RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: 45 Raptor Case Question

Boolit Mold

45 Raptor Case Question

Hello everyone, im new and I was hoping to get into buying a 45 raptor brass listing but missed out. I'm currently building an AR10 with a 45 raptor barrel, but one of my snags is going to be getting brass, since production of the brass seems to be on and off.
    I wanted to ask if anyone that reloads for the cartridge knows the best way to form 45 raptor pieces to tide me over whenever Starline isnt producing the brass. Im aware it is labor intensive, but I'm not sure the exact way to form the brass, what the best donor cartridge is, and if there's any caveats to the brass (such as it requiring reduced loads compared to 460SW data)
    Thanks

Here is a start:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...5-Raptor-cases
    And since it is your first post, Welcome!
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Welcome .

A qualifier my 45 Raptor was actually cut with a 45 ACP reamer .

I just necked up 1x 308 . 8mm , 9mm/35 cal , anneal , and up to .451 in the 460 dies . Back the flair die up about 3 turns as the brass is .2-.3" too long . Trim them to 1.8" .

I worked up , but all of the , information says that 460 data may be used directly in in correct head stamp brass . The data that I looked at mostly held to 43-45kpsi . I used an old Mauser so if it went 55 kpsi no problem .
    Avoiding powders like H110 will reduce pressure worries , I used H322 I think with 350s . I did use directly 460 data with 250-265 gr cast .

06' family or Mauser family brass would beat the flair but likely would need to be reamed or turned for neck clearance .

When fire forming leave the flair proud as you won't have any case taper to aid in headspace stops unless you have mountains of 6.5×55 with split necks to trim to length .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I have found 300 savage brass to be the best as you don't have to worry about having to turn the necks or win 308 win. virgin brass does ok but has a hour glass look until first firing and getting to chamber from the mag is also a challenge . with all that being said I load mine with a 405 gr. powder coated bullet sized to .453 using 2400 powder and it is hard on the hog population

Order them from Starline. They show they can be backordered. I have recived two separate orders in about between a week and 10 days. Others are reporting the same. Both orders were back ordered status.