Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Providence Tool #21 for Win 1895

Boolit Master

Providence Tool #21 for Win 1895

I'm the proud owner of a 1920's made Winchester 1895 chambered for .30 Govt. I've had it a few years now, it's a great shooter but with my old eyes it could be better with better sights. Unfortunately, it wasn't equipped with an original Lyman #21 often seen on these old Winchesters, so I'm looking at the reproduction version made by Providence Tool Co. Reviews seem positive but my main question is about mounting it on an original rifle. I've heard the tap included is needed for Miroku made rifles, but screws included are the correct pitch for the existing frame screw holes on the originals (no tap required). If you have installed this sight, true?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    According to the instructions I have, the thread pitch on original 1895s is 11-36. The Mirokus are metric M5-5. Both holes are the bolt access hole for takedown that already exists in the proper place on the receiver, and apparently, the same size; the metric hole is re-threaded, the original hole is tapped.

Providence sells the taps for $21.95 each, and suggests you thank the WRA Co. for forcing you to go to the expense and hassle of having to use this unique thread size.

The sight is then held in position with the pivot screw and set so the bottom of the sight bar with peep clears the receiver top the thickness of a business card (about 0.015”). A transfer punch is used to mark the receiver at the top of the sight adjustment slot, the sight is removed and the location drilled and tapped to 11-36.

After checking that everything works with the sighting adjustment (and troubleshooting as described if it doesn’t), the screw and sight stud are installed and the ends reduced in length so the bolt doesn’t scrape during operation. This done, the threaded parts are removed, everything is degreased, the threads on the stud are coated with Loctite 262 or 271, and the screw, sight and stud attached. The screw should, of course, be loosenable and removable, but the stud should be in there permanently, as the lever nut is what holds the sight at elevation.

HTH.

Boolit Master

Good Info, thanks. Would you happen to have those instructions as a .pdf and 'emailable'?

Boolit Master
    I can’t make pdfs, don’t hve the App. My scanner on the printer doesn’t always work, but I can try it and see what happens. Maybe Providence has a downloadable version on their site, or can maybe email you one. It’s www.peabodyrifles.com

Boolit Master

Thanks Bent, I’ll give that a try.
    Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk