WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which CB for 45 acp

Boolit Master
    I've used the Lee 200gn SWC since I started casting back in the 80's. The Lee 230 RN and TC have also worked for me. I just like SWC's in pistols.

When I got a Ruger BH in .45Colt I used the 255SWC. Tried them in the 1911 one time. Went back to the 200gn.

I'd get a mold for a boolit that already has plenty of loading data already done for it in that caliber rather than get off
    into uncharted waters or try to re-invent the wheel.
    If you don't see info for those type boolits on the .45ACP page,,,,, it might be for very good reasons.

If you really really feel the need for shooting a 255 in .45cal--- get a .45 Long Colt.
    Plenty of loading data has already been done for that boolit.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have the NOE 454-237-RN-AC4 4 Cavity RG4 PB Brass mold and a SIG 1911. I've shot more than 5000 of these with no failures to fire or feed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE454-237-RN-AC4.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	301655

My go to load is about 6.8 grain of Longshot and I get right around 880 fps out of a 5" barrel with excellent accuracy. I do plan on testing AA2 and AA5 at some point in the future.
    Last edited by 44Blam; 06-29-2022 at 10:29 PM.
    WWG1WGA

MP clones for H&G #68. This one for the win. A classic 45 ACP bullet in a new mold. I really like the one I have.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    NOE has an H&G clone labeled 454-237-RN-AC4. Great bullet, sized .452 works great in all my 45 autos
    +1

I have a 3” 1911, and my reloads with this bullet make the most reliable ammo I’ve shot.

Boolit Master

H&G 68 , I like the BB version, can reload the "throwaway" aluminum SP cases several times with 'em .

Boolit Master
    My Hipoint in 45 acp seems to like the Lee 452-200 RF. So does my Henry BBS in 45 Colt.

Boolit Grand Master
    LEE 200 gr SWC, LEE 225 gr. RN and LEE 200 gr. TLSWC.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    The 4.5/Unique/255 gr. LSWC sounds familiar, but I think I used more like 4.3/Unique. I think I used more like 4.7-5.0/Herco/255 gr. LSWC. This was in the days before chronographs, but I'd estimate velocities at 700 + 25 f/s by the time I obtained reliable slide function. Accuracy was QUITE good, BTW.
    The 5.0/Unique/250 gr. RNFP load that MUSKEG13 mentions sounds like a duplicate of the old .455 Webley round, and I'd expect it to be no less effective if used on "two-legged vermin".
    My Lyman 452664 RNFPs run 255 gr or so, depending on the alloy. Living in bear country, I had stumbled on/started with 4.5 Unique several years earlier seeking a heavier than normal bulleted load in my 1911s, and I was very pleasantly surprised when the initial magazine load cut one ragged hole at 15 paces! In the M1911s, my initial intent was to work up a load comparable to commercial standard pressure .45 Colt lead bullet loads, but I gave up on that quest when accuracy began to fall off as I pushed harder than the lower 800s with the powders I tried. I'd rather have the accuracy and figure that a 250+ gr bullet moving close to 800 fps was good enough for either 2 or 4 legged varmits, despite the internet "expert" claims that no one should set foot in the Alaskan terrain with anything less than a heavily loaded .44 Mag.

I began trying to replicate .455 Webley performance when I got the little Charter Arms Pitbull in .45 ACP and did load comparisons between the .455, .45 ACP and .45 Auto Rim using old Lyman #42 and 43 manuals. Pitbull accuracy has been acceptable but isn't nearly as good as what I get in the M1911s.

I have had good results with the Lee 452-190 SWC. Sized .452" and usually loaded with 5.7 grains of W231 this bullet has worked well in several different 1911s.

