Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Luger Fans Onboard?

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's

Any Luger Fans Onboard?

Looking at this, Really not sure about it, I think it's pre-Nazi

Comments welcome btw

Boolit Bub
    I am no expert , but all Lugers are sleek and sexy .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Armorer77 View Post
    I am no expert , but all Lugers are sleek and sexy .
    I have to agree with you!

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I have a couple comments....

1) Man, that's a beautiful pistol! Those things just ooze soul and sophistication.
    2) I wish I had one just like it.

Enjoy it! And please shoot it...They deserve to speak. Locking one in the safe is a crime.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to help work gun shows with a gentleman who literally wrote books on the Luger. His name is Tom Heller and he lives and breathes the Luger. I should call him and see how he’s doing, it’s been too long… The last time I saw him he had an original Luger carbine he had just purchased. Quite the beautiful piece!

Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    Yeah, I have a couple comments....

1) Man, that's a beautiful pistol! Those things just ooze soul and sophistication.
    2) I wish I had one just like it.

Enjoy it! And please shoot it...They deserve to speak. Locking one in the safe is a crime.
    Not if the barrel is shot out.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I'm dumber than a cow pie about Lugers but I do have one ..shot it ..cannot hit with it and I very sucessfully big game hunt with a SBH .44mag

I will say you DO NEED TO investigate what you have ..I have looked at a lot of Lugers ..never seen that Mauser logo on the toggle before ..also never seen that type of finish either (appears like later technology than WW2 era) ..I do know since WW2 there have been several companies "tool up" and build Lugers or Luger look alikes (I am not saying yours is a look alike as I am not qualified to do so) ...I'm working from long ago memory but it was kind of like when Browning either quit the Hi-Power or it"s patents ran out ..every one built some
    The other thing ..from memory ..there were some odd calibers offered ..like 30 Mauser and MAYBE a couple of other European calibers ..so know your ammo requirements
    It is still a fine looking pistol any one here would love to own! ..good luck in your research!

Bear

I probably think I know enough to be dangerous, but: The 42 on the top of the receiver ring indicates manufacture in 1942, so that would not be pre-Nazi. Overall, the pistol looks a great deal like the "Black Widow" series which were stamped 44 on the receiver ring. They did not have the Mauser logo on the toggle, but rather "byf" which was the wartime code for Mauser. Mauser made the last run of Lugers for WW II concurrent with the maufacture of P-38 pistols, and yours was made after production resumed but before the wartime codes were applied. So I would say that your pistol is a bit unusual. I have no clue as to it's value.

DG

This an insert from the below link which may give you some more info:

The Swiss Parabellum 06/29 continued in production until 1946. In 1969, after purchasing the Swiss 06/29 tooling, Mauser Werke in Oberndorf restarted Parabellum production, which ceased in 1986 when the last commemorative model was produced.[48] While new Mauser Luger production ended at this time, pistols continued to be assembled and sold from parts on hand until the 1990s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luger_pistol

Bear

Boolit Buddy

Gator:

You have a 1942 Mauser Banner Commercial Luger. Most Lugers made for commercial sale had the Mauser "Banner" logo stamped on the toggle. Many were typically accompanied by magazines with black plastic floorplates, although yours appears to be aluminium. Some had plastic grip panels, but many featured wood.

These are an enthusiastically sought-after Luger variant. I don't keep up with values due to the hundreds of variant / details combinations, but assuming all the numbers match (small parts have last two of four digits) and the rifling is clean and sharp, that could be worth betw. $3000 and $4000 to the right collector. Maybe more in the 2022 market.

HTH,

Noah

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not a fan, but I do have one.
    Kind of lucked into it.
    Pre WWII
    They are kind of quirky to me.
    Little to well made, for it's own good.
    They do bring lots of attention when shooting at the range.
    Sadly, mines spends majority of it's time in the safe.

