Boolit Master

BD amp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bd45_09.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	302573
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    BD, sounds interesting--got any pics of your BDacp bullet?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3280.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	302574
    It's the one on the right in the photo, (This post should be titled BDacp). These pop up adds at the bottom of the screen are certainly annoying
    Last edited by BD; 07-25-2022 at 09:40 PM.

Boolit Man
    Lee 230gr TCs works great in any pistol I've tried. Thier 200gr swc works well in 1911s, but doesn't run so hot in Sig P220s.

I am over the moon, with my 4 cavity MP Mold 452-200 RF
    Throws 205 gr HP , came with round and penta, or 215 gr solid.

+1 on the Lee TC PhatForrest posted ! I have the solid from Lee, and got a HP conversion, of the Lee mold, from Erik at hollowpointmolds. That HP casts about 215 gr. They were my do all until I scored the MP.

Not the heavy weights that you were looking at, and just short of Lees 230 gr tier.
    Last edited by Krh1326; 08-02-2022 at 02:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Lyman 452460 200 gr swc.
    Mt Gianni beat me to the punch. Its really hard to beat the 452460.

I do shoot a lot of 452389 for light practice.

I have used the 200 H&G design with 452 AA now WST for years. You can use 231 for a bit more snap, but good accuracy. I gave up on Unique because it burns so dirty, especially in practice sessions involving hundreds and hundreds of rounds. The WST looks more like the gun was never shot.

I shoot in matches involving minor and major loads. With major, the general idea is to have a low extreme spread and standard deviation, then run the accuracy loads just over for a bit of leeway when testing for or at a match.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I’m with Rapier. The Lyman 452374 is an H&G 68 200 grain clone that runs flawlessly in my 1911s, pushed by WST.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I’m with Rapier. The Lyman 452374 is an H&G 68 200 grain clone that runs flawlessly in my 1911s, pushed by WST.
    Are you ABSOLUTELY certain about that statement?

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    #68 is no where near the same profile as the 452374. The Lyman “round ball” profile is what won WWII. Lol If it was good enough for Dad it’s good enough for me. Only change I made in his Colt bring back was I got MiHec clone and now I have hollow point 452374’s. Best all around .45 projectile. IMHO

I have a beautiful 230gr WFN mold for the 45ACP, I'll have to see what mold it is. Looking for someone to cast some for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Oki View Post
    …Lyman 452423 mold 250 grain short nosed Keith…
    Are we looking at a typo here? The 452423 typically comes in around 230-240grains depending on alloy. Lyman 454424 is a bit heavier at 250-260 grains.

And there have been many threads about getting heavyweights to go in a 1911.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t-45-ACP-loads

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ads-Noe-454424

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-in-the-45-ACP

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-boolit-recipe

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...WC-about-45ACP

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ed-The-LBT-LFN

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...cience-Project

And many more.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Are you ABSOLUTELY certain about that statement?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyshooter View Post
    #68 is no where near the same profile as the 452374. The Lyman “round ball” profile is what won WWII. Lol If it was good enough for Dad it’s good enough for me. Only change I made in his Colt bring back was I got MiHec clone and now I have hollow point 452374’s. Best all around .45 projectile. IMHO
    Clearly my head was where the sun doesn’t shine when I wrote that. I’ve cast a ton of 452374s and the number sounded right. That’s what I get for not verifying. I’ll check my molds and see what my 200 grain SWC actually is.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

My sincere apologies! The 200 grain SWC mold I have is a Saeco 069. I’m sure about it now.

Boolit Master
    I started handloading in 1970 and dove into casting in 1973. A local reloader was leaving casting and moving into swaging. I bought his furnace, sizer and 10 or 11 sets of molding blocks for one money. Among those blocks was a 4-cavity Lyman 452460 pattern which has been and still is my favorite 200 grain 45 acp boolit. Loaded over Unique powder this boolit delivers everything I could ask for out of any 1911.

BD, I bought a 6 cavity mould for the BD .45 on the group buy years ago. It's a great boolit! I have long used the Lee TL-230-TC as my main .45 ACP boolit. I use them for hardball equivalent loads and reserve the BD boolits for max loads. That way I can instantly identify them visually.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Grand Master
    Gary and Gianni beat me to the punch. An old loading book the NRA published with info about the 45 said if you have a Lyman 452460, that’s all you’ll ever need.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I like the SWC styles in the 200gr range in my SA 191A1 Range Officer. The 452460 was a winner but being only 2 cavity did not meet my production needs so went to the Lee 68 clone in a 6 cavity mold. An excellent bullet that has proven itself over tens of thousands of rounds in my RO as well as others 1911's. Even in base line 1911's both fed well and were 100% reliable. One issue not mentioned is the magazines used in the 1911, the straight lip GI types can sometimes cause a feeding issue with the shorter SWC bullets. There are aftermarket mags referred to as Hybrid types that have a different lip configuration intended for self defense HP ammo that will feed both ball RN and SWC style ammo. I use these (RO came with 2) with the SWC rounds and have never had problems. My RO will work with the GI types and SWC rounds although apparently some 1911's have issues.

Boolit Master
    I've only used that Last Lee and I would have had to seat it way past it's crimp groove to get it to chamber. Lee #68 and same in an Arsenal mold are doing well with the Lyman 452460. The 225 gr. Lyman round noses are good too but kick a little hard to be enjoyable to shoot all day. A couple of Acme RNFP bullets (200 and 225 gr.) were promising and fed well to boot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234