I had a lot of trouble with NOE 250ish grain bullets in my 1911. Can't remember the mold number off the top of my head. That big nose gave me a lot of problems because my barrel has no leade so without seating it quite deep, I'd get failures going fully into battery. The Lee TL 228 or 230 grain (whichever weight it is) worked fine for me.
    Google -
    Keepers of the Digital Panopticon since 1998

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    MP clones for H&G #68. This one for the win. A classic 45 ACP bullet in a new mold. I really like the one I have.
    Me, too! I have both a HP 4 cavity and a plain 4 cavity and I find them to be an excellent bullet. I particularly like the HP version, simply because it uses a little less lead. Both are equally accurate in my guns and very reliable.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

The Lee 230gr TC is a good one. Feeds well and hits hard.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a question concerning cast bullets for the 45 Auto. First let me set the stage before I present my question. I am not a benchrest shooter of the 45 Auto. I shoot offhand standing. While I am not in the "all in one hole offhand group" I am farrrrrrr from a lousy shooter of the 1911 45 Auto. Now with that being declared at the beginning why does the Saeco 058 215 grain bullet, one time known as the "bowling pin bullet" rarely if ever mentioned?
    I have 3 Kimbers 3", 4", 5 inch, Springfield 5 inch, 1 Tisas 5 inch and a Tisas 4.25 inch plus 3 Glocks that bullet feeds well in. While it may not shoot with the benchrest accuracy of the H&G 68 or its clones it would take a very, very, very good shooter to see the difference in actual standing on your legs shooting offhand type shooting. Plus it has a .325-.330 inch meplat which should leave a good permanent wound cavity and do well as a self defense bullet plus a good hunting bullet on smaller game if one should want to do that.
    What say the experienced on here?

Boolit Grand Master

45 acp boolits for 1911 and other semi-auto pistols :

Lyman # 452460 , 200 gr. SWC ( my first 2 cavity mould bought in 1967)
    NOE # 453 - 198 - SWC - HP ( my first HP 45 acp mould bought in 2015)
    NOE # 453 - 200 - SWC ( bought in 2016 to replace Lyman 452460 2 cavity ... the Lyman was 49 years old and I got a freaking 4 cavity ... sweet!)

Lyman still catalogs the #452460 in 2 and 4 cavities in steel .... and the NOE moulds are re-creations of this design in 2, 3, 4, and 5 cavity aluminum blocks .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I have a question concerning cast bullets for the 45 Auto. First let me set the stage before I present my question. I am not a benchrest shooter of the 45 Auto. I shoot offhand standing. While I am not in the "all in one hole offhand group" I am farrrrrrr from a lousy shooter of the 1911 45 Auto. Now with that being declared at the beginning why does the Saeco 058 215 grain bullet, one time known as the "bowling pin bullet" rarely if ever mentioned?
    I have 3 Kimbers 3", 4", 5 inch, Springfield 5 inch, 1 Tisas 5 inch and a Tisas 4.25 inch plus 3 Glocks that bullet feeds well in. While it may not shoot with the benchrest accuracy of the H&G 68 or its clones it would take a very, very, very good shooter to see the difference in actual standing on your legs shooting offhand type shooting. Plus it has a .325-.330 inch meplat which should leave a good permanent wound cavity and do well as a self defense bullet plus a good hunting bullet on smaller game if one should want to do that.
    What say the experienced on here?
    I am not real "experienced".

That said, my very first .45ACP/1911 handloads are with the Saeco #58. It feeds well thus far, and groups are a big hole at 5 yards (all I've shot it at so far) out of my 3 inch Springfield Micro Compact Loaded. I've seen 849fps using WSF powder.

If it's a big meplat you are after, the #58 is one to try. Load data available in the #4 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    The 68bb H&G has served me well, Never had a problem. Bullseye @ 5 grains.
    Exactly....

Boolit Master
    The cost of Saeco molds will keep them from being mentioned very often. I do like that it is a truncated cone that’s heavier than 200 grains.

Boolit Master
    If it's a big meplat you are after, the #58 is one to try. Load data available in the #4 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.
    This is a superb bullet for use in .45 ACP, and .45 Colt. It's performed well in all .45 ACP firearms in which I have used it. MISSOURI BULLETS makes a PC version of this projectile, and it is my favorite for .45 ACP.
    I think our original poster is long gone, but the discussion of various .45 ACP bullets has been enlightening.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    The Saeco 058 on the left in all it's glory.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dAW3Vll.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	301730

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast