Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: why so expensive?

There are scalpers on this forum who try to sell used stuff for what they paid for them, or what they seem to think they are worth. Not everybody but some. For example there is a person on this forum who was selling some used Lee molds. One of which I could have used but he wanted more for it than any Midway wanted brand new. The old saying is buyer beware. Right now there are scalpers every where. I bought primers from Zincpoint.com. I bought enough that the HAZMAT and shipping made sense.

Last week my BinL talked me into going to a gun show in Sequin. He was looking for primers. He had thought that the ones from Zincpoint were too expensive so I didn't order any for him. They had some at the gun show but at $150 a thousand. I didn't pay anywhere near that. But he REALLY needed then so he bought them. Buyer Beware.

I don't believe we will ever get back to what primer prices were two years ago. I also believe that since Federal has bought up most if not all ammunition companies we will never see the availability we were all used to.

I don't think Federal is the company we think they are. Personal Experience.

ACC

Boolit Master

i believe you are correct, thats why i paid the 80 a brick for the 209's i needed, had to choke a little but better than coming on here crying and begging for somebody to sell me primers for the good ol days price because they wont pay the going rate.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Simply put; "ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES"

Hitting my ... LIKE Button !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    This is why I have standardized on two cartridges: 357mag and 22LR. When primers cost as much as a middle-market 22 cartridge, the 357 doesn't get much exercise. At 16 cents per primer, which is what they are at my local shop, I would almost rather buy the new Federal Punch ammo and start carrying a 22 for protection, I'm certainly going to practice a lot more. Heck, Midway has some totally acceptable 22LR for down to $0.08 a shot, that's TWO 22LR per primer.

Don't be surprised if you see me talking about getting a new Sig P322 or Kel-Tec P17 as a carry piece.

Of course, when 22LR prices went crazy, it was way cheaper to just shoot the 357. As long as you have both bases covered I think you're good.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    While I no longer maintain an FFL, I've seen the current dealer price lists for U.S. mfg. primers and, once production begins to catch up with demand, rock-bottom retail is going to be in the range of $80-$90 a brick + sales tax (add shipping/hazmat, if ordered online). All I can say is "Get used to it." 'cause the 20th Century ain't never comin' back.
    I highly doubt that. We're about to have a nasty recession, and when we do, there will be all the primers you want at the store, and it won't be anywhere near that price. Prices are high because there is huge demand, but killing people's incomes to zero has a way of shifting that back to normal.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I highly doubt that. We're about to have a nasty recession, and when we do, there will be all the primers you want at the store, and it won't be anywhere near that price. Prices are high because there is huge demand, but killing people's incomes to zero has a way of shifting that back to normal.
    once again your grasp of reality is missing, when the recession hits and people lose their incomes, the demand will drop but when the demand drops to much the manufactures will stop production and lay off workers, they will not keep pumping out primers.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    once again your grasp of reality is missing, when the recession hits and people lose their incomes, the demand will drop but when the demand drops to much the manufactures will stop production and lay off workers, they will not keep pumping out primers.
    I don't know how one could have a grasp of reality about future facts, and neither do you. It sounds like you just really like your opinion.

Primers will still be in high demand even if there is a recession, just not as high as they are now. Firms aren't going to cut production of a product that is selling at huge profits even if the retail price declines. There has never been a time since Obama was elected in 2008 that the ammo manufacturers have even been "caught up." Even in the midst of the 2008-2009 meltdown, ammunition continued to flow into the market and there have been shortages ever since. If you think that will change with this coming recession, I honestly don't know why you would think that, because the last 14 years have shown that is unlikely. Maybe this time will be different, but I highly doubt it.

Boolit Bub
    you should look at prices for percussion caps! IF you can find them. I've been able to score some recently at basspro for 13.99 per tin of 100, which is triple what they used to cost. But check them out on gunbroker for the going rate, PLUS you have to add in shipping and hazmat fees

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12