Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Vaquero - Fair price?

Boolit Buddy

Vaquero - Fair price?

I’ve been offered a very nice condition 5-1/2” 2001 Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt with extra 45ACP cylinder and 200 rounds of factory ammo. Finish is blue, frame has a case hardened looking finish. Comes with original box. Price is $650. I’m going to inspect it tomorrow, but would appreciate thoughts on whether the price is reasonable and whether there is anything in particular I should look out for. Thanks.

Vendor Sponsor

All things considered, that's a very fair price for a blue/color case convertible.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah that’s a good price for right now. They are going for $750-850 around here.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

It'd be a fair price even without the ammo.
    With it- That brings the price of the gun closer to $400.

If anyone else has been offered that deal and you think about it for very long--- it'll be gone.
    If it had been offered to me, I'd 'think about it' for less than two seconds.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

In "my neck of the woods", at $800.00 to $850.00 this would be a bargain! Of course, this is in concert with the firearm being in pristine condition, too! A friend passed about a year ago and his widow advertised -- and it was sold in a milli-second or two -- one as yours sans any ammunition or the (factory) box -- it came in a Flambeau plastic after-market case, and is the stainless steel version. Also -- I do not recall which one it is -- but, purportedly, one cylinder (I think ??? the .45 Colt ???) was never employed, ever! (Shooter bought it and used it to complement his Colt 1911 variant.)
    If it were me (and I was younger and had the cash) I'd jump on this!!!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I'll echo the other posters with the comment; "Fair deal."

The blued guns,, with the color case hardened finish,, if factory is NOT case hardening. It's a coloring process tried by Ruger & can fade, rust etc. Otherwise a good gun!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, yes, Yes, That is a good price without the other cylinder.
    Tony

I think that’s a great price, although I was unable to sell one recently on a local gun forum at $625, with trade considerations included. I guess I waited too long, should have done it when everybody had they stimmy checks.
    Slavin' away for the Takers - I make it, They take it.

Grab it!

DG

Boolit Master

I'd buy that one in a heartbeat, even though I don't need it. But, what does need have to do with a firearms purchase?
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

At that price you are getting the extra cylinder for free.
    Jump on it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Many thanks to everyone. I bought it, it’s in fabulous shape. Slight mark on the blue near the muzzle from a holster I guess. Comes with ruger special edition case, boxed extra .45 ACP cylinder, and all the original ruger paperwork. The case hardened colors on the frame are very cool, although I understand this may be a finish vs. real case colors. I think I will send for a letter from Ruger once I get ahold of it, we didn’t have time to do the transfer today.

Good on ya!

It reminded me of a deal I got in on about 10 years ago with the young fellas I used to work with.
    One had a Springfield XD in .45ACP. He needed quick money, and it was in its hard case with all the extra
    mags., holster, the full kit for them and had been fired with one box of cheap hardball. He wanted $350 for it.

Another guy said he was interested, but needed to think about it a few days,
    talk to his Dad, go to the range, shoot it some, and he'd let him know.

Later that day I asked my co-worker if he wanted to wait on all that, or give me a ride to the ATM machine.
    -----The XD is still in our night stand.

EVERYONE!

You did good, likes been said.
    Especially with both cylinders and the ammo.
    I have one like it and would've jumped on that one anyway.
    But I like the 45 colts, 2 Rugers, a BH convertible and Vaquero, a Uberti colt clone,
    Rossi 92, and a Marlin Cowboy.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    You got a good deal those dual cylinder vaqueros were a limited run done by Ruger for a distributor called Davidson's back in the 90's and all though Ruger dosen't do letters you can look up the serial number on there website to find the year of manufacture.

Boolit Master
    I had one in 45 L.C.- Super accurate with 7 1/2 grains Unique and a 255 lead boolit. Wish I had it back.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    Many thanks to everyone. I bought it, it’s in fabulous shape. Slight mark on the blue near the muzzle from a holster I guess. Comes with ruger special edition case, boxed extra .45 ACP cylinder, and all the original ruger paperwork. The case hardened colors on the frame are very cool, although I understand this may be a finish vs. real case colors. I think I will send for a letter from Ruger once I get ahold of it, we didn’t have time to do the transfer today.
    I sold a Lipseys limited edition New Model Blackhawk Flattop convertible 45 that I had honed the cylinders to .4525" plus recut the forcing cone to 11 degrees, and worked the hammer pad down to remove creep, installing a Wolff 30oz. spring upon reassembly. It was a SWEET gun with ZERO thread choke and a sweet deal for the buyer. I often regretted selling it.

5 years later he messaged me and was considering selling it. He wanted $750 for it which was more than he paid for it, and it has that holster wear on the muzzle. I didn't blink twice before I bought it back from him.

It has a certificate of authenticity that came with it from Lipseys. It has a 3rd cylinder chambered in 45 Schofield that I supplied but didn't offer with the gun the first time so now I have that to add to it.

You got a great deal on a very choice gun, I STILL want a medium frame New Model Vaquero blue/color case 5 1/2" I was looking at a listing for Bud's on GB, the end of the box said blue/cc and before I could click on it to buy it, it was sold. Rats! And some other expletives...
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-02-2022 at 08:59 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    5 years later he messaged me and was considering selling it. He wanted $750 for it which was more than he paid for it, and it has that holster wear on the muzzle. I didn't blink twice before I bought it back from him. ..
    That reminds me of my buddy's and my S&W Model 52.
    We've sold it back and forth to each other a few times, and the price goes up a little each time.
    The last time when I bought it,
    he said it wasn't as good as a part time job, but we were both making quite a few extra bucks off of it.

EVERYONE!