RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Model 19-2 : Inflation is a killer

Boolit Master

Model 19-2 : Inflation is a killer

I just picked up a S&W Model 19-2 at the LGS. I wasn't looking to buy anything; really shouldn't have bought anything. I have too many already, shouldn't spend the money, etc.. The price seemed too good to pass up.

In the non-original box with the gun was the original receipt from 1968, $137. My son was laughing about how cheap guns were way back when, so I brought up an inflation calculator online.

I asked how much he thought the equivalent of that would be, in 2022 dollars. We were both a little surprised to see $1150! It looks like I got a heckuva deal for $400.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19-2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	301656

The target grips were mine already. It came with some "vintage" Pachmayr grips. I know a lot of people like them, but they're not my cup of tea at all, and I always get rid of them as quick as I can.

Boolit Grand Master

I feel your pain. My very first pistol was a model 19 Combat Masterpiece round butt with 2 1/2" barrel. It cost me the exorbitant fee of $116.00!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Police price, which is just minus the 10% excise tax, was $118.50 on that gun in 1971. It took me about 3 months to pay it off, but I've still got it. My daughter will get it when I leave this world...

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I think you did pretty well at $400.00. Wages were pretty low back then too though.

That was a steal IMHO. A pinned and recessed 19 is a thing of beauty and wonder. What it is not is durable enough for a steady diet of magnum loads. Shoot it with +p .38 special loads in magnum brass and enjoy the experience.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don't know about where you're at, but here that would run at least 600 bucks--maybe more. Congratulations on a great find and a great price on a really good gun. My model 66 would be the last gun I'd part with. IMO, the K-frame Smiths are just about the perfect combination of size, accuracy and ergonomics for the average man. Heck, they're pretty darned good even for the exceptional man.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Wow....I think you did exceptionally well! That is one of the world's best handguns ever. I've got one exactly like it in almost new condition. Awhile back a long ago S.O. Deputy visited and we were looking at some revolvers. He examined mine and then didn't want to give it back! I was almost embarrassed to insist that it was staying with me. When I start thinking about which handguns are truly great classics like the 1911, Luger, Colt SAA, the 4" Mod. 19 is equal to any of them. Well done!

DG

Boolit Buddy
    You stole that thing! I scored a similar no-dash 66 a few years ago for $500 or so, but you could easily double your money if you posted that gun on gunbroker. My first love will always been the N frame (the OG) but the K frame is a nice carrying and light weight gun that I prefer if I'm not shooting magnums.

It isn't just inflation, either. That is an antique. Many collectors desire the pinned and recessed guns over new ones. They haven't made them in nearly 40 years at this point, so the number of them out there and the demand for them has pushed the price up. I haven't had any issues with my newer revolvers, but there's something really special about the antique ones.

Now if I could just afford a 27! I'll take mine in 6" please.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I think you did pretty well at $400.00. Wages were pretty low back then too though.

I agree. The only problem I had with the price was how I injured my shoulder pulling my wallet out really fast. I think there might be a scorch mark on my pocket.

I bought my model 66 no dash maybe ten years ago the same way, used at a LGS for $350. It's a favorite. I've always liked the Model 19; a family friend has one. I grew up with his kids and am still good friends with the family. The old Model 19 was the family "cougar repellent" that was taken along whenever anyone went for a walk out in the woods and hills behind the house.

The 66 and now this model 19 will be used with 98% .38 Special ammo. I have a 686 and a 28-2 if I want to shoot a lot of .357 Mag, but to be honest I really don't shoot a lot of magnum ammo in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    When I start thinking about which handguns are truly great classics like the 1911, Luger, Colt SAA, the 4" Mod. 19 is equal to any of them. Well done!

DG
    Thank you.
    It's funny, the older I get, the more I have come to appreciate the classics. When I was younger, I wanted the latest and greatest, wasn't interested in obsolete, old single action revolvers. A few years ago I got my first SAA clone, A Cimmaron Pistolero. I get it now- I've shot many hundreds of rounds through it. With people paying $50/box for .45 Colt ammo nowadays, I'm sure glad I cast and reload for it.

$400 would have been a good price 10 yrs ago.

You stole it! In my area, if you took a pretty decent 19 to a gun show and ask $600-$650, depending on the condition, you would be flogged with $100 bills.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    You stole it! In my area, if you took a pretty decent 19 to a gun show and ask $600-$650, depending on the condition, you would be flogged with $100 bills.
    If he'd take that kind of money, I'd buy it from him right now at that price. That is a C&R gun, too.

It's odd to me but 19's bring serious money and L frames, here at least, bring $100 to $150 less. 686's, now that gets you back into 19 prices pretty quick.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I'm the present owner of my late FIL's Model 19. He had the barrel replaced after it cracked at each side of that flat spot at the rear of the barrel. S&W fixed the gun and returned it with a letter telling him to quit using high velocity 357M ammo with 125 gr bullets. The letter also suggested practice with 38 SPL, the original cartridge in K frame. I don't shoot magnum ammo in it, but will shoot 38+P. This is because I doubt the pinned barrel can be replaced anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    It's odd to me but 19's bring serious money and L frames, here at least, bring $100 to $150 less. 686's, now that gets you back into 19 prices pretty quick.
    There were no L frames in the pinned and recessed era, so they do not have the collector value of K or N frame guns.