Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping your rifle to JES Reboring.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.

Shipping your rifle to JES Reboring.

This is addressed to the members in general.
    IF you have used JES Reboring services, how did you ship your firearm? FedEx, Ups, or some other carrier?
    I've got one to go, but not sure of best way to ship it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Man
    I have shipped about a dozen rifles to JES via UPS without any issues.

I used UPS and JES returned it via USPS. I wouldn’t send my trash via FEDEX !

Boolit Master
    I used USPS to JES, have received C&R many times by USPS, in Wyoming, local postal workers handle firearms in the mail without getting excited or upset, once in the box and on the way, nobody notices. There are no requirements to flag the shipment as a firearm. If questioned, it is precision machined parts.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    What kind of declaration had to be made to UPS?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you send just the barrel, eliminates any and all problems
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Yup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I used USPS to JES, have received C&R many times by USPS, in Wyoming, local postal workers handle firearms in the mail without getting excited or upset, once in the box and on the way, nobody notices. There are no requirements to flag the shipment as a firearm. If questioned, it is precision machined parts.
    if a handgun it is a federal felony for any individual or C&R 03 to ship it via USPS - only class 01 + a few other classifications can legally ship handguns via the USPS -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    What kind of declaration had to be made to UPS?
    There is a vast difference between the ways USPS and private shippers like UPS/FEDEX operate/do business.

USPS has to follow established government regulations.

Private shipping companies can (and do) write their own rules - if one doesn't care for their rules, use a different shipping method.

UPS & FEDEX have a shipping form for customers to fill out, and one of the boxes is for a full description of the contents; so, if a sender lies about the contents, and something happens during shipping, they will not take responsibility for any missing or damaged goods (their insurance won't pay up due to the lie).

USPS Postal Clerks are required to ask only 5 or 6 questions about mailability ( like: are the contents explosive, liquid, flammable, fragile, etc, etc ?)

Parcels sent via UPS/FEDEX are routinely handled willy-nilly.

Parcels sent USPS Priority Mail must be signed for every time a different USPS employee handles the parcel>

I always mail long guns USPS ( I cannot use USPS for handguns like an FFL is allowed to), marking the parcel "fragile" on all surfaces of the parcel.

BTW, when speaking about a parcel that contains a gun with a USPS Postal Clerk, it would do good to remember that even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if it would only keep it's big mouth shut.

Last edited by pietro; 06-30-2022 at 06:13 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

USPS for rifle, no attestations.

I shipped my rifle by USPS it got there fine, it was shipped back via USPS and was damaged, USPS denied the claim. I think JES could have done a better job protecting the trigger by removing it or putting the wood shroud I made and zip-tying the action to the wood end caps to prevent the action form sliding and moving around inside of the box. Rifle trigger punched through the side of the cardboard and broke off at the pivot.

I made a small box from extra heavy cardboard wrapped around wood 2 x 4 end caps and held together with large plastic cap roofing nails and packaging tape. By looking at it it did not look like a gun could be inside of the box.

Jesse said he only needed the barrel. That made it simple. Thanks everyone for your input.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Sent my rolling blocks barreled action and extractor to JES via usps without any problems and that's how Jesse returned it. Very quickly I might add.

No matter how I ship, I package like I know the handlers are going to intentionally try to destroy it. For gun I double box and wrap in bubble wrap and packing materials so it cannot move in the box. I also use an inordinate amount of packing tape, especially on seams and corners. Knock on wood, no problems so far( I even hate to say it).

Boolit Master
    No argument about handguns and USPS. USPS normally does NOT does not do handguns. Rifles, shotguns have different rules. Pack carefully, I have received firearms that had the barrel break though the end of the container. Muzzle or barrel really needs the ends secured in the container.

Contact Jessie and ask him which carrier he has had the best service from. I sent him two barreled actions over the years, but I don't recall if the box and ship store used FedEx or UPS.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    No argument about handguns and USPS. USPS normally does NOT does not do handguns. Rifles, shotguns have different rules. Pack carefully, I have received firearms that had the barrel break though the end of the container. Muzzle or barrel really needs the ends secured in the container.
    Put blocks of wood at the ends to prevent punching through and as mentioned above also secure so it will not move inside the box. Zip tie it to the blocks to prevent movement and pack with dense packing.

I bought a Mint Condition 1960 mfg (4) - screw S&W M17 that punched through the box and dinged the front sight. Seller had it wrapped in bubble wrap but barrel slipped inside the wrap and punched through.

Boolit Master

Packaging should be the concern. Good packaging and adequate insurance.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine went via USPS and returned the same way.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Luckily Jesse told me in a subsequent call only the barrel needs to be shipped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast