RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Call fom an old friend

Boolit Master

Call fom an old friend

I received a call yesterday from an old friend who wanted to know what his Colt SA is worth. Many years ago, a gun shop in Orange County, California called The Stockade had a sale on Colt single actions for $375. I called my friend and told him to buy one in 44 Special, which he did. It has a 4&5/8 barrel. He never fired the pistol and now he needs some money, thanks to Newsome and sleepy Joe. Don't we all? The gun is still in the box. I went on Gun Broker and checked on what the Colts or selling for. The prices are over the rainbow. From what I saw I think the pistol is worth around two thousand. What do you guys think? He also has a Winchester 1892 in 38-40 and one 1894 in 30-3o. I have too many guns already and I don't need another Safe Queen.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I've been slowly thinning the herd for years now.

I don't shoot as much as I used to, or hunt anymore- except for those squirrels robbing my bird feeder.
    I've been selling off weapons-- not so much to raise money, but to get them back out into circulation
    to guys who want, will use, and appreciate them like I did in years gone by.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've been slowly thinning the herd for years now.

I don't shoot as much as I used to, or hunt anymore- except for those squirrels robbing my bird feeder.
    I've been selling off weapons-- not so much to raise money, but to get them back out into circulation
    to guys who want, will use, and appreciate them like I did in years gone by.
    Ed, at my age I should be doing the same thing. I have some beautiful single shot rifles I have not shot in years and may not ever shoot again. I just hate the selling and shipping ordeal. I don't trust any of the carriers, UPS, FED EX or USPS.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I did most of mine face to face with buddies or co-workers.
    And a few went on consignment at the local gun store I've dealt with since the early 80s.

He's the guy I took a old Winchester side by side to a few yeas ago.
    When I told him the issues with it, he told me,
    "Yeah,,,, if it wasn't something real hard, you would have fixed it yourself".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I received a call yesterday from an old friend who wanted to know what his Colt SA is worth. Many years ago, a gun shop in Orange County, California called The Stockade had a sale on Colt single actions for $375. I called my friend and told him to buy one in 44 Special, which he did. It has a 4&5/8 barrel. He never fired the pistol and now he needs some money, thanks to Newsome and sleepy Joe. Don't we all? The gun is still in the box. I went on Gun Broker and checked on what the Colts or selling for. The prices are over the rainbow. From what I saw I think the pistol is worth around two thousand. What do you guys think? He also has a Winchester 1892 in 38-40 and one 1894 in 30-3o. I have too many guns already and I don't need another Safe Queen.
    I bought one just like it in the 1980’s, and I think about the same price - but I’ve shot mine extensively; it’s not a safe queen.

In the shape you describe, I'd say it’s easily worth at least $2200 - probably closer to $2500. Most Colt people would snap it up at $2K.

Boolit Grand Master
    2,000+ in my view. Popular gun and rare caliber? Solid gold!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I will pass the word to my friend Rich. After I talked Rich into buying the Colt SA, he called me, about a year later asking me why I didn't talk him into buying one that was nickel plated. I told him I had hard enough time getting him to buy the blued one. Ghezz. Buy the way, it would have been nice for all of you guys to visit the Stockade. In the 1970's it had over a million dollar inventory.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Thanks guys. I will pass the word to my friend Rich. After I talked Rich into buying the Colt SA, he called me, about a year later asking me why I didn't talk him into buying one that was nickel plated. I told him I had hard enough time getting him to buy the blued one. Ghezz. Buy the way, it would have been nice for all of you guys to visit the Stockade. In the 1970's it had over a million dollar inventory.
    Went to "the Stockade" several times back in the day 1972-79 when I lived in Sunny Hills area of Fullerton. It was like stepping into heaven.
    Surprisingly, "the Grant Boy's" was a lot of fun also.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master
    I was in there just a few years back--2016?--and they still were a pretty neat place to go. I have left California to live in America, but I have fond memories of browsing the Stockade, they had lots of guns.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I agree. Start at 2K and go up from there..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek