speer Gold Dots with BLC-2, great combo. The 1-8 twist prevents me from trying any type of cast bullet in this rifle. That's OK, 62 gr. FMJ are cheap and plentiful!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    I have the American standard model, but have been wanting a Ranch Rifle for a while now. I load 62 gr. Speer Gold Dots with BLC-2, great combo. The 1-8 twist prevents me from trying any type of cast bullet in this rifle. That's OK, 62 gr. FMJ are cheap and plentiful!
    Why would the 1-8 twist keep you from trying cast?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I love mine! Takes AR mags and I added the excellent Nodak Spud military style sights to it. I mostly feed it cheap steel case rounds with Sierra Game King substitute bullets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger American Ranch.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	301815
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I bought one just before the pandemic hit - Ranch in 5.56 with the AR style mag. A good little rifle. I got busy with other projects but hope to be able to play with it and get loads worked out once I get back to AZ for the winter. I did pick up 1K of 55 gr FMJ bullets (Bobs Bullets) before things got short but plan to play with the Lee 55 grain cast before anything. I had the LGS where I bought mine scope it for me as my old eyes aren't that good anymore. A young guy I sometimes shoot with in AZ let me shoot his AR and as a result, I fell in love with the .223 cartridge and the Ruger Ranch bolt gun will be just the huckleberry for it. Good luck with your new rifle and I hope you'll post your experiences with it. Have fun!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Why would the 1-8 twist keep you from trying cast?
    Because I would be limited to a velocity of 1300-1400 fps in order to stay under the RPM threshold, 120,000-140,000 RPM. At 1400 fps you're upwards of 120,000 RPM, bullets tend to become unstable when you exceed the threshold. I could shoot them at 1250-1300 fps but I don't need another 22 RF.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I need to bring the chrony out next time but I was out shooting the 61gr "Elvis" bullet yesterday sized to .225" and loaded over 13gr of SR4759. Not a tack driver load but I was able to hit pop cans and clays offhand at 65 yards and that's what I'll be doing with this rifle most of all. Plinking. These are probably over 2000fps.
    I shoot a 165gr .30 cal cast bullet @ 2600fps in .308 out to 500 yards holding right around 2 MOA. The rifle is a REM 700 with a 1:10 twist. What RPM is that?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I love boolits, but honestly I'm quite satisfied with jacketed in the .223. if I ever got the itch to go without condoms in this one, I would probably try to duplicate .22 Hornet or .218 Bee performance
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I need to bring the chrony out next time but I was out shooting the 61gr "Elvis" bullet yesterday sized to .225" and loaded over 13gr of SR4759. Not a tack driver load but I was able to hit pop cans and clays offhand at 65 yards and that's what I'll be doing with this rifle most of all. Plinking. These are probably over 2000fps.
    I shoot a 165gr .30 cal cast bullet @ 2600fps in .308 out to 500 yards holding right around 2 MOA. The rifle is a REM 700 with a 1:10 twist. What RPM is that?
    Bullet RPM = MV X 720/Twist Rate (in inches)

2600 x 720 /10 = 187,200 RPM

If you're really getting 2600 fps out of that 10" twist barrel, you're doing REALLY GOOD! Most times, a 10" twist poops out at around 2000 fps, or less.

unknown

I was using two loads. A pretty full case of IMR4831 and H414.

This one has been on my list for some time. If they ever outlaw Semi Autos in CA this would be my first choice for a .223/5.56 cal Rifle. Magpul AR style P Mags are the magazine of choice. 10,20,30 rounds and then there's that 50 round Drum Mag they make. These guns are light and easy to carry and will be pretty reliable so in a SHTF situation they could be a great option. You can, with a little practice, get to the point where you are delivering 1 aimed shot every 2-3 seconds which is more than enough to fight with.

I'd probably mount a small Red Dot Sight (TRS -25) on it and be done with it or maybe a 1-4 or light weight 2-7 scope. I'd want the gun to remain light as it could be.

It is pretty hard to make a Bolt Action Rifle Malfunction. All Semi Autos do it and you have to learn how to correct it or you can get stuck in a bad situation with a gun that doesn't work..

I like em'.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Yep. I put a little 2x7 Burris on it. It stays on 2x for the most part.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Because I would be limited to a velocity of 1300-1400 fps in order to stay under the RPM threshold, 120,000-140,000 RPM. At 1400 fps you're upwards of 120,000 RPM, bullets tend to become unstable when you exceed the threshold. I could shoot them at 1250-1300 fps but I don't need another 22 RF.
    If you use an alloy like Lyman #2 or harder and a gas check you can easily go to 140,000, which is 1555 fps. I use Lyman #2 and a gas check in my CZ-527 (223 Rem) and groups start to deteriorate just past 140,000.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Need a heavier boolit if you want accuracy somewhere at 2000fps or above. The MP Nato 75 grainer works for me in a 1/8 twist Savage. Arsenal has the Elvis series of molds and they seem to be working for folks too.

Boolit Master
    The twist is what necessitates a heavier boolit that allows a long bearing surface and more material to hold itself together.

Boolit Mold
    75 grain ELDM work very well in mine.

Boolit Master
    A 50-55gr bullet won’t be upset by 1/8” rifling at 2,000fps.
    7.2gr of Unique under a 50 or 55gr bullet shoots POA/POI @50yds from my various .223’s/5.56.
    Works great as a pest load, even close range deer cropping.