RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 88 octane gasoline

Boolit Master

88 octane gasoline

Anybody know if I can safely run 88 octane gas in an engine rated for 87 octane?
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Grand Master

That's usually high ethanol gas, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    Anybody know if I can safely run 88 octane gas in an engine rated for 87 octane?
    I don't see why not.
    Whatever the additives package is, the difference between 87 and 88 is so small,
    the engine probably won't know the difference.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It used to be that the octane rating for an engine was the minimum requirement. You could always run higher octane. Maybe things have changed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Should work just fine, and no, 88 octane is not necessarily an alcohol fuel. Our 88 octane at one station here is alcohol free.

Boolit Buddy
    here in Oklahoma we have 100% gas from 87 to 93.5 octane you can safely run higher octane without problem its when you go lower that you get pings and knocks .

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, no issues. You could run 93 in it if you wanted, would be a waste of money though.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    That's usually high ethanol gas, so no.
    That's e85

Boolit Master
    The octane number is related to the ability of the engine to avoid "knock" which is when the fuel ignites too soon in the cylinder (the heating of the fuel in the compression stroke causes the fuel to ignite before the piston has moved far enough to smoothly go back down-- which causes a definite knocking sound in the engine and can lead to damage). Higher numbers mean greater resistance to knock. So, you need to use gasoline with an octane rating that is at least as high as the one the engine is rated for. If your engine is rated for 87, then anything above 87 is also OK.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned
    Yes you can run the sbeetz gas ... it's fine . Just keep the price quiet till July 5

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrat78 View Post
    Should work just fine, and no, 88 octane is not necessarily an alcohol fuel. Our 88 octane at one station here is alcohol free.
    Same here at Racetrack 88 is non-ethanol

Google said 88 octane is 15% ethanol and should only be used in vehicles that are flex fuel rated. The higher 88 octane is from the extra ethanol. It's usually cheaper because ethanol is cheaper than gasoline. The higher ethanol could damage fuel system components.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I don't see why not.
    Whatever the additives package is, the difference between 87 and 88 is so small,
    the engine probably won't know the difference.
    Well, it's a little more nuanced than that. If it's 88-E10, then yeah, no worries.

Problem is, there is more and more 88-E15 being sold. The EPA says that E15 is suitable for model years 2001 and newer, however almost no US automakers approve E15 unless the vehicle is already E85 rated.

Toyota, in particular, says absolutely no E15 as it will damage the fuel system and they will not warranty the damage.

Edited to add:
    88 Octane E10 is possible when the low-octane is 86 and the high-octane is 91 (mid is generally a 50:50 mix of low and high...)
    The stations here have 88-E10 AND 88-E15. It's well labeled, so it's hard to confuse, but the 88-E15 is noticeably cheaper
    Last edited by kerplode; 06-29-2022 at 07:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Refer to the owner's manual.

The manual for my Gladiator specifically prohibits use of fuel with >10% ethanol, including 88 octane / E85.

My 2011 Crown Victoria was Flex Fuel rated and ran like crap on E15. Stumble on acceleration, worse than average mileage for the same, average routes driven. A tank mostly full of 87 straightened it out. I did "the other half of the experiment" and tried a second tank mostly full of E85 and it ran poorly again. Didn't go back. YMMV (heh-heh).

Noah

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    I assume this is MN?

In MN, Some Gas stations (Kwik Trip and maybe others) are offering E15 and calling it "Unleaded 88". The label on the pump says it's OK to run in any 2001 and newer cars. In MN, the standard Unleaded (87 octane) is E10.
    https://www.kwiktrip.com/unleaded88

The Cenex gas station near me offers, E10, E20, E30, E50, E85. There is a pretty good price break starting at E30 due to Gov Subsidies. I have two Toyotas (neither are flex-fuel). one is a 2005 Matrix 1.8 ltr and when I run E30 for a couple tanks fulls, it throws a check engine light, with a code about low pressure on Rail #1, but it seemingly runs fine and I get same gas mileage. My 2008 RAV4 with 2.4 ltr runs well and doesn't throw any codes.

Can you safely run Unleaded 88 in your car?
    Maybe, depends on your car.
    Good Luck.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    It should tell you in the owner manual,or it is labeled on the fuel cap E15

Octane ratings are badly misunderstood, most of the time. Many people believe that 91 octane gas is "better" or "premium" gas. Not true. At least, not in a general sense.

If you put 91 octane in an engine that is rated for 87, then you're paying way more than you need to pay AND you're likely getting less mileage. No sense paying more AND gassing up more frequently!

91 gas is for high compression motors and it works well in engines that require it. It supports better performance (mileage, power) in the right engines.

In ALL cases, use what your owners manual tells you to use. You'll be better off, I promise.

As for ethanol, I try not to use it. Note that ethanol ratings are not an indication of octane, nor is octane an indication of ethanol percentage. At least, not in all cases. Read the fine print in your owners manual and read the fine print on the pump. Best to be a knowledgeable consumer. You'll save money at the pump as much as you're able and you'll avoid damage to your car.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

We have non-ethanol Unleaded……It’s 90 octane. I run it in the old Jeep, all ATV’s, outboard, weed-eater, chain saws. It sure does start easy and fuel stabilizes much better!

I ran a tank of e15 in a 1996 Chevy 4.3 v6, on a long trip few years ago, ran fine slight mpg hit think I got 20 compared to the normal 22 highway.

Speaking of ethanol, unless you look hard for ethanol free fuel it's difficult at best to find and in some places simply unavailable in my home state but the auto parts and discount stores still sell Heet and people still buy it.

So long as it makes them feel better then they can have at it.

Boolit Master
    Octane is not ethanol, higher than required octane(88 rather than 87) should not be a problem. Ethanol is only a problem in older engines or in at very high percentages. In older engines it can affect old gasket materials, same at very high percentage in newer engines. Some engines are certified for E85 which is a very high ethanol percentage. Ethanol reduces energy content and also reduces some emissions. Some stations do stock 91 Octane alcohol free gasoline, but it is a super premium product and priced accordingly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast