Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Remington Rolling Block Rifle

Remington Rolling Block Rifle

This rifle is a Remington model 1-1/2 originally chambered for .22 rimfire through .44-40 centerfire, with a build date approximately at the end of the 19th century. The 26" octagon-to-round (not a full octagon barrel) has a fairly good bore, the fore stock had been cut/shortened, and the barrel and action recut and rechambered for the ubiquitous .45-70 Government cartridge that's considerably more potent than any .44-40 pistol cartridge.

THIS IS A BLACK POWDER GUN ONLY!

I built 20 cartridges to proof this gun using annealed Starline brass, Federal 210 primers, 65 grains of Swiss 2f black powder with light compression, a .060" LDPE wad over the powder and a Lee 357-340 348 grain bullet cast at 1:20 alloy (tin:lead) that was lubed with home made "Gato Feo #1" bullet lube (a blend of beeswax, mutton tallow and canning wax that appears to have been a 19th century recipe). Proofed just fine last August, it has been shoot on two different occasions since then with good results each time.

The original trigger pull was a hefty 12lbs and after the proofing I shipped the gun to gunsmith extraordinaire Lee Shaver for a checkup and "trigger job" and Lee did not disappoint, the trigger is down to a nice 3lbs. She sure shows her 100+ year old age, metal patina, walnut stock cut mod and dings, but she works well and shoots straight, with a good bore, and ladder rear rear sight. Ships in a soft case along with a cleaning rod I made.

$250 + shipping to your FFL direct from me, payment via check or MO.

The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Master
    I’ll buy it. PM coming.

I know it is likely a moot point, but if the deal falls through, I would like to stand in line with my "I'll take it".

SPF to HWooldridge
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

5. 07-02-2022, 11:51 AM
    Reason
    Discussion