Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: What is the smallest acceptable total capacity acceptable for a concealed carry gun?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll

8 2.94%

150 55.15%

45 16.54%

12 4.41%

17 6.25%

4 1.47%
  • 10-12

19 6.99%
  • 13-15

6 2.21%
  • 16-18

6 2.21%
  • 19+

5 1.84%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How Many Shots Is Enough for Concealed Carry?

Boolit Master

I guess 5 when carrying my S&W Airweight....10 when wearing the Glock 48...and 12 when I have the Sig P365XL.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Five it is.
    As everyone knows a .41 Colt is a man stopper so a .41 Magnum five shot must be enough.
    Besides, it's easy to hit with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Five it is.
    As everyone knows a .41 Colt is a man stopper
    Someone must’ve forgotten to send me the memo.

Boolit Master

I said 5. Ain't kicking doors no more. Said 5 but DC is either a model 65, G19 or a 1911. If passing shady area and might get delaid, an extra reload or 2 or a NY J frame.

One?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    ...any gun is better than no gun....

I have talked with several internationally known trainers most of whom carry a primary, backup and 1-3 extra mags for each...and sometimes 1-3 knives...REALLY....

Want to see reality...check out the robbery and gun fight videos on YouTube and LiveLeak...(Active Self Protection has tons of them from all over the world)..that's reality. When you watch a video ask yourself if you could have survived with your current carry system.

Everyone concentrates on the Hardware aspect of self protection. The Software, mindset, tactics, training, awareness, are what's going to keep you out of the gunfight in the first place and help you prevail if you do get that far...

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    One?

Show us more... Looks like a right proper truck gun to me.
    Deplorable infidel

It requires a real big pocket or a shirt tail to conceal it. The belt clip comes in handy, though.

It requires a real big pocket or a shirt tail to conceal it. The belt clip comes in handy, though.

Yah, a bit much to conceal. But, an excellent truck gun. I love it. Very nice!
    Last edited by fastdadio; 07-16-2022 at 05:32 PM.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master

I love it! Wish the current crop of CCW pistols was half as pretty.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    ...any gun is better than no gun....

I have talked with several internationally known trainers most of whom carry a primary, backup and 1-3 extra mags for each...and sometimes 1-3 knives...REALLY....

Want to see reality...check out the robbery and gun fight videos on YouTube and LiveLeak...(Active Self Protection has tons of them from all over the world)..that's reality. When you watch a video ask yourself if you could have survived with your current carry system.

Everyone concentrates on the Hardware aspect of self protection. The Software, mindset, tactics, training, awareness, are what's going to keep you out of the gunfight in the first place and help you prevail if you do get that far...

Bob
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For civilian SD, there’s < 2% chance you’ll need more than 5.

Boolit Bub
    I find myself more and more looking at trying to have a minimum of 15 on hand. If you would have asked me this 15 years ago I would say 5 is plenty. But with the current world I would rather be ready for anything just about then fall short.

It depends on who the carrier has to defend themselves against.
    In Eastern Europe it is not unheard of for teams of up to 4 assassins armed with semi-auto handguns to lay in wait for their victim. The best defense in that case is a 15+ round double-stack semi-auto.
    In the US most defensive shooters fire 1-2 rounds before the assailant flees or is incapacitated.
    Police begs to differ and dumps whole mags, as we can see from the recent videos. But they are professionals and we are unwashed masses, so we are not allowed to judge them.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    In Eastern Europe it is not unheard of for teams of up to 4 assassins armed with semi-auto handguns to lay in wait for their victim. The best defense in that case is a 15+ round double-stack semi-auto..
    In that neighborhood--
    The conditions and the greatly reduced gene pool left after WWII has produced some really tough characters.
    There probably is very little chance of surviving something like that, no matter what you have on hand.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-17-2022 at 10:14 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    There probably is very little chance of surviving something like that, no matter what you have on hand.
    True. Just trying to quantify the threat level in terms of rounds.
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

After the Indiana mall shooting, 10+ seems reasonable!

Boolit Master

I voted 6 because I lean toward revolvers or 1911's with only 7 round mags.
    John
    W.TN

Practice, practice, practice. Shot placement always beats fast noise. My first shot, is always what counts. have no idea which movie you watched that ever gave you the idea that the number of rounds expended has anything to do with anything at all, except getting yourself shot.
    I try to never miss with the first shot, and every shot on the next target is the first shot.
    If you practice you learn to squeeze the trigger quickly.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

There is also the fatalistic way of looking at this.

Even if you have an infinite supply of ammunition, you only have one barrel to dispense it from, and you do not have an infinite amount of time to dispense it in. Give Wild Bill Hickok a Glock 17 with the 33 round Extend-O-Mag, and he'll still get outflanked and destroyed before he runs dry, assuming a sufficient supply of motivated "zombies".

In that context, the 8-10 rounds of the typical WWI-era autoloader isn't a bad place to apply the word "minimum". With that, you can either solve what's immediately in front of you with a round or two left in the mag, or be dead in your tracks. . .with a round or two left in the mag.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Look, its the same situation for any thoughtful person who keeps some spare batteries for his flashlight or never waits til the tank is empty to fill up. We also keep some sort of reserve handy. My carry gun has a full magazine and a spare handy. When with a revolver all cylinders full and a speed loader strip. If I were to think "Today, I'm heading for the OK Corral". Well, then, I would just stay home.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast