Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee slugs

Boolit Buddy
    One of the things I like about my Russian slug mold (clone of the Lyman 525 slug) is that it comes with multiple core pins so you can make slugs of varying weight, all the way down to just over 1 oz. So, I can make lighter versions of these very accurate diabolo-shaped slugs. Still requires a bit of tinkering to find the right combo of alloy/wad/load for really good accuracy, but all of the sizes are still better than either size Lee slug or .690 RB.

Boolit Master

Your mold sounds neat.. can you post pictures? Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Your mold sounds neat.. can you post pictures? Thanks
    Amazon beat me to it: https://www.amazon.com/Svarog-Bullet.../dp/B082LNWBQZ

They're a bit overpriced right now, as the supply from Russia must be a problem; I got mine on eBay not long ago for $75, though that was a real deal.

Boolit Master

Wow... Thanks..and thanks for the link. Yeah..price is high..but I see one in my future!

Soundguy: Hot Tip: get a brass mould from Mihec. Much better and available in Standard and full bore versions. https://www.mp-molds.com/bullet-cast..._caliber=12-ga

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

MP molds are nice I have many of their products

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Soundguy: Hot Tip: get a brass mould from Mihec. Much better and available in Standard and full bore versions. https://www.mp-molds.com/bullet-cast..._caliber=12-ga

Randy
    They do have some nice looking molds, especially those double slug and RB molds. Nice that they give you the option of full-bore Lyman style slugs, too. Any idea what the shipping costs are like these days?

Boolit Master

MP molds..due to being over seas..tend to be pricey. Also..they are a brass mold..and a little more tricky to setup, season, and use...but they are nice.. I own a few of them.

most MP molds are also available in aluminum - contact them + ask -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

Never the ones I wanted unfortunately. I actually prefer an aluminum mold.

Boolit Grand Master

I am also a big fan of Mihec moulds. I haven't found any issues using his brass moulds at all other than they like to be run hot. I find that the NOE aluminim moulds I have think they are brass moulds... they like to be run just like my mihec moulds!

A question for anyone that has one... what weight does the full bore Mihec mould cast? The website says 525 grs. but I have to wonder. The pic of the fuill bore slug looks to be the same proportions as the wad slug so if scaled up or simply larger in diameter it would have to weigh more unless lead was reduced from the skirt and/or waist. Since the Russian full bore version weighs 630 grs. I am wondering if 525 grs. is a misprint.

Thanks,
    Longbow

Hmmm... we seem to have drifted from Lee slugs to Lyman/Lyman clones!

So, to get back to teh topic of Lee slugs, I have both Lee 7/8 oz. and 1 oz. moulds and have gotten resonable accuracy from both but not as good as I'd like and not generally as good as round ball out to 50m. That is through smoothbore.

I have also modified the Lee slugs to add a tailwad Brenneke or AQ style which seem to improve accuracy but am still working on that.

I have found that my Lee 1 oz. slugs cast at 0.685" from ACWW where the 7/8 oz. cast about 0.003" smaller at the nose. Both are a loose fit in Winchester 1 1/8 oz. wads so I have been using one layer of paper to snug them up which seems to help. More work to be done though.

Recent range trip with 7/8 oz. stock Lee slugs in Claybuster 1 oz. wads (Winchester clones) resulted in absolute destruction of the wads, gas seals blew and petals sheared on every wad plus the bottom of the shotcups split on the drive key. These were as cast slugs not filled and no nitro card wad under. I will try again with a nitro card wad under the slugs which I normslly do but decided to try without. I won't do that again! I normally fill cavities of HB slugs and/or put a nitro card wad under. These were not a tight fit in the bore either.
    Last edited by longbow; 07-21-2022 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added Lee slug info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123