Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Blue Dot and the 480 Ruger

Boolit Bub

Question Blue Dot and the 480 Ruger

Can Blue dot powder be used in a 480 Ruger for light loads shooting coated 335 Cast bullets ?

Boolit Grand Master
    I would try 15 grains to start, and work up to a max of 17.0 grains.

Be aware that this is simply an estimate based on my experience with this powder in other cartridges. I have no experience with it in the 480. The only 480 loads I have personal experience with involve 2400 and H-110. More simply put, this my WAG.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Vendor Sponsor

It may work as far as pressure goes, but you generally can't get enough spin on a heavy for it to stabilize in flight unless it is driven pretty decently. JS...

Edit: Found this Shooter's Reference chart, these are manufacturer's load data, all the slow burning and magnum powders are listed with pressure and velocity stats, but there is no mention of Blue Dot. Usually when you notice a conspicuous absence of a certain load, it's either unsafe, untested, or not recommended and they won't publish it.

https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/480-ruger/

I looked on the burn rate chart, and Blue Dot is faster burning than all of the slow burning magnum powders, it's right close to AA#7 which is pretty much too fast for big bore and heavy boolits.

I will repeat my first comment, you may get it to work safely, but not push that boolit hard enough to stabilize it.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-05-2022 at 12:32 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I've used Blue Dot extensively in the 44 mag with cast bullets and can recommend it - I would also start with 15.0 grs and work up until things get vicious...Blue Dot typically likes a mostly filled case.