Boolit Master

Acquired one that was from the late 20's military model. Brother of a relative who essentially gave it to me. I remember the wooden grips were paper thin with checkering! This was 1986. I sold it for 750.00 ( which I thought was crazy ) and gave the relative the money and admonished her, just because something is not of interest to you does't mean it's worthless.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master

Be careful how much you pay ... lots of money can be spent on P-08's and there are a lot of ... shall we say "Misrepresentations" out there .
    Be sure you are getting what you are paying for .
    I don't know Doodly-Squat about them ... my Luger is a Walther P-38 .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I shot a Luger once.

I had two coworkers, one had a Luger, the other wanted to buy it.
    Price was $4000 a bargain in 2002.
    As he said, "I was offered $6100 for it".

But he had never shot his Luger 'cause it's collectable so how do we know if it goes bang?
    Yes it went bang, and I got one turn, pistol was like new.
    Deal was made, new owner paid $3800. The pistol came with a memo pad detailing the WWII pickup.
    They don't make them like that anymore.

Wanna hear a funny story? Back around 1980 I used to walk to and from work to try and stay in shape, about 3 miles each way. I had a friend who ran an auto parts store, and it was located on the route I walked. The owner and I were both PPC shooters and would converse at the local match on Saturdays. He told me that he had a Luger, all matching numbers, which he'd like to sell for $250. It wasn't in the best condition externally, but the bore was still good and everything worked. Around the middle of the month I got an overtime check for $480, cashed it, and in walking home from work I stopped into the auto parts store and bought the Luger.

Then the owner asked me if I wanted to buy another, this time from the previous owner of the store, now retired, who was a WW II Vet, and who lived about a mile farther down the road, still on my way home. I stopped in and the guy took me out to his garage where he had it in an old ammo can in pieces. The trigger lever and its pin were missing from the sideplate and one of the grips was cracked in half. Also, more rust than the first purchase. So I offered him $200 and he was a bit miffed, as he said he knew I'd given $250 for one just half an hour ago (obviously there had been a phone call), but I pointed out the necessity to buy some parts and new grips, so he decided to take the offer. Best thing was, when I got home I still had $30 in my pocket!

Anyway, I spent a lot of time polishing them out by hand and then re-blued them. See below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005253.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	301680
    Click to enlarge

DG

Boolit Master

You are smart and a lucky dog! Every gun I would like to handle a little today, has long ago been traded or sold. A couple of them I wish I still had.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

had a few - now down to last one - BYF 42 all matching -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

Every time I hear the word "Luger" I want to kick my behind. I let a really nice one with matching numbers and a fair price get away from me.

A few years ago me and a few Buds went to the Tulsa Gun Show. We were sitting around one of our rooms talking and having a few drinks. One of my buddies pulled out this Luger that his Grandfather brought back from WW2. I didn't buy it because I was thinking about having yet another firearm that I didn't shoot. I had the money for it and enough to buy something else at the show. Hindsight............!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    had a few - now down to last one - BYF 42 all matching -
    Those are sexy and loved the story's Thanks for posting up!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wanna hear a funny story? Back around 1980 I used to walk to and from work to try and stay in shape, about 3 miles each way. I had a friend who ran an auto parts store, and it was located on the route I walked. The owner and I were both PPC shooters and would converse at the local match on Saturdays. He told me that he had a Luger, all matching numbers, which he'd like to sell for $250. It wasn't in the best condition externally, but the bore was still good and everything worked. Around the middle of the month I got an overtime check for $480, cashed it, and in walking home from work I stopped into the auto parts store and bought the Luger.

Then the owner asked me if I wanted to buy another, this time from the previous owner of the store, now retired, who was a WW II Vet, and who lived about a mile farther down the road, still on my way home. I stopped in and the guy took me out to his garage where he had it in an old ammo can in pieces. The trigger lever and its pin were missing from the sideplate and one of the grips was cracked in half. Also, more rust than the first purchase. So I offered him $200 and he was a bit miffed, as he said he knew I'd given $250 for one just half an hour ago (obviously there had been a phone call), but I pointed out the necessity to buy some parts and new grips, so he decided to take the offer. Best thing was, when I got home I still had $30 in my pocket!

Anyway, I spent a lot of time polishing them out by hand and then re-blued them. See below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005253.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	301680
    Click to enlarge

DG
    Love em and great story, Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast