Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why so expensive?

Boolit Master

why so expensive?

looking around a bit I came across American reloading has lots of primers in stock but they are $150/1000 for small and $100/1000 for large it seems.
    they have unix primers. these things , geez, for a few years Grafs couldn't give these things away and now all of a sudden they are $150/1000.
    personally I will never again do business with American reloading because they pulled a bait and switch on me once. that's all the chances I ever give a seller, 1 chance to do things right.
    I think we as we are the primary customers for primers deserve an explanation. or should we just boycott these sellers who are scalpers. and do without until inventories normalize again. and then stock up. I firmly believe that inventories will normalize again and this craziness will end for a little while anyway. ive seen this craziness several times in my life so far and things always have returned to normal.
    inventories are coming back, I think most of us have noticed powder is not so hard to find anymore and most Walmarts have ammo in stock and you can even buy ammo direct from cci for in lots and lots of calibers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not boycott a company that is 'scalping'. It only hurts me.

If the company you mentioned had Winchester primers at $35/k next year, would you buy them for $45/k from Midway?

If I am desperate enough to "need" primers at $150/k that is my problem. I might be thankful to get any and pay the price. Many folks have!

It is a matter of differentiating "need" vs "want". I do not need to shoot 5000 rounds a year but I want to. I need enough primers to load hunting and self defense ammunition for a bit of load development, sighting in and practice. When I was competing, I "needed" over 15k primers a year but this not a real "need". It is a fun...I do not earn my living shooting targets.

Plinking is a lot of fun but not a need. I now plink with air guns. Trigger time is trigger time...at least for me.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Dverna "I do not boycott a company that is 'scalping'. It only hurts me."

I wholeheartedly agree with that view. To play devil's advocate: The particular vendor may have gotten complaints from its customers, "Why have you got NO primers for sale?" Vendor decides Oh Well, I'm going to have buy into that market holding my nose just to keep what customers I have left. With the current numbers what they are everywhere. I'm sure he paid more than he ever did for what supply he obtained. Oh Well.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

What are 'unix primers'? Is the OP, perhaps, referring to Genix Primers? If so, those are NATO standard and are used in a goodly percentage of Euro-nation military ammo. I'm working my second case of Genix Large Rifle and every time I open a fresh tray to fill a primer tube I wish I'd tagged another when those cases were $151 and change, to my door.

While I no longer maintain an FFL, I've seen the current dealer price lists for U.S. mfg. primers and, once production begins to catch up with demand, rock-bottom retail is going to be in the range of $80-$90 a brick + sales tax (add shipping/hazmat, if ordered online). All I can say is "Get used to it." 'cause the 20th Century ain't never comin' back.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Any thing is worth what a motivated buyer will pay a motivated seller.
    I was motivated to buy primers when Soetoro was president
    and got screwed for $30/1000 by outrageous Alaska gouging.

Five years ago this 1600sq' house I am in sold for $80k
    It was built 1978 and looks it.
    Now Zillo says $315K
    I should find a Californian that really needs this house and sell it to him for $400k.
    Arizona is such a bargain for real estate.

Boolit Master

yes they are pricey but the price includes shipping and hazmat, when you figure that in to the lower priced guys, it comes out real close. and they have them right now, no back order.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m lucky that I started getting into flintlocks just before the crisis started. I still have a stock left when I want to shoot my other guns, but I don’t use near as many primers as before.

I too don’t like seeing the prices where they are. I see ads on Gunbroker and picture the sellers smiling. I see markups at the store that were ~35% and now it’s ~70%. The cost of buying groceries has gone up quite a bit. Perhaps prices will come down but it might take a while.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Bub
    EVERYTHING is more expensive now compared to last year....and I suspect next year prices will be higher still!

If you don't like the price. Don't buy them. Very simple. The best you could do is order enough so you don't have to spend so much on HAZMAT.

ACC

Boolit Master
    Primers or anything for that matter are only worth the price that someone is willing to pay. Case in point, Auctions. Ever seen anyone pay more at an auction for something than they can go get it new at a retail store? Happens on fleabay all the time.
    If you want cheap primers, use cryptocurrency. There was an outfit on the net that had powder and primers for normal price, but you have to pay with cryptocurrency.

If you really want things to change, we have to take our country back from the idiots that are "in charge".
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    It's all Russia's fault . . . . I know 'cause I listened to our fearless leader yesterday . . . and we know he never lies . . . ."Russia, Russia,Russia . . . "

I don't know if they are scalping or not because I'm not privy to what "their" cost was . . . but remember one thing . . . their overhead has gone up just like what you have to pay for your electricity, insurance, etc . . . . and also realize this . . . in many locations, commercial rate for such things is often more than what a private citizen pays. A good example . . . when I had my shop years ago, I had to pay commercial rate for electrical service . . . TWICE what the apartment dwellers paid in the apartments that were just across the street from me . . . and the electricity for my shop came from the same wires that their electricity came from.

Everything is "supply and demand" . . . . and there is a big difference between "need" and "want". If a person or a business puts a price on something, you have to decide for yourself if you are a "willing buyer". If not, then walk away and look somewhere else . . . maybe you'll find it cheaper, maybe you won't. Primers, powder, etc. are no different than any other consumable item . . . . are you paying the same for gas or diesel today that you did two years ago?

I know guys who shoot a lot . . . and now some are crying because they can't find primers and are running out and if they do find any, the price is ridiculous. Well . . . O.K. So tell me, if there was a shortage of peanuts, and you loved them but could only find one can, would you sit down and eat the entire can . . . or would you just eat a couple a day to make them last longer? And down the road several months, if there was still a shortage and you lucked out and found another can, would you expect them to cost less?

Instead of complaining about a business that is trying to stay afloat during all of the mess, much of which is intentional thanks to the current political situation, complain to those who represent you and make it very clear that if they don't start working for the American Citizen, they will get their walking papers at the next election.

I truly am sorry that the prices of components is through the roof . . . but if you have the extra money to even consider buying such things, consider yourself lucky . . . many are just struggling with the choice of whether they put gas in the car, pay their heat and lights, buying a new pair of shoes for their kid or putting food on the table for their family. . . . . and that includes many business owners.

Meanwhile . . . we have a government who wastes our hard -earned tax dollars on who knows what . . . . but they have no problems stockpiling ammunition for government agencies such as the IRS. And people wonder why the high cost of primers?

Boolit Master
    Something to consider. What is "scalping/gouging" to the buyer is likely considered "pricing them for what they're worth" to the seller. Especially if the seller is a retail establishment that has to make a profit in order to keep the lights turned on and product on the shelves.

I agree; the prices for primers are stupid high. The question is, how badly do you want/need them?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Also keep in mind, that we are not the primary consumers of primers; ammunition manufacturers are. If a primer is going to be diverted from that supply chain, and sold to us lowly hobbyists, those involved must have a financial incentive to do so. The cheapest primers I have found, were NOS Tula, at a local pawn shop. I'm sure that he has sold out by now (and will never get any more), but even those were $70 per 1k.

I see ammo on the shelves here like I have not in years. They'll supply primers soon to keep sales going. Then, all of a sudden, everyone will have primers. I think the new average price per thousand will be $70.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

The short answer of why things cost as much as they do is because enough people will pay that price to make it profitable.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Seems like this same price / availibility thing went on with 22 LR ammo ... or did I just dream that ?
    What years was that ... anyone remember ?

The reason I ask ... is I was going through some old ammo boxes , shooting boxes and ammo carrying bags and I found more 22 LR ammo than I remember buying ... at the time I was also given boxes of 22 LR ammo for Christmas , Father's Day and my birthday and I must have bought even more when the price came back to a reasonable level ... Last Sunday at Cabela's they had Winchester Super - X 22 LR - 222 round packs on sale in retro boxes ... and I bought Two boxes ...444 rounds that I didn't really need ... but they were on sale , no limit and I couldn't stop myself from buying them .
    I may need to seek treatment ... or I could go shooting ... I'm sorta scared of another shortage happening ... if I shoot them ...
    ... what if I can't get more ....
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-01-2022 at 02:39 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    its not like I need primers, I been reloading now for 50 years and probably have more primers than I will use in my life unless I do something crazy like get a mini gun.
    and I researched the unis ginex primers years ago, yes they are a nato supplier and they are the only primer that is waterproof.
    I'm just saying that powder prices are up about 10% from pre-fever prices and about the same with 22's and a lot of other ammo. this makes me seriously wonder about what is going on with primers.
    I remember back during the Obama shortages and that cheap as dirt place was selling 22's at crazy high prices, I forget what it was. $150 a brick maybe, and a bunch of us that were chatting online decided to boycott them, I have not bought anything from them since. sure there are people that have more money than they know what to do with and want to go out and shoot 20,000 rounds in a day and they can afford it but for the rest of us things are a bit different I think. or maybe I dont think and maybe that's my problem. I would just like to know why things are the way they are.

Boolit Master

Simply put; "ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES"

And corrupt election have dire consequences !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast