Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee slugs

Lee slugs

having good results using 1 oz. lee slugs in AA cases with 38.5 grains AA#5 - anyone else loading slugs ? -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

I am using that lee drive key 1oz slug as well..works great. Real 5humper. I like that it fits a wad and you can fold crimp

Boolit Buddy
    What kind of accuracy are you getting out it?
    Cargo

Boolit Master

At 40 yards it's spot on...can chew a hole in the center of a target. Havn't been able to try it any farther.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Im using 800x in a waa12 in a sts hull. No card under the 1oz slug. Accuracy is pretty good for me in a 20in smoothbore to about 60. A card under the slug would help alot.

AA hull, Cheddite Primer 18 gr of Green Dot. Claybuster Blue Slug Wad, 1/8" card under slug. .070 card on top of slug to make it so the Fold Crimp doesn't cave in.

These slugs seem to work best with a Fold Crimp.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    AA hull, Cheddite Primer 18 gr of Green Dot. Claybuster Blue Slug Wad, 1/8" card under slug. .070 card on top of slug to make it so the Fold Crimp doesn't cave in.

Randy
    I'm guessing that you tried them with a roll crimp, right? Amazing the difference the small things make.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    having good results using 1 oz. lee slugs in AA cases with 38.5 grains AA#5 - anyone else loading slugs ? -
    rifled barrel?

Ithaca mdl. 37 DSPS 20" smooth bore - also used them in left full choke bbl. Stevns 311 double , #1 buck in right modified bbl. close point of impact at 30 yards - i believe that the rifled shogun bbls. are designed for use with sabot slugs + not the Foster or Brenneke type - i might be wrong on this point -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 07-11-2022 at 11:15 AM.
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Brenneke Slugs are designed to be used in Rifled barrels or Smoothbores. Any slug that has teh rifling grooves on it is designed to be used in either type of barrel. The grooves are there to collapse as they go thru the choke. If there is on choke that's fine too.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Brenneke slugs could not be designed for rifled shotgun barrels as they were produced many decades [ introduced in 1898 ] before rifled shotgun bbls. came into common production with the exception of the British paradox choke - the grooves were supposed to spin cause produce spin which they did not do - the wads on the Brenneke both sealed bore + kept slugs from tumbling - the heavy nose + large base cavity seled bore + prevented tumbling -

as they say in latin

found this in old Rifleman -
    [A Foster slug, invented by Karl Foster in 1931, is a type of shotgun slug designed to be fired through a smoothbore shotgun barrel.

The defining characteristic of the Foster slug is the deep hollow in the rear, which places the center of mass very near the tip of the slug, much like a shuttlecock. If the slug begins to tumble in flight, drag will tend to push the slug back into straight flight. This gives the Foster slug stability and allows for accurate shooting out to ranges of about 75 yards (about 70 meters). Most Foster slugs also have "rifling", which consists of thin fins on the outside of the slug. Contrary to popular belief, these fins actually impart no spin onto the slug as it travels through the air. Since the slug is fired at a supersonic velocity, the nose of the slug pushing a shockwave creates a vacuum on the side of the slug, where the fins are located. The actual purpose of the fins is to allow the slug to safely be swaged down when fired through a choke, although accuracy will suffer when such a slug is fired through tighter chokes.

It is also possible to fire Foster slugs through rifled slug barrels, though lead fouling (build-up in the rifle grooves) can be a problem."And the article is spot on. They are accurate out to about 70 yards.
    If you learn to "tune" your smooth bore you can take deer to 100 yards.
    The Brenneke slug is similar but superior to the foster .
    Works on the same principle with center of mass forward keeping the nose forward and the slug from tumbling.
    Brenneke slugs tend to be built a little thicker than American fosters and thus tend to penetrate better tho that is really a moot point on the typical whitetail deer now ain't it? ]

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

I found good accuracy with the 7/8 oz Lee and loaded a bunch of them for the “stash.” Killed maybe 15 hogs and one deer with them out of IC choke and called it good.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20BF91EF-500C-478D-A994-D1FF340FC4BD.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	302063
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Randy
    Randy, did you try the Lee slug with a roll crimp. I am curious because after searching, it appears that most every post describes using fold crimps for this particular slug.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I've roll crimped them and gotten good results. I was a little surprised in that I kind of expected the wad slug and roll crimp might not play well together. I figured the petals might hit the edge of the roll crimp and damage the petals but so far no issues that way.

Having said that, I have read some posts that state that fold crimp gives better accuracy than roll crimp for slugs. I have not shot same loads with the two crimps to check that though.

Longbow

What diameter does your mold drop that Lee slug? I have some Slugs are Us Hammerheads in their pressure wads that barely measure .727 which is what my Hastings barrel measures.

schutzen-jager, that 311 double is a lethal combo with the slug and ball.
    Last edited by murf205; 07-12-2022 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    What diameter does your mold drop that Lee slug? I have some Slugs are Us Hammerheads in their pressure wads that barely measure .727 which is what my Hastings barrel measures.

schutzen-jager, that 311 double is a lethal combo with the slug and ball.
    my 1 oz. Lee slugs come out of mold @.677 cast from soft lead - i have not tried a roll crimp only fold -
    yes, the 311 was deadly back in my hunting days - when i first started hunting here in NJ buck shot was only legal projectile for big game , slugs were added later -
    Last edited by schutzen-jager; 07-12-2022 at 05:50 PM. Reason: addendum

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    Brenneke slugs could not be designed for rifled shotgun barrels as they were produced many decades [ introduced in 1898 ] before rifled shotgun bbls. came into common production with the exception of the British paradox choke - the grooves were supposed to spin cause produce spin which they did not do - the wads on the Brenneke both sealed bore + kept slugs from tumbling - the heavy nose + large base cavity seled bore + prevented tumbling -
    It is common Knowledge that the "Lands" on Brenneke Slugs were never designed to Spin the Slug. On the originals the lands were strait. Their sole purpose is to collapse when going thru a choke and the voids between the Lands are where the compressed material flows to. Common American Rifled Slugs are designed the same way and many think they are to spin the slug because the name "Rifled" Implies that. It don't happen.

All Brenneke Slugs will produce increased accuracy when shot thru Rifled barrels, and most of teh heavy duty slugs like the > 1 oz. Slugs are designed specifically for Rifled barrels. The 1.5 oz Magnum Crush is for rifled barrels only.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Randy, did you try the Lee slug with a roll crimp. I am curious because after searching, it appears that most every post describes using fold crimps for this particular slug.
    Murf: Yes I did and the results were all over the place. The fold crimp supports the slug and wad thru the transition from chamber to barrel, and the rolled crimp doesn't. As far as I can tell?

Plus all the loading data for Lee slugs calls for a Fold Crimp. Maybe they figured it out before we did? The rolled part of the crimp doesn't have a flat surface to seat against on the face of the slug. Same with Lyman slugs. The fold crimp just seems to unfold better and cause less disruption than a roll crimp with these slugs.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100465132.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-13-2022 at 03:54 AM.

It is common Knowledge that the "Lands" on Brenneke Slugs were never designed to Spin the Slug. On the originals the lands were strait. Their sole purpose is to collapse when going thru a choke and the voids between the Lands are where the compressed material flows to. Common American Rifled Slugs are designed the same way and many think they are to spin the slug because the name "Rifled" Implies that. It don't happen.

All Brenneke Slugs will produce increased accuracy when shot thru Rifled barrels, and most of teh heavy duty slugs like the > 1 oz. Slugs are designed specifically for Rifled barrels. The 1.5 oz Magnum Crush is for rifled barrels only.

Randy
    i can find no creditable documentation stating that it is common knowledge of use in any rifled barrel only about the leading problems with rifling- the 1901 Waffen Franconia catalog clearly shows Brenneke slugs with spiral rifling cuts - old letter direct from Brenneke clearly states against use in rifled barrels - they do make other designs for rifled barrels -
    [ Mar 19, 2004

Gentelmen,

we (BRENNEKE) offer different type of slugs.

The Classic Slug
    The Classic slug, the one with the attached felt wad, is not suitable for rifled barrels. Accuracy in not improved compared to a smooth bore barrel.
    in case of any questions you could contact me at wilhelm@brenneke.com

Best regards

Ralph Wilhelm
    BRENNEKE

as they say in latin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast