Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners

View Poll Results: What is the smallest acceptable total capacity acceptable for a concealed carry gun?

Voters
272. You may not vote on this poll

8 2.94%

150 55.15%

45 16.54%

12 4.41%

17 6.25%

4 1.47%
  • 10-12

19 6.99%
  • 13-15

6 2.21%
  • 16-18

6 2.21%
  • 19+

5 1.84%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How Many Shots Is Enough for Concealed Carry?

Boolit Master

I voted 8 because that’s what my Kimber 45 holds BUT I carry a Bond arms derringer in 410 loaded with Hornady critical defense (a 41 FTX with three shotgun balls behind it) which would give me time to get to my “real” gun….

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    My plain old Springfield XD-m carries 20, 19+1 and carries like a 1911. One or two is better than none, the little 2-shot break open derringers are better than a bare hand. We carry 5 around the farm j-frame, bulldog .44 or Taurus 45 Colt(NOT a Judge). Carry an 7+1 shot Shield in town 2 spare 8-shot mags for balance. All those extra bullets, 15 45's in my Para 1911, 20 9mm's in the XD-m add weight, everyday all day long on foot, they get heavy, horseback or vehicle, they are fine. More bullets is better, but you do have to carry them when fixing fence, digging post holes, whatever. Mossberg pumps live in the trucks, usually a rifle, .223, .243, 30-30. Sheriff/law enforcement normally 20 minutes to an hour so...

I never talked to anybody that had been in a gun fight that wished they had less rounds! 8 for me.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

A friend of mine is a high level mixed martial arts competitor. Two guys tried to rob him and his girlfriend. One had a revolver and the other had a knife. The one with the gun ended up with a broken knee and the one with the knife ended up with a broken arm. My friend was unarmed except for his mixed martial arts skills so in his case zero was the right number of rounds.

On the other end of the spectrum another friend was in Africa lion hunting. His guide was taking him back to the airport when they were attacked a rest stop by 4 armed robbers. The two that were attempting to rob them were killed by the guide at close range. There was another one at about 30 meters that got hit solid enough to take him out of the fight. The 4th was 56 meters away behind their getaway vehicle. The last one was the driver of the getaway car 56 meters away. He opted to get out and start shooting. He was rewarded with a bullet in the brain. The guide was resting his last shot on his own vehicle, but he only fired one shot at the 56-yard shooter.

The police had a real hard time believing the last shot. They thought the guide walked up to him and shot him in the head. However, all the witnesses confirmed it went down as claimed. The guide had a tricked out 1911. He made his last shot out of the second mag. The yardage or meterage was actual police measured distances. Total round count for the guide to take out 4-armed robbers shooting at him was 10 or 11 shots. Only one of the two close range armed robber managed to get a shot off.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 07-03-2022 at 07:29 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    At age 74 I'm not going hands-on with any dirt bags and my normal routine is to avoid places where stupid people congregate to do stupid things. Like Wayne Smith my warm weather EDC is a .38 Special Colt Agent with Parkerized finish, 2-inch barrel, service stocks and Tyler T-grip, which weighs a pound. In warm weather it is loaded with six rounds of Winchester 110-grain Silvertip non +P. In fall and winter I carry full charge wadcutter in the gun. At all times I carry a reload with Tuff Strip or HKS 10-A speedloader of seasonal carry ammo. In cooler weather when wearing a coat EDC is a steel-frame 3" Colt Detective Special loaded with 130- grain Winchester Ranger RA38B bonded core HP as primary and the Agent with full charge wadcutter is carried as "New York Reload."

I do not like the 5-shot S&W J-frames because they don't fit my hand and I don't shoot them well enough. My 6-shot Colt D-frames can share speed loaders with the spare 4-inch or 6-inch S&W k-frames commonly carried with lead Winchester X38SPD or Remington R38S12 FBI load in my travel bag or Get Home ruck. Spare ammo in ruck is 100 rounds of full charge wadcutter and ten Speer No.9 shot, which can be used in any of the several wheelguns carried on the road.

"Six For Sure" is how I was taught.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-04-2022 at 02:05 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I'm surprised at the number of people that picked the same number I did. Chief's 38sp with 5 140gr WC's. If you need more, imho, you have gotten yourself into something you should have avoided at all costs.

Obviously, when the ferals are looting and burning en masse, the casual convenience of the little J-frame or PPK ceases to be the most desirable attribute.

Why are you in a place where looting, burning and rioting are taking place? If your home or place of business is located there and that is going on I don't think a handgun is what you would be holding if you have any sense.

I would also care to hear the 19+ vote. You carrying a machine gun concealed? I think he/she must be referencing spare mags.
    Nope, not a machine gun (and I voted for 5 with a j frame centennial, btw), HOWEVER, for those that voted for 19....the Springfield XDM9 holds 19+1. So for those who carry one of those, if you add two back up mags...that's 58 rounds at your disposal on your belt. Its an impressively potent package. I've just found for practical concealed carry...I go smaller.

Boolit Master
    With that Springfield XDm with 19+1, I have a couple 32 round mags that work, but all that ammo does get heavy carrying it on person. I have a couple 20 rounders for my P14-45 1911's, again carry ammo gets heavy. I really don't go anywhere that SHOULD be dangerous, usually home before dark, so the smaller lighter pistols, Shield 9mm, XDs 45, Bulldog 44 usually get carried, with two reloads.

I voted 4 because 2 was not an option, and I often do carry a 9mm Derringer. I'm comfortable with the Derringer because my perceived threat level is very low where I live. My town has next to zero crime and there is no gang activity for 40 miles in any direction.
    My carry pistols are listed in order of size only with no consideration to power or capacity;
    9mm Derringer, Ruger Lc9 7+1, Ruger 3" Speed Six 357, S&W m915, 9mm, 15+1, Colt Combat Commander, 45acp 7+1.
    Pops said to me years ago, that the weather/occasion dictates dress, dress dictates level of concealment. Type of dress may have to be modified depending on perceived threat level.
    I will admit, as much as I love my 1911, the S&W has pretty much bumped it out of rotation simply because it's similar in size but weighs less and carries moar ammoes.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I was going to say something but decided against it.
    No sense in getting people upset.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I was going to say something but decided against it.
    No sense in getting people upset.
    Well now I'm curious!
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I didn’t vote because 2 is what I would have voted as the minimum. I have a Bond Arms roughneck in 45 ACP and even though I don’t carry it or any other handgun I feel it would be enough to stop 99 % of any threat I might encounter while out somewhere away from home.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by auto5man View Post
    Nope, not a machine gun (and I voted for 5 with a j frame centennial, btw), HOWEVER, for those that voted for 19....the Springfield XDM9 holds 19+1. So for those who carry one of those, if you add two back up mags...that's 58 rounds at your disposal on your belt. Its an impressively potent package. I've just found for practical concealed carry...I go smaller.
    Of course, i wasnt thinking of that.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

The latest XDM elite in 9mm holds 21+1, and if you are generously sized, you could conceal and carry it.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Five.
    And yeah, I need to practice more.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Five.
    And yeah, I need to practice more.
    Me too! The shortages mean that I haven't been practicing with my J-frames at all for over a year, and when I got them out for a July 4th splurge things were pretty ugly with the 357...

Makes me feel like I should carry the 22LR until I can practice more.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master

350 - 400 rounds .... I want to give them the whole 9 yards .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Depends. 32 Kel-Tec 8 in gun 7 in spare mag, 642 S&W 5 in gun 6 in Bianchi strip,
    Glock 26 11 in gun, 17 in G17 magazine.

I do not ever carry an auto without a spare mag, I do what I am trained to do.

Boolit Buddy

5. Some carry a j frame or similar 5 shot snubby. I would want more but a 5 shot .38 readily available beats a fully loaded G17 at home. Hope those that carry those little revolvers carry at least 1 reload.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Divil View Post
    5. Some carry a j frame or similar 5 shot snubby. I would want more but a 5 shot .38 readily available beats a fully loaded G17 at home. Hope those that carry those little revolvers carry at least 1 reload.
    I usually do, but realistically, you're not going to ever have a chance to reload a j frame in a situation like this. That sort of fantasy only happens in the movies (aka, Billy Rosewood in Beverly Hills Cop).

Boolit Master
    As a frequent carrier of a small revolver I also carry an additional reload in either a speed strip or speed loader.

I seriously doubt I’ll ever need to reload it in the middle of a fire fight. I do seriously think I’d want to top-off immediately after a fire fight.

I can’t imagine being comfortable with a nearly empty gun waiting for the cops to arrive. I can’t imagine thinking “ Ok the shooting has stopped so I won’t be needing a loaded gun now. I’ll just stroll around and admire the scenery while waiting for the cops to come over”.

No I’m pretty sure I’d REALLY want to stay well armed. But I hope I’m never in that situation!